Dental Health Expert Forum
Jaw Pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Jaw Pain

I have had pain in the left joint of my jaw for years now.  As far as I can remember I have not been knocked in that area.  The area of pain can stretch from the lower jaw area right up to my ear and can even give me neck pain.  It causes pain when I open my mouth wide and always feels like the bones are 'clicking' and 'clunking' out of place.  I have had phisio on the joint but that is only a stretch of the muscle and the pan is always present.  None of the doctors I have seen can give me a strtaight answer.  They thought it may have been caused by my wisdom teeth so they were removed and the pain is still there if not worse post surgery.  Upon having a ct scan there is shown to be differences in the size of the joint when compared to the right side joint where I get no pain.  What could be causing this pain and can it be corrected or can the pain only be reduced with physio? If you could help that would be great.

Avatar_dr_m_tn
The TMJ like any other joint in your body is complicated with tendons,ligaments muscle attachments. TMJ dysfunction can have many facets and causes. They can be muscular in nature or structural. It has also been shown that there is a psychological  component. From your symptoms it would seem yours is structural. My experience has taught me to refer these patients to a dentist who specializes in TMJ disoders. I prefer a conserative approach. If this is not possible then they have been doing successful arthroscopic surgery. I think the most important thing is to get a professional that specializes in this area.
Hiya, have you been checked for TMJ? That could cause the pain in the jawbone along with the pain in the ear. I have had it radiate through my jawbone down into my ear and neck and ohhh it hurts...good luck.
I have the exact same symptoms and I have TMJ.  Many people just develop it because of facial structure.  Injuries can make it worse, but you don't have to be injured to have it.  I've had very good luck with a bite guard my oral surgeon made for me.  I don't wear it all the time, only when I have significant pain or clicking.  It isn't a cure, but it really helps.