Is it safe to use hydrogen peroxide in pregnancy?
I have periodontal disease and dentist wont perform the root planing and scaling until second trimester. There is a small area behind my upper front tooth that is very swollen and hurts a lot. I already had an abscess and a tooth pulled because of infection and I don't want to go through that again. He says I should wait but I don't want to loose my teeth either. I read that hydrogen peroxide helps with possible infection and sore gums. Is it safe to use as mouthwash during pregnancy? I don't want to use the chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash since its not in the safest category of medications and I don't want to hurt my baby but I don't know if waiting with this disease will also be bad for baby. I am 9 weeks.
Any help will be appreciated.Thank you
If you have a major concern, you may want to look at taking antibiotics possibly.  But you can always contact your OB/GYN and discuss with them about your gum problems.  Your OB/GYN may authorize your dentist and clear you for dental treatment.  There's no reason to avoid some minor scaling and root planing in the area if you're in pain and its an emergency.  If its not symptomatic, then I would agree and wait until the second trimester.

Unfortunately hydrogen peroxide wont treat infection.  It is always best to consult with your medical doctor before introducing any new chemicals into your system while pregnant.  As you said, protecting your baby is the most important thing.  Your medical doctor may be able to suggest ways that you can get some relief without jeopardizing your baby's health.
Best of Luck