Dental Health Community
Is bone grafting really necessary?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Is bone grafting really necessary?

My dentist told me that I would need to have bone grafting done after removing my wisdom teeth.  I have 3 wisdom teeth left and they are all impacted.  It would cost me $300 per tooth to have the grafting done.  I am 24 years old and was wondering if bone grafting is necessary after having wisdom teeth removed.  Several of my friends have had theirs removed and did not have this done.  thanks!
I would get another opinion. Bone usually fills in on its own, and bone grafts are usually done when thee is a need to build bone height eg for an implant or a denture.
I live in Richmond, VA and my Dentist recommended me to have Bone Grafting done for my last wisdom tooth extraction.I dont recall Bone Grafting for any of my previous wisdom teeth extraction procedures. So I googled about it and also talked to my previous dental assistant and concluded that Bone Grafting is not necessary especially for wisdom tooth extraction. It may be suggested or necessary for implants, molars and others but not wisdom tooth.
dentist said need to remove #12,13,14 do bone graft and then implants.  teeth are fine 70% of time, but sometime hurt.  is there any alternative to implants inorder to keep teeth.  
please start your own post instead of replying to a two year old one. that way the replies will be directed to your individual problem. also why does the dentist think these teeth need to be removed? teeth do not need to experience discomfort  to have serious problems. you obviously have some degree of bone loss which is a serious dental issue which will need to be corrected before any form of restoration can be attempted.
My son has tooth #29 impacted and he has an appt. to have it extracted. My question is a bone graft necessary at the the time of surgery?