Dental Health Expert Forum
Itchy red raised bumps on hands, feet and tongue..

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

My daughter got a two bumps on the bottom of her foot that we attributed to ant bites while wearing sandals. She got a pimple near the corner of her mouth that resembled the bumps on her foot. A couple of days later, after I got out of the shower and took my second day of zithromax for a sore throat, I started to notice immediately 2 bumps on my hand, three bumps on my other hand, two on my foot and two in my mouth on my tongue. I don't know if this is a cross between a dermatological problem or an oral problem. I have never had a reaction like this while taking the z-pak, however, I am allergic to Keflex and Sulfa. My daughter is 16 months old, and cannot tell me much about the onset of her condition. While I was pregnant with her, I had several incidents of staph infectionous boils on my bottom. I had never had that before I was pregnant and haven't since I've given birth. I am wondering if this is something specific to our sharing the same genetics or what.. This is just freaking me out. I can't even seem to find out what these bumps are on my tongue. My mother used to call them 'lie bumps', when you tell a lie, you get one. They are painful. Since my daughter is getting 5 teeth in at once, she is very reluctant to let anyone mess around in her mouth, however, she just went to the dentist last week who found everything to be just fine. The bumps occured after her visit. I am very concerned, any clues? I've ruled out bed bugs too, by the way, and I know that I haven't been bitten by any ants or bugs.  Thanks for your help..
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I think this situation belongs in the medical field. A visit to your MD is in order. If the situation persists with your daughter then a visit to the pediatrician is necessary.
I should add that I just saw my daughter a little bit ago and it seems that she has many more of these bumps, however, they look more like warts than the red ones that we started off with.  I was still unable to look into her mouth to see if she has what I have.  The only medication she has been taking is Claritin.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfhf.htm

It's called Hand Foot and Mouth Disease.. there's the link.. it's common amongst children.. can be passed to parents.. thanks anyway...