Dental Health Expert Forum
Mercury fillings and thyroid medication

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Mercury fillings and thyroid medication

DR., I have alot of mercury dental fillings from over the yrs.I started taking hypothyroid medication appx.6mo.ago.I had a tooth that had already needed a crown but couldn't afford it at the time.The dentist built it up with the substance you put over a filling until I could get the crown.I had just developed oral thrush and ulcers right before I found out about my hypothyroidism.My family dr. gave me three rounds of Duflican and Magic Mouthwash.The thrush and ulcers didn't go away. But I noticed that the substance covering my mercury fillings were eroding and exposing my fillings.Do you think that the hypothyroid medication is causing this to happen?I know that there is a link between mercury fillings and sometimes developing autoimmune hypothyroid disease.I think that I probably have an infection too.Since I began taking the thyroid medication, all the teeth that have fillings hurt.Thanks for any advice.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I'm not quite sure what material you're talking about that you put over a filling but you should see your dentist to make sure your teeth are protected.  The medication could be causing the erosion but not too sure without seeing it.  There 's no scientific evidence that i know of that amalgam fillings cause autoimmune disorders.  You should consult your dentist with your symptoms, especially if you think you have an infection.
I have been suffering from health problems for over 16 years and I have been able to identify that the fillings have been creating problems for me. I have done research and there is mixed reviews over amalgam fillings within the Dental community. The ADA says they are safe and have been used for over 150 years.
I do not agree with their opinion. I believe, from personal experience, Amalgam fillings should never be put in the mouth. Mercury inhibits your body from functioning properly and therefore leaving you open to many more health problems you may be predisposed to. Mercury can leak into the body with simply eating hot foods, being near computers screens that emit a low radation, along with power lines and more. It is amazing to see that what we put in our mouth affects our over all health.