Dental Health Expert Forum
Itching since Root canal was done.

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Itching since Root canal was done.

I had a Root canal done on my right upper molar about a month ago. The next day after having it done when I woke up my face was very very itchy, Then after about a week my whole body started itching and  now I get some hives too. The only time I can get it to slow down or stop for a day or so is to take benadryl(usually 25mg). Also I have a big sore spot about a half an inch behind the molar that was done now the pain seems to be up inside the gum and near my ear now too. Also, my cheek seems numb on the outside of where the tooth is and I have trouble with my speech now.. As of last Friday I have lost like 85% of my taste and smell ability also. I went back a week later and he thought maybe it was the Clindamycine, So I discontinued that but the itching continued to get worse... then two weeks later I got in again and asked my Endontist if it could be a reaction to the gutta percha or maybe the epoxy used in the temporary cap and he swears up and down that there is no way that could be and that it has to be something else.(He did say he could try to remove the gutta percha and use a substitute but he thinks it will be a waste of time, Plus that sounds like a real nightmare from what I have read too) It just seems kind of funny that I never had any of these problems before this procedure. Out of desperation I have made an appointment with an oral surgeon later this week to have the tooth yanked right out.Has anyone ever heard of this before? Does anyone have any advice? I am starting to get really worried and am not sure what to do? SOS?!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would reconsider having the tooth extracted. I think you should consider consulting the oral surgeon or an oral pathologist. Gutta percha is a very nonallergic material It is also not very difficult to remove. But as the endodontist has stated I think it is a waste of time.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have a latex allergy. I know that gutta percha is latex based but my dentist says that shouldnt matter that it is used all the time on people with latex allergies..
My husband just a few days ago developed severe pain near one of his teeth.  He went to dentist who told him it was actually sinusitis (sinus infection).  He went to walk in clinic today & doc gave him antibiotic etc.  He noticed today that he had a large lump on the roof of his mouth.  He said he had a pretty bad headache & his sinuses hurt (you could push beside his nose & it'd be sore).  In any case, he ended up popping the large hard lump on the roof of his mouth & noticed immediate relief of the pressure & relief of his headache.  My question to you is, is it normal to have a connection between the roof of the mouth & the sinuses?  If not, do you think his connection could have been caused by surgery as a kid from an impacted tooth?  (he has a bridge not too far from the area where he had the bump.
About 14 years ago I had exactly this same thing happen to me.  After nine months of taking serious antihistamines and prednisone, I went to the Mayo Clinic where they looked carefully at the x-rays and saw that there was an absess (abscess) right above a tooth that had a root canal. It was strange because I had been to the dentist several times because doctors couldn't find what was causing the hives.  I didn't feel any pain because I had had the root canal.  Now whenever there is something going on in my mouth I get very itchy skin.  Hope you find some relief.