Dental Health Community
Infection under a root canal...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Infection under a root canal...

I had a root canal in my upper molar about 2 years ago - I just went in to my dentist for a cleaning and because I had been having soreness in the area of the root canal. The X-ray revealed that I have a rather large infection (spread to the sinuses) under the root canal. She says I should have the RC redone, possibly even a bridge or implant - Unfortunately, I don't have insurance so this is not my favorite diagnosis. She put me on an antibiotic with the hope that the infection will clear up. Is that a realistic goal? Also, how does this happen, an infection under the RC? Was the first one improperly done? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same thing happen to me & I had to have the root canal re-done.
Dear kdp81:
      Root canal treatment is not always 100% successful. The periapical lesion is due to infection. You probably need to see an endodontist to redo rc or periapical surgery.Or, extraction of the infected tooth is alternative option.Good luck.
Hello there,
My neice had a root canael done and the dentist hit her sinus passages,,he never told her that he hit it,,,it caused a major infection,,She was on   antibiotics had part of her cheek bone removed, The infectioned travled to her brain she had to have brain surgery,,,not trying to scare you but this is very serious..she was in awfull pain,,she had to have a port put in her chest for antibiotics, she was on so much pain meds that she became addicted.
Annie