Dental Health Expert Forum
Limited and painful lower jaw movement after wisdom tooth extraction.
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I had a wisdom tooth extracted 2 weeks ago in my lower jaw. A week after i could open my mouth only partially and not able to feed myself because of pain on the right lower jaw where it is atached to the upper jaw. I went back to the dentist and he prescribed Metrenidazole 400mg. It is a week now after commnecing antibiotic but there is no change . i cannot open my mouth and it is very painful when i try to force open it, and therefore can feed myself mostly on fluids. Please advise. Thank you.
Related Discussions
What you are probably experiencing is what we call trismus--this can occur from the trauma associated with the extraction or from the injection.The muscles that open and close your jaw go into spasm and with the pain they are not stretched or used. It gets worse and worse. I think you need to get some tongue blades and place them between your teeth adding as many as you can to break the adhesions in the muscles.It is painful but you need to do it gradually.Each day the opening should get wider and wider. The worst case scenario is that put you to sleep and break the adhesions that way.
2 Comments
Blank
you should see an oral surgeon to evaluate the problem.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now