Dental Health Expert Forum
Lip Numbness

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Lip Numbness

A couple of weeks ago, I had numbness in my lower right side lip & gum; it lasted fo about a week & was brought on primarily when eating.  I was just as though I had received a shot of novacain. Although I had a crack in a crown, my dentist found nothing that would cause it.  She told me to go to my doctor, but she also wanted a consult with an endodontist.  The dr did a head MRA and found nothing that would cause the numbness.  I was recently diagnosed with OSA.  I am wearing a full mask for the CPAP (including mouth).  My primary said he thought it was probably the mask.  I went to the endodontist today, it is not a tooth probelm.  He also said he did not believe the mask would do it.  He said I should aggressively pursue this. I have a history of sinus problems & currently have a fluid & slight ear infection.  Any ideas?  Not sure what direction to go...maybe do nothing since it has stopped?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
At this point if the numbness has dissipated and nothing was found medically I would do nothing. Obviously if it happens again you would try to be aggressive in your attempts to find the source.
I an having the same symptoms. I have numbness in my lower right side lip & gum as well as my lower left side; it has lasted so far for a few days & is brought on primarily when eating, though I somewhat feel it all the time. I have no crack in a crown, nor am I wearing any sort of mask. I am currently contacting my primary who currently is not sure what to make of it. I have not been to the endodontist yet. I have a history of and am currently experiencing sinus problems & currently have a sore throat and a sore in my mouth. I too would like any ideas. Not sure what direction to go...I do not want to do nothing cause mine have not stopped yet?  Anyone have any advice at all?
To follow up on my 9/26 entry, I went to the doctor and the doctor diagnosed me with Bells Palsy.  my condition had digressed to where my eye was starting be affected.  In desctribing this to him, he told me that a virus had settled into my nerve and I was being affected by the palsy.  To the originator of the topic, if you have not checked out that option, that may be something to look into.  It lasts 2-8 weeks (shorter with medication), so during that time I will submit a last follow-up to my condition, especially if all goes well.  Hope this helps.
A related discussion, lower lip numbness was started.
A related discussion, lip numbness was started.