Dental Health Expert Forum
Jaw has started popping

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Jaw has started popping
Hello there. Thanks in advance for reading the question. A few weeks ago, I took a big bite of food and the right side of my jaw popped. For the last few weeks my jaw in that spot has been popping sometimes. If I put the pad of my finger in my ear, I can feal something popping out of place that doesn't pop on the other side. It causes some discomfort but not really any pain. My jaw still seems to open and close completely and my bite is still properly aligned. I have never had any jaw problems in the past (I'm 26). Is this something that will likely correct itself, or did I do permanent damage to my jaw just from taking a bite of food? Thanks again for taking the time to read the question.

Patrick
I can't really say.  If it bothers you, I would recommend seeing a TMJ specialist to get it evaluated and see if there any necessary treatment.  I would assume that it would consist of exercises and possibly some anti-inflammatory medication.