Dental Health Expert Forum
Lump on jaw hinge next to left ear

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Lump on jaw hinge next to left ear

About four weeks ago I found a painful lump right were my jaw hinge is in front of my ear. After about two weeks it wasn't painful and shrunk in size. Then it started to hurt again and now it has remained the same size since it shrunk and is not painful. When i open my mouth wide i can't feel it there anymore. Don't know what it is?!
Tags: jaw
You should get it checked out.  Sometimes it can be an infection which can cause some swelling or it could be a muscle injury in which the muscle tightens up and cramps.  But you won't know for sure until you get it checked out.