Dental Health Expert Forum
Light white bumps on upper gums

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Light white bumps on upper gums

I am a 19 year old male and I get routine cleanings, x-rays, oral cancer screenings, etc. every 6 months. I also have decent oral hygiene practices. My last cleaning was in July. In September I had a sexual experience that has caused me immense anxiety. I mention this since it might be pertinent to a diagnosis.

In mid- to late-October I had a sore in my mouth and the nurse practictioner at college diagnosed an aphthous ulcer and it went away soon thereafter. Strangely it was painless. Around the same time this ulcer appeared, I noticed a small bump between my upper right lateral incisor and canine (teeth 6 and 7 I suppose). I mentioned it to the NP who didn't really address it. It is so tiny that I'm not sure if it even has any fluid in it. But it's in the triangle portion of the gums, not close to the unattached gingiva like a gum boil would be.

The bump is light white, and it doesn't hurt. It doesn't seem raised. It has not grown in size since I first saw it in October. Recently I noted two or three more of them scattered across my upper gums. I'm not sure if they recently appeared or if I am just noticing them for the first time.

I can't think it would be a tooth abcess (abscess) since I regularly have dental visits. I don't think it's herpes because the bumps haven't changed size or crusted over, nor are they clustered. What could they be? Could the aphthous ulcer have been misdiagosed? It was inside mouth near bottom right bicuspids.

I'll see the dentist in a few days, but I need some peace of mind and maybe other people have the same thing. Thanks very much for your help
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Obviously not seeing the lesion I can not give you a diagnosis, but from your explanation it does not seem to be serious. You are doing the correct thing by seeing your dentist and if you can't get a definitive diagnosis then see an oral surgeon for a consult.
Well, I forgot to mention that, for the first time in over two months, the gums around the initial bump are starting to become sore, but only when I press on them. Teeth don't hurt.

Additionally, I developed a white lesion on the side of my tongue and the NP at school and my primary physician have called geographic tongue. But my tongue doesn't "change" like it should, from what I've read. Could it really be a coincidence that my aphthous ulcer, my geographic tongue, and my gum bumps all decided to show up at the same time? Could they be connected to my anxiety?

Sorry for the additional questions and comments, and I would be very appreciative if you could shed any light on my condition!
Thanks for your help...are there no possible diseases that come to mind that my dentist will consider? I've looked all over the internet and can't find a picture that resembles my problem.
I saw the dentist today. Just thought I'd post the findings in case someone sees a similar condition on their gums.

The hygienist said it is probably nothing and that small inconsistencies can occasionally occur in the gums. The dentist confirmed that there was nothing to worry about. Neither gave me a dental name or cause for this, though.

Also I noticed if you find pictures of "healthy gums" online, if you look closely you might be able to find tiny bumps like the ones I was worried about. Seems to be entirely normal.
A related discussion, bumps on both upper and lower gums was started.