Dental Health Community
Jaw pain after having tooth pulled

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Jaw pain after having tooth pulled

A little over a month ago, I had a back left molar pulled. The tooth had been quite bad for a while, but I had left it alone. I didn't want to lose another molar.

However, it broke in half, and so I knew I didn't have a choice but to get it pulled.

When I went in to have the procedure done, I ended up having to have 3 shots of medication. This isn't normally the case for me, as 2 usually work just fine. But the dentist told me that I had a long buckle.

Well, after I got home and the medication wore off, I realized that my jaw really hurt. I hadn't ever experienced a pain like this before, after having dental work done. I figured it would go away on it's own.

But after a few weeks, and after the antibiotics I was given after the extraction, the pain was still there. It is still here, and it doesn't seem as though it is getting any better.

When I open my mouth, or move my face just right, my jaw hurts. It feels like it hurts up at the hinge of the jaw. Also, if I open my mouth too wide, or for too long, my jaw seems to get a bit stuck. This can make my ear ring, and even give me a slight temporary headache. I've also noticed some sort of cracking sound, and even a pop when I get my mouth to close after it gets stuck.

This is quite painful and uncomfortable. I'm not sure what to do about it. I have another appointment schedule with the dentist, but it isn't until April. This is the soonest they could get me in.

Do you have any ideas what could have happened, or what could be going on?
Is there possibly anything I can do to make this go away?

I appologize for the length of this message. I just wanted to include everything possible, as to not leave anything important out.

Thank you, and I look forward to a response.
The amount of medication given does not concern me at all, especially with an extraction I will give excess medication to a) make complete sure my pt.s dont feel a thing, and b) have it last a little longer until they can get pain medication.

What you describe sounds like a joint problem, one of the risks for removing a lower tooth is joint strain.  This is usually temporary, but if you already had a minor TMJ problem it could make things worse.

Try using a warm compress to help sooth the joint.  Anti-inflammatory medications will also help decrease the pressure on the joint.  

I would suggest seeing a TMJ specialist to evaluate your jaw and see if there is anything else that can be done to reduce current symptoms and protect against future ones.