Dental Health Expert Forum
Infection under crown?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Infection under crown?

I had a crown put on a couple of years ago that never seemed to fit quite right. There is a space between the crown itself and the gum line and the metal that was used is visible. Within the past few months I have started to notice a nasty odor coming from this crown when I floss, as well as some minor bleeding. The gum beneath the crown has recently started to cause a dull aching pain. I've also began noticing pain in my neck, and fullness in my right ear (as if I have water in my ear). Seems like a stupid question now that I type it all out, but could the neck pain/ear problem be caused by the crown? Does this seem to indicate an infection?

Also, I doubt my insurance will cover replacement of the crown since it is so recent, is it possible to remove a crown, clean the area, and then re-seat it? Any info appreciated!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Unless the crown is temporarily cemented in all likelihood it would have to be cut off to remove it. The gum should not be bleeding and the foul odor sometimes indicates that the crown is either loose or decayed.I am not sure if the neck pain and ear discomfort is related to the crown, but either way a visit to your dentist is in order.
if the problem is coming from the crown (which you describe as malfitting) then why would you want it removed and out back on. If it is a poor crown, the dentist who did it should either redo it or pay for a new one. i'd get a fresh new opinion if I were you.
Hi all,
i m 22 yrs old girl. i use to got boils inside mouth at toungue, near teeth and almost in whole mouth. in start thy are red, then they change into White and when they change in white many small boils like that apears around one. they are very painfull. i cant eat any thing. i cant drink any thing, and worst thing is that i cant talk to people. and my job is of type that i have to talk to people around me. but i cant. plz help me. i m using Folic Acid tablets, Orange Juices etc. but its increasing day by day. plz help me.
you should see an oral surgeon or periodontist for a definitive diagnosis
Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate you taking the time to help people here.