Dental Health Community
Maxillary dental amalgam foreign body linked to unresolved florid facia...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Maxillary dental amalgam foreign body linked to unresolved florid facial inflamed lesion

I have an appt to remove a piece of tooth heading south in my mandible, surrounded by large cyst.  In addition, I have a piece of mercury amalgam lodged in the maxillary bone following incomplete removal.  During this terrifying ordeal, a huge amount of maxillary bone was simply drilled away, unbeknown to me.  Several dentists have said the foreign body is not a problem, but I do have an unresolved facial lesion directly above the area, spreading almost 2cm in dia. on my cheek.  This has been biopsied and results are "inconclusive".  I have spent 4 years begging doctors and dentists to PLEASE associate the facial red spot with the dental pathology.  They cannot lose face, so NO ONE IS WILLING TO ADMIT IT.  I have had to book myself an expensive Cavitat treatment to get yet another opinion.   Please can you tell me if an MRI will BE MORE DEFINITIVE THAN A CAVITAT?  I just cannot lose any more money.    Incidentally, the facial redness appeared the morning after the UL6 erupted and my face swelled up for 48hrs.  This was 4 yrs ago and I am STILL trying to get resolution on the facial redness.  The patch erupts in small red pinpricks in different positions on the patch, every couple of weeks, with regularity.  These do not produce any exudate, and the patch has not repsonded to anti-fungal, Metronidazole etc., anti-biotics.  WHY ISN'T ANYONE SMELLING THE COFFEE?  I suspect fear and trepidation!
Desperate I am not any more;  disappointed and resigned now, yes.!!
Hello.

What area are you in?  I would maybe consider trying to obtain an appointment with a dental school at a university. The profs there are usually into research as well as the daily clinic where they are seeing patients.

At least within this facility, you can be assessed and hopefully get some resolution to your problem.

I would also encourage you to get ALL records and films from those who have treated you previously. This may help explain your history a bit better. Have these with you on your initial appointment.

Please have patience if you go this route. Since it is a teaching facility, the process can run a bit slower than that of a private practice.
Best of luck
Thank you for responding. Your idea is a good one;  there is no other place for me to go!
I just wish there were more ways open to me to prove once and for all the two pathologies are inextricably linked.  I have copied and sent them all extracts from the scholarly literature, masses of it, where is stated time and time again

"Many previously published case reports of cutaneous chronic draining sinuses of odontogenic origin have revealed treatment that included frequent excisions and biopsies, along with the prescribing of antibiotics. These treatments only resulted in initial diminution of the appearance and drainage of the lesion, which consequently reappeared and persisted, since the source of the infection was still present (Johnson et al, 1999). "   I have pages and pages of such citations.

Sincerely

Ladoree
Keep us posted on your findings and progress. The profs at the dental schools are quite knowledgeable and I think they can give you the answers you are seeking. Again, it is very important to get all prior records and films so you can give a better understanding of your situation.