Dental Health Community
Infection in jaw is still there after tooth pulled and anti-biotics.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Hello!  I started out with an abscess around my lower left bicuspid.  Dentist insisted that the tooth had to come out.  I told her that I've never had a tooth extraction while having abscessing going on, and she said it was fine.  Tooth was pulled and was sent home with an Rx of Clindamycin (150mg), 4xday.  Infection got worse.  Dentist, then used a lazer to open and drain the infected area.  Several shots (7-8) of novacaine was needed to numb the area.  After procedure, my mouth hurt and burned the worst that I've ever experienced before. The infection is still there.  It is about the size of ping pong ball and I have been on  clindamycin for 2 weeks without good results.  Doctor has me on Azithromycin  for 3 days now.  The swelling and pain is still with me and I'm going crazy!  What should I do?  Thank you for your help!
I am so sorry you're going through this. Yes, in my opinion, a dentist should get the infection under control first. I've had one abscess and a couple of infections and my dentist always insisted on putting me on antibiotics before he did anything.
Can you get in to see another dentist?
I don't know a great deal about antibiotics but, I'm wondering if the two you have been tried on are not strong enough.  
Thank you for your reply, remar!  I appreciate your concern.  I ended up at an Oral Surgeon's office yesterday, and he had to re-open the site of infection and scrape, clean, remove cadaver bone chips, pack with antibiotic and close it up with 4 stitches and a drain. I am also on Clindamycin again.  I go back tomorrow to have the drain removed.  I was in *horrible* pain yesterday, but today it is quite a bit better.  When the original dentist pulled my abscessed tooth, she included a procedure of putting bone chips in, right afterwards and there wasn't ANY REASON to do so, except to charge me more.  I am not wanting to prepare the area for a post or anything.  As it turns out, the bone chips were causing the excessive infection and puss. The Clindamycin wasn't strong enough to clear the infection.  She (original dentist) wouldn't admit that the unnecessary bone chips could be the problem but the Oral surgeon says that it definitely WAS the problem.  My simple tooth extraction has turned into a bill of over $1000.00 and 2 1/2 weeks of unnecessary pain,and I am furious.  She will be receiving a letter from me this week about all this. :(   I believe that I'm on the road to recovery now, but it didn't have to be this way at all.  Again, thank your for your concern.  ~  Kathy