Dental Health Expert Forum
Joint pain and dental bone implant

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Joint pain and dental bone implant

Had a sudden onset of severe joint pain and stiffness in my hips, lt. knee and hand, starting about a year ago.  The symptoms last sometimes for a day or two, up to several wks., with one or more joints affected at any time. Pain and stiffness is worse with prolonged sitting, immobility, etc, and only mildly relieved with NSAIDs, moist heat, etc. Health hx. of: 54 y.o. physically active female with hx. of rheumatic heart disease, mitral valve prolapse, cardiac arrhythmias, osteoporosis, and latex allergy.  Have just completed Rheumatology work-up to r/o SLE and RA, with extensive labs. Per the MD, the only significant findings were: ANA positive, elevated Rheumatoid factor, and mildly elevated CRP.  All other labs. were negative. Physical exam showed "hypermobility syndrome" also. Bone scan of the body only showed a "questionable" area in the lt. cheek area.  A recent cardiac re-evaluation showed stable valve and cardiac function, excepting for some arrhythmia problems which are being addressed with medication changes.  The Rheumatologist wants to see me in 1 yr. to re-evaluate. The only other thing I could think of was that I had a lt. upper molar fx. with an extraction and bone graft in Nov. 2005.  Since that time, I continue to have some intermittent pain in that area, especially with the molar directly in front of the one extracted (That tooth had a root canal and crown placed about 15 yrs. ago.)  I realize that I am probably grasping at straws, but could there be a correlation between the bone graft and the sudden onset of joint pain?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I think you are grasping and I do not feel there is any correlation between you pain and the graft.
i doubt that very very much.
Thank you for your responses. I agree that my thoughts were "out in left field", but thought I would ask, as I am getting frustrated with this prolonged joint pain and stiffness.  It's different from the occasional overuse type of discomfort, and I'm not used to being slowed down.  Thank you again.
I don't think you are grasping for straws.  I was sitting here tonight looking for answers for the same symptoms.  Stiffness and pain especially when I sit down at night and in the morning.  I can't even bend my wrist on my L side.  I also had a crown put on my tooth two weeks ago, and knee surgery, I was wondering if one of the two would have caused this to happen.  I went to the doctor yesterday for a blood work-up and haven't recieved the results.  Did you happen to have any type of virus leading up to this episode?
In response to your question:  No, as far as I know, I had no symptoms of any kind of illness or infection prior to the sudden onset of joint pain and stiffness.  The severe discomfort lasted for several months, and then seemed to calm down with only a few days intermittently from late Jan. through April.  Another flare up for a couple of weeks in April and back to random days again.  My repeat labs. from the Rheumatologist again showed the same three tests as abnormal.  For now we are going with Naproxin every 12 hrs. as well as Extra-strength Tylenol three times a day for when it flares up, with a return to the specialist in 12 mos. for re-evaluation.  If there is a significant change, he wants to see me sooner, but as for now, he cannot pin-point the cause.  My plan is to stay as active and as fit as possible to maximize my mobility and health.
If your symptoms are a definite and sudden change from your normal health status, get it checked out by all means and good luck to you.  I'm just somewhat peeved at myself for putting it off for so long, especially after I realized it would take me 3 mos. just to get into the specialist!
Again, good luck.
I too have been in the last few months been suffering joint & muscle pain.  I'm blown away by what I've just read.  
Today I was at the Dentist having teeth taken out.  I have a lot of bone loss / infection and wondered if it could be connected.
At the moment I am also waiting on blood tests at my Doctors office for arthritis.
Thank you for posting.  Nice not to feel out there alone.