Dental Health Expert Forum
Jaw pain and swelling

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Jaw pain and swelling

I have swelling on the left side of my jaw and face.  My jaw hurts underneath almost like a swollen gland.  I also have canker sores inside my left side of mouth which I think is from biting the inside of my mouth while I sleep.  What can I do for the pain.  Is this TMJ or just stress?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I do not think it is related to the TMJ and I would have it checked out by your dentist or an oral surgeon.
I have swelling on the left side of my jaw and face. My jaw hurts underneath almost like a swollen gland. I also have canker sores inside my left side of mouth which I think is from biting the inside of my mouth while I sleep. What can I do for the pain. Is this TMJ or just stress?

You might want to see your dentist since any swelling of the jaws and face is not normal.  It might be due to a dental abscess.  If you don't have any contraindications to taking Ibuprofen (eg. Motrin, Advil), I would recommend getting from from the drugstore and trying that to help with the pain until you can get in to see your dentist.

TMJ disorders don't normally cause swelling that I have seen.  Swollen glands and swelling generally indicate an infection, possibly from a dental abscess, impacted wisdom tooth, acute periodontal infection, etc..  It's best to have it checked out ASAP.

Zzzdentist
www.dentalminds.com