Dental Health Expert Forum
It started as a toothache. Now I can open my mouth and my jaw is swolle...

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

It started as a toothache. Now I can open my mouth and my jaw is swollen! Should I be worried?!

Okay, it's Sunday morning. On Thursday night I developed a horrible toothache. I only slept for about 2 hours that night. I tried to go to the dentist but they were closed (for a Christmas party!) So I was able to speak to an on-call dentist. He was not able to see me but prescribed some Vicodin and Penicillin. My toothache was unbearable. I began taking the meds on Friday around 11am. I slept all day. That Friday in the middle of the night I woke up because of pain. My mouth was swollen almost shut. My tongue and neck on the side of the tooth as well. My cheek too. It is a bottom molar on my left. The last molar is causing the problems. Half of the tooth broke off earlier this year or last year. I believe from my wisdom tooth pushing on it. I have been taking the antibiotics but the swelling is not going away. My throat/neck on my left hurts to the touch. Kind of like when your tonsils are swollen. I cannot each solid food since I cannot open my mouth very much. I was hoping to have the tooth pulled but what if I can't open my mouth? And has this turned into a serious infection? Also, I have free dental from my indian tribe but they only do basic work such as cleanings, fillings, etc... Will I most likely be referred elsewhere? How much am I looking at as far as cost? I'm unemployed so I am worried!
You should definitely go to a dentist for dental care.  If the swelling has spread that far, it can be a very dangerous situation and requires immediate attention.  If you can't see a dentist, definitely go to an ER and get it evaluated.  Any time there is problems eating, swallowing or breathing in the neck area, it can spread further down into the neck and can be life threatening. You probably need to change antibiotics as well as it seems the penicillin isn't working.  They can remove the tooth if possible.  If not, they can drain the pus out of the area to help relieve some of that swelling and pressure.
CORRECTION! : I CANNOT OPEN MY MOUTH!
That is a big problem.  Either go to your dentist or the hospital.  The tooth, etc needs seeing too.
Yes, it does sound as though it is infected.
Prices will range between countries, etc.  I live in New Zealand and it cost $300 to have two wisdom teeth out (just with normal local anesthetic).
The dentist or doctor will advise about the swelling.