Dental Health Community
Is it safe to have dental work done while you have a cold?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Ok this may sound like a stupid question but Ive looked online and asked people and no one seems to know for sure.  I have a scheduled root canal on Friday morning and Ive had a cold since Sunday.  I am feeling much better and I feel like its leaving my system but I worry it wont be gone by Friday.  So will having dental work done pose any threat?

The office isnt open on Thursdays so I would literally only be able to call them an hour before my appointment Friday to ask.  Honestly it is not easy to get time off to do all this work and I know from past experience I need about three appointments to finish it up and pushing to four days off because I had to cancel is not easy.  I would normally just go ahead and go to work and explain the situation but I double booked with a doctors appointment that afternoon to save me from having to take any extra days off.  So unless it really will be a threat I have to say I would like to avoid canceling the appointment but Im willing to if its an issue.

Does anyone know?
If you can breathe through your nose, you should have no problems.  Most root canals are done with a rubber dam that covers the mouth and isolates the tooth being worked on.  If your nose is stopped up, try to get some afrin or other nasal spray to open your passages.  Otherwise a cold should cause no problem.