Dental Health Community
Loose flap of gums.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Loose flap of gums.

Hi! I hope somebody can help me. A few months ago, I was eating a whole apple, as I was about to to bite down, the apple slipped and scraped down the front of my bottom teeth. It ended up actually cutting my gums and scraping it off about two or three of my bottom teeth. I can use my tongue to nudge that gum out of place.

On a tooth located to the side of the teeth where the gums are basically a little flap, I have noticed some gum recession that continues to worsen and I know that is from VERY rough brushing from when I was young and maybe that apple accident just made it even worse?

When I brush my teeth, I am especially careful and very gentle so as not to further rip my gums. I have noticed a buildup of plaque after a short amount of time on the affected teeth. It is not normally painful, it only is when I am rough in my brushing.

I have just very recently gotten my dental insurance and plan to make an appointment first thing Monday (June 15) morning. I was wondering, what procedures could they do to repair the loose gums as well as the gum recession and the approximate healing times for those procedures? Should I be worried about any long-lasting effects, should I be worried about losing my teeth or multiple, time consuming procedures?

I have gotten my wisdom teeth removed through surgery, because two of them were coming in lying on their sides. All it took was a few hours to complete the surgery followed by several weeks of healing. I have gotten a root canal, as well a chipped tooth repaired. But those are my extents of dental experience, and I am a VERY nervous dental patient.

I hope somebody can answer my questions quickly. I have been very worried about this. I had to wait a while before I could get word on my dental insurance.

Thank you!
I had bone grafting done with required about 8 stitches each time. Actually I had NO pain during the procedure and almost no main afterwards. The stitches did NOT hurt coming out.
The gums heal very nicely. My gums looks nice and pink.

good luck to you.