Dental Health Expert Forum
Infected tooth?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Infected tooth?

I recently had 2 infected teeth removed (4 days ago). It was a wisdom tooth and a molar next to each other. It seems to be healing okay. The pain in the extraction site and my jaw is getting better by the day. I have a hard ball of swelling there that feels hot to the touch. My question is, the tooth next to the ones that were removed was also in very bad shape - a lot of decay. The dentist and surgeon weren't sure if the infection had spread over to that tooth as well, but they wanted to try to root canal it so I can still chew on that side. The pain from that tooth is incredible. I can't bite down on it, tap it or anything. My dentist said he can't root canal it yet because the surgery site is still too new and he might aggravate or rip my stitches. I'm not on antibiotics because I was on the a few weeks ago and got very, very ill from them. My question is, how would I know if the infection from the tooth that is still in there is getting out of control where I would have to get antibiotics before the root canal appointment (which is in a week and a half). I'm worried about getting a really bad or scary infection because I had blood poisoning already once from another infection...
Its hard to say because you're already sore from the extraction.  If you suffer any unusual symptoms, I would tell the dentist right away to get a prescription.  The symptoms may include fever, chills, expanding/swelling of the area, more pain/increase in pain, etc
Thank you. The pain, swelling, and fever kept getting worse instead of better so I ended up having to go on penicillin. Starting to feel better. Have to get a root canal ASAP.
That's good.  Glad you're feeling better.