Dental Health Expert Forum
Is bridge loose

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Is bridge loose

I have a six tooth bridge spanning the top front teeth, anchored by tooth #6, 9 and 11. When I was cleaning between #11 and 12 a couple days ago, I detected a very slight "shift" in the bridge, and I pushed slightly and it seemed to go back into place. Since then I've not had any bad taste in my mouth, sensitivity in the bridge area or anything else to suggest the bridge has come loose. I did get a new Braun (have been using one for years) and used it for the first time that day a couple hours before the "shift". Could that have caused the bridge to loosen or could this "shift" be normal and not indicate a loose bridge.

If the bridge is loose, is it normally removable and able to be re-cemented? It is held in currently with a strong cement and I have had it for 8 years.

Thank you for any help.

jefields
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The odor is from the cement that has washed out.The tooth can be decayed and I doubt that the bridge can be removed without some damage. If the bridge was cemented with a temporary cement it is possible that it can be removed. A visit is needed asap.
Your best bet is to go to your dentist and get an xray of the area.  Since it is such a long span bridge, the chances of removing it without causing fracture of one part is slim.  So, if it is loose you will have to have a new one made or decide to deal with it as is.  Sorry.
A related discussion, tempory glue on bridge was started.