Dental Health Expert Forum
Jaw effects of fosomax

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Jaw effects of fosomax
If you start experiencing jaw bone loss what can you do?
Are you asking me if fosamax causes jaw bone loss or are you asking me if it'll be an option to prevent it?  

I don't deal specifically with osteoporosis but as far as I know, there is no jaw bone loss associated with fosamax usage.  There is some concern about possible delayed healing or risk of infection after removing teeth with patients using fosamax though.  

There are reports that link people taking IV fosamx to osteonecrosis of the bone having oral and maxilofacial surgery. Treatment really depends upon degree of severity. Most of the time patients are advised hyperbaric chambers.