Dental Health Expert Forum
Jaw pain, associated with wisdom teeth?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Jaw pain, associated with wisdom teeth?
About, oh I don't know, in January, my orthodonist informed me that I'll need to get my wisdom teeth removed by the summer. In around April, I could see my lower left wisdom tooth starting to show from the gum. It hurt a lot. After a week or two, that stopped hurting. Now recently, mt lower right wisdom tooth is doing the same thing. My jaw has been feeling a little stiff and hurts when I open wide. Now, my mom is supposed to be scheduling an appointment for me to get my wisdom teeth pulled after finals, which is in like 20 days. I am starting to fear I have waited too long. Im an anxious kid and always have been, and I get nervous about things like this. I'm afraid I am waiting too long and it's getting me nervous. How long is tooooo long? I had to post this somewhere becasue I  needed to get it off my chest. Thanks
I think you should relax, do well on your finals and then make an appointment and get those teeth out. you have not waited too long and it can wait until after your tests unless you are in dire pain which doesn't seem to be the problem at this time.Good luck on the tests.
listen to your body. if your wisdom teeth are bothering you, get the ball rolling yourself and get them removed.  Obviously, you know that 20 days is too long because you FEEL that it is. So, get on the phone yourself and schedule something sooner. You do not even know if you really have an appointment-- you said your mother is "supposedly" scheduling something in 20 days. It's your body, and you're a big boy, so do this yourself. You should be aware that you will need to be seen for a consultation first, and the actual procedure may not be scheduled for weeks or so after that. Take responsibility for yourself, and go do what needs to be done.  Call the oral surgeon and explain that you are in pain. That is the only way to get this "off your chest."  If you had the teeth out next week, you'll be sore for a few days and then you can study for finals. Because they are bothering you: you won't be able to study well anyway, AND they may get worse, AND if you have them out before finals you should have enough time to prepare. Why wait???  Because you're apprehensive?? Not a good reason.
Im 14 I dont think I have the ability to make my own appointment without my mothers consent.
then make sure she does it. tell her you want to go tomorrow.