Dental Health Expert Forum
Jaw pain after being numbed for a crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Jaw pain after being numbed for a crown

I had dental work done last week 8 days ago for a crown, where the needle was put in to numb me is still so sore I can barely open my mouth.  I cannot bite into anything as it causes sever pain.  I understand after numbing being sore for a day or two but I have never had anything last this long what is wrong?  I called the dentist and they said it just sometimes happens and to use warm compresses and stretch it, well stretching is not an option it kills me.  Any clue what is wrong and what I can do?

I cut and pasted this from a previous answer I gave.  

It may be due to the trauma from the injection in the muscles of the area.  Its a possible complication from a dental injection but rarely occurs.  The term is called trismus.

Try using a warm saline rinse to help with the pain as well as taking some anti-inflammatories such as aspirin or ibuprofen.  Also apply a warm moist towel on the area for 20 minutes every hour if necessary.  Also remember to try to stretch the jaw joint out each day (such as chewing gum) for 5 minutes every 3 to 4 hours.

If you don't get any improvement in 48 hours, contact your dentist to get a prescription for antibiotics as it may be a possible infection.  Keep up the maintenance until you are problem free.  It may take anywhere from 4 to 20 weeks but of course, should gradually improve over time.

Hope that helps.

How much improvement have you had in the last 8 days?  Your dentist may consider antibiotics if the swelling and jaw movement hasn't improved.