Dental Health Community
Is Arestin necessary?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Is Arestin necessary?

Okay, so I'm scheduled for a Scaling/Root Planing on Monday, and I was told that I have some 5 & 6 mm pockets, but no bone loss.  So heres my question, they said that they recommend Arestin for the deeper pockets, but that since it's not covered by my insurance, it'll cost an extra $60 per site (on top of the $210 I'm paying just for the procedure).  Well I just don't have that kind of money, and the dentist said that I can refuse the Arestin if I want.  Well I want to make an educated decision about this, so I'm wondering, what is your opinion on Arestin?  Should I get it on all of the sites, or maybe just the 6 mm ones?  I appreciate any advice.
Complete root surface debridement is generally sufficient , additional chemical adjunct therapy may provide no further beneficial effect.Please visit the web site of american academy of periodontology.