Dental Health Community
Infection not going away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Infection not going away

Hello my 7 year old son ended up with an abcessed tooth from a very small cavity that needs a filling.His faced swelled up and he had a fever.The Dentist put him on amoxicillan for 10 days & it didnt clear it up swelling went down fever went away but it didnt 100% clear it up the Dentist said to take him to the pediatrician that he was having too big of an infection and wanted to know if he had immune system problems.No he doesnt but I took him & she started him on augmentin he had an allergic reaction and had to be switched to omnicef and has just finished 10 days of that.Now he complains his jaw hurts the gums are deep red and the area is no longer draining but there is still a lump & now I have to get another 10 days of omniceff.Is it common for this type of infection to be so stubborn?I am at my wits end. Why is this infection not going away?The dentist says they can do nothing until the infection is gone and the Ped just keeps giving more antibiotic in the mean time its been almost 1 month since this started and its getting old!What am I to do?
What did they recommend doing to fix the tooth?  Were they going to pull it or treat it?  Sometimes the only way to get rid of the problem 100% is to go ahead and either take the tooth out or treat it with a root canal/pulpectomy.  If the infection was bad enough that it was swollen and causing a fever then it's possible that it could take quite a bit of antibiotics.  However, something needs to be done about it pretty quick, since it's not draining now and there's still a lump...it could start to swell up more.  
At 1st the Dentist suggested a pulpectomy but then after the 1st 10 day round of amoxicillian  he questioned my sons immune system and said he needed to see a specialist in another city because he "is having too big of an infection for such a minor cavity" exact words. I told him I was concerned because he was out of antibiotic & I didnt want it to get outta hand & he said take him to his pediatrician.He said he could not fix anything with infection present & no dentist will  & if he is still having pain then he still has infection.I have heard horror stories about abcessed teeth I dont want my sons to become one.