Dental Health Community
Is something really wrong with my gums????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

This morning I took my retainer out of my mouth and in between my 2nd-3rd tooth (at the top and from the front teeth) started to bleed like crazy. I never seen so much blood and this is the first time this has happen. I might've been in the bathroom for like 10 minutes trying to stop it from bleeding. But I don't know if my retainer cause this to happen or some sudden gums issues. I don't feel any pain, numbness, tingling, etc. It feels normal there. But later today it happened again. This time I think it happened because I got over excited about whatever I was thinking and I can feel blood rushing to my head. Usually when this happens my eyes get red and I guess that's because I'm getting over emotional about something. But in this case, when I got over emotional that same spot on my gums started to bleed like crazy. Here I am in the bathroom again for at least 10 minutes trying to make it stop. Am I having all of sudden gums issues now? Or do you think my retainer did something?
love_a_challenge,

Are you taking any types of medications like blood thinners (i.e. aspiring)?

Do you brush and floss? What was your last dental hygiene appointment? What about last visit to the dentist?

Is it fixed retainer or removable? If it is removable do you take it out?

How long have you been wearing this retainer for?

Explanations...
Blood thinners will increase bleeding.

Brushing and flossing helps in removal of biofilm, accumulation of biofilm and maturation of it leads to calculus. Calculus leads to well...many things, one of which is - bleeding. With ortho type appliances it is hard to brush, so calculus may be present.

Removable retainers in some cases were not properly...well made, which may lead to it irritating and impinging on the tissue.

Are you taking any types of medications like blood thinners (i.e. aspiring)?---------- I sometimes take (2) aspirin for a slight headache. I did take some a day before the incident.

Do you brush and floss? What was your last dental hygiene appointment? What about last visit to the dentist?------Yes I brush and floss. I probably need to floss daily though. I manage to floss every other day. Last dentist hygiene appt. was a year ago due to no dental insurance right now.

Is it fixed retainer or removable? If it is removable do you take it out? ----- my retainer is removable and I wear it overnight.

How long have you been wearing this retainer for? ----I had this retainer for years now and I do clean it time from time.

note: I haven't had any bleeding today so far and they don't seem to bleed on its own throughout the day.
Retainer may be impinging on something, when you take it out and put it back in see if you feel it rubbing against tissue anywhere. One of the possible explanations is that you mention that you clean it. Do you clean it in hot water? If you do it may have distorted it.

Second possible explanation is that year without "cleaning". No dental insurance should not be such a huge problem. If you live in USA look up closest dental hygiene school to you. Very low costs and you will get best cleaning possible. :)

No bleeding by itself is a good sign. Do you bleed when you brush teeth/floss?
Do you clean it in hot water? If you do it may have distorted it. ------ I clean them once in a while but it has never been in hot water.

Second possible explanation is that year without "cleaning". No dental insurance should not be such a huge problem. If you live in USA look up closest dental hygiene school to you. Very low costs and you will get best cleaning possible. :)---------- this sounds like a great idea. I actually have a location already. I just been avoiding it because I'm not working right now and not trying to spend as much money.

Do you bleed when you brush teeth/floss? ---- sometimes it bleed very little from the flossing but goes away as soon as I rinse my mouth with Listerine. It's just yesterday I never seen my gums bleed so heavy and for so long. It wouldn't stop for like 10 minutes. PLUS this was only in one spot (not my entire gums). Now, I'm flossing like crazy LOL. Again, no bleeding today so I strongly believe my retainer irritated my gums when I took it out. Now, I put my retainer in very carefully.
Well, you seem to have a fairly good oral self care. Once you do decide to get your teeth cleaned, I would suggest mentioning the bleeding to the doctor/students/instructors. They may have a better understanding having direct access and able to actually clinically examine you. :)

As for the bleeding during flossing, you may be flossing a little too hard. Lots of people floss just by jamming the thread between teeth and going up and down. That is not the most efficient way of doing it.

To insert floss without damaging any of the tissue, move it in a see-saw motion, don't just jam it in. Once between the teeth, hug the thread around the tooth and than move it up and down. Removing it with see saw motion again. :)

thanks for the flossing tip!