Dental Health Community
Lesions under tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Lesions under tongue

Hi-

I noticed I have strange legions underneath my tongue. The odd thing is they seem to change from day to day, and I dont know what they are. I went to an oral surgeon, and he said he didn't know what it was, and he wanted to take a biopsy. I wanted to get some other opinions before I get stiches in my tongue and not be able to eat solid foods for a week. I noticed another post where the poster had the same exact symptoms, but there was no suggestions as to what it could be. The previous post was over a year ago at http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Skin-Cancer/Three-White-Lesions-on-Side-of-my-Tongue-Picture/show/1027162#post_4774554 . Can anyone help?
  • Gum problems (1 replies):
    Hello, I have had an issue with my gums dating back seve...[more]
How can you better describe them?  Are they a pale/white or are they dark?  Are they only under your tongue, or are they throughout your mouth?  Have you noticed any other changes in skin coloration (pigment) anywhere else on your body??  I would DEFINITELY get a second opinion and even a third before jumping to any conclusions that this is cancer; there are many disorders & conditions that can cause lesions in the mouth, especially lupus.  If you are a male it is less likely that you have lupus but it is still possible.  It may also be vitiligo which causes loss of skin coloration & pigmentation. Also, medications can cause such symptoms.  Have you done anything differently lately like switched to a different toothpaste or mouthwash?  It could simply be an allergic reaction, or food that you eat regularly. I'd suggest doing some research and seeing not only a dentist or oral surgeon but also a **general practicioner** for OTHER conditions unrelated to dentistry alone.  Also consider seeing an **ENT - ear/nose/throat doctor**.  Good luck!
Is there a way to post pictures on here? They are pretty similar to that picture in the post I mention above. Irregular white border. The odd thing is they change on a daily basis. I am a male, and I haven't really changed anything in terms of diet or anything. I haven't seen anything else on my body, but about two months ago I had hernia surgery. My dentist is the one who first noticed the spots two weeks ago, so I have no idea how long I have had them. I don't know if I would've ever noticed them since they are under my tongue and dont really hurt or anything. My dentist told me to go to the oral surgeon who only looked at me for about 10 minutes and then wanted to take a biopsy. I thought it would just be a scraping or something but he said I would need stitches and couldn't eat solid foods for a while, so I am really hesitant to have it done if I don't need to.