Dental Health Community
Losing tooth due to dental error in Root Canal procedure, advice needed...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Losing tooth due to dental error in Root Canal procedure, advice needed

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/Btraindash/mybadrootcanal.jpg[/IMG]

X-Ray image above. The molar on my lower right (2nd tooth from the end) had a root canal and crown done at a very reputable dental clinic in NW Nassau several years ago, where I continue to go to recieve dental care. Before the root canal the tooth was giving me pain due to a cavity that went too deep, after the RCT I had no problems with the tooth, until late this summer, even I had swelling (but no pain) in the gum around the tooth. An X-Ray was taken and the dentist said there was an abscess there, it was drained, and I was put on Penicillin for 2 weeks. The swelling went away. I go for a return visit today, and the dentist said the tooth still needed to come out. They didn't take another X-Ray, but according to the endo on duty, he stressed it needed to come out soon. She also explained to me the reason why the abscess is there, she said the DENTIST WENT TOO DEEP WITH THE POSTS. She also said that he should've been able to see on the X-Ray he was going to deep. The dentist I have for this year (its a clinic so they rotate dentists) said that it is still infected, and that bone is being lost. She then contradicted herself and said that the infection will return, eventually. They are stressing me getting it pulled ASAP because the longer I wait the harder it will be to put an implant in. But implants aren't covered by my insurance, and I still haven't finished paying off the Root Canal/Crown. Ins. only covers cavities, cleanings, extractions, and checkups. Which brings me to my other point. While my dentist is very nice, the folks in the office got mad when I told them I wasn't going to give them any more money for the RCT that was done wrong. Then they have the NERVE to still want money. After awhile it sunk in the REAL reason they want the tooth removed, so they can do implants and make even more money from me! So what should I do? I am having no more pain or swelling, and would rather just leave it as its not bothering me. Should I go to another dentist and get a 2nd opinion? Should I see a lawyer? I dont want to sue, I just want them to get off my back about the $700 balance they still want from me!
BTW the clinic is the North Shore University Dental clinic on Community Drive in Manhasset. I always thought I was in great hands there until this, now I have to wonder.
yes i would go to another dentist, or i would make them extract that tooth that THEY messed up. most dentist will push you for abridge or implant after getting a tooth out for the big $ but also to keep your teeth from shifting. a laywer might be needed if they dont want to extract that tooth or they are still trying to bill you for something that they messed up. implants are extremly expensive about 6000.00 and they have to start right away, when they pull that tooth they have to put in the implant post that same day due to the bone healing and they wouldnt be able to go back in once you healed and place a post.... i know dentist can be a serious pain in the rear sometimes,....good luck
most dental offices make you sign something stating they will not be held responsible for anything that goes wrong.  you assume all the risk. even if you did not sign this paper you must find a dentist that will actually testify this was dentist error. many will tell you in the office thats the problem but will not in court or in legal documents.
Make sure that sargenti paste was not used in your root canal.  It contains formaldehyde and can cause problems months to years after the root canal.  If it was used, I personally would have the tooth pulled.
I think they used gutta percha
I had a crown put in, 8 yrs ago while in china, and decided to have them cast from 662 titanium. now have to cut it off (cavity under it) and they burnt up 7 cutting blades in 2 hours of trying to get through it. 1/2 finished, they sending me back to mt dentist, to remove it completely, and "try" to remove it, without destroying the tooth under it. it is my left most rear bottom molar. i have a mouthful of ceramic (over 50 K) and dont want a hole where a tooth used to be, behind all that nice work.  scared of starting the nunbing, and days of pain after the proceduural attempts to remove this most stubborn crown.please let me know directly ***@**** as i stumbled to this site researching ways to cut titanium alloys. please help!! ouch!
please make your own post. people will be able to help you better.