Dental Health Community
Infection after extraction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Infection after extraction?

Hi there,
After having pain following the 2nd part of root canal treatment, on my upper left 1st molar, my dentist informed me there was an infection around the tooth.  He told me he could give me some antibiotics and try to finish the root canal or extract the tooth.  I was already taking some antibiotics (Cefalexin) prescribed from my Doctor for something else. I decided to have the tooth extracted last Friday (09/09/11).  According to my dentist, the infection came out with the tooth, I continued with my cefalexin. During the weekend the gum tissue around the extraction area became increasingly sore and tender and my gum felt a little swollen close to the cheek, although I did not notice anything unusual when I looked in the mirror, the gum tissue around the extraction area continued to sting when any liquids or even if my tongue slightly touched the area.  I followed the correct aftercare advice.  I did not start the salt water mouth wash until 24 hours later. Today I went back to my dentist who seems to think it may be an infection in the gum, but not in the socket.  He injected my gum with anaesthetic, which was very painful, as it was already sore. He removed some sort of "debris" from the socket, used a corsodyl filled syringe to wash/clean, then packed it with some clove dressing.  He told me to stop taking my cefalexin and he prescribed 500mg Amoxicillin 3 x daily for 5 days (as I am allergic to metronidazole) about half hour after my dental visit I am feeling a strange itchy/burning sensation around all of my gums, is this usual?  Is it usual to have sore stinging sensation on the gum tissue around the socket?  Is there anything you could suggest to try to reduce this? Also, is it really possible that the gum tissue and gum soreness is an infection? Last but not least, how long untill it heals and I am able to eat properly?  I am going on holiday in 2 weeks and feeling very worried.
Thank you