Dental Health Expert Forum
Jaw Swollen under crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Jaw Swollen under crown

I have a crown that has never fit properly, it is too fat. The tooth was mostly filling that the dentist removed and replaced with a pin and crown. I returned to the dentist that put it on at least 8 times he said it fits and I will get used to it. That was 4 years ago. Ever since then it has become tender in that area if I clench at night which I sometimes do. Yesterday and today I have noticed a lump under that tooth along my jawline that is sore. You can't see anything inside my mouth but you can feel it on the outside along my jawline. There isn't any pain like a toothache only on the outside if I move my jaw or touch it. Could it be an infection without pain in the tooth?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It certainly can be a dead nerve. You need to get an x-ray and have it treated.
go to a different dentist. there is probably an endodontic or periodontal infection. could be from the crown, could be from the tooth. dentist's do not like to admmit that their crowns caused problems and were not done well. that is why you should see someone else for an unbiased opinion.
Thanks I have an appt. tomorrow morning. It is not with the same dentist that did the crown. I've moved since then and he is too far away. How can a nerve die under a crown? When he put the crown on my tooth hurt the whole time, he said he couldn't numb it any further and I would just have to put up with it.
ChrisA
you should not have to "put up" with pain from a tooth. Something is wrong. teeth that have crowns still have nerves in them unless root canal therapy was done. the nerve can become inflamed, necrotic (dead) or infected for a variety of reasons--- even more than with virgin (never worked on) teeth becasue they are traumatized from all the work that was done on them to get the crown on in the first place---- drilling, cement, air being blown on it etc. the problem may also be in the gum tissue or bone around the tooth..... hopfully your new dentist is referred to you by someone you trust, and is good. good luck
A related discussion, Jaw swolen under tooth and feels bruised was started.