Dental Health Expert Forum
Large lump on lower outside jaw

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Large lump on lower outside jaw

The lump is under tooth 30. It is about half and inch long and sticks out enough for me to catch my finger on it. I went to a dentist a year ago and he said it looked like I needed a root canal by the X-ray, but I have feeling in my tooth so he didn't want to do it. I just recently went to have it checked out again. I got the same response from an oral surgeon to referred me to a root canal specialist(endodontist). He did the same root canal test and took an X-ray from a different view. He quickly decided i did not need a root canal. He showed me the X-rays and the dark shadow is not just at the base of the roots of my teeth, but also runs up into the middle of the two roots. The lump concerned him and said I would probably have to have it biopsied to be safe. I have been extremely tired no matter how much I sleep. Daily routine activities wear me out much faster than they should. Does this sound like a bad infection? Or could it be cancer?
I would go check with an oral surgeon again or you can also go to your primary care physician and have them check it out.  

I'm not sure what it is.  Unfortunately I don't treat these types of conditions but generally will refer it out to an oral surgeon or their primary care physician.  Its possible its a tumor.

Not sure whats your problem but my guess is, its not cancer.