Dental Health Community
Jaw Pain after Dental Crowns

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Jaw Pain after Dental Crowns

I've recently had two dental crowns done on two lower molars. Very soon after the dental work was done, I started having alot of pain around the teeth which almost brought me to tears. As we were on holidays right after the work was done, I wasn't able to go back to my dentist right away. Instead I had a family member (who is a dentist) take a look. His thoughts were that there could be an infection. So he prescribed antibiotics and painkillers. This helped with the pain temporarily, however it never really went away. That was two months ago. Now I'm left with extreme jaw pain that radiates up, and sits right around my ear, creating an excutiating headache. I've been taking Advil everyday as if they're candy, and it still hasn't gotten any better. My dentist is stumped, as the teeth look okay, and there is not much to see on the x-rays. I'm at a loss, and very tired of the constant pain. What could be causing this pain, and is there anything that can be done to fix it?
Requesting your dentist to remove delivered crowns and see how it goes is advised.
Seeing an endodontist to rule out pulp pathology is advised. If there is no evidence of pulp pathology, seeing an occusionist or prosthodontist is advised.
Thank you for the advice, it's still causing alot of pain. The headaches and jaw pain are becoming more intense. Advil works for awhile, then it always comes back. I worry about the cost of seeing a specialist such as an endodontist. Is there anything else that can be done?
Thank you for the advice, will do.
I just had a small filling done about an hour ago in the lower back molar. I am now having severe Jaw pain radiating up into the ear and around the lower jaw down into the gland area. The assistant who did the shots did something really wrong I think. I have never felt pain like that. I thought she had electrocuted me! There was a horrible nerve pain all the way up my jaw to my lip and into my ear. Then it really hurt as she was putting the rest into the jaw. And where it hurts now is exactly where the shot went.  

I'm really thinking from reading the other posts that this is what has happened to other people. These people can damage nerves or nerve casings with their needle and they then want to pull your teeth out or give you antibiotics.  

I really hope this is not the case and that this gets better soon - it really hurts to open my mouth and bite down - but NOT the TEETH!