Dental Health Expert Forum
Minor filling gone bad

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Minor filling gone bad

About a month ago, I went in for a routine cleaning and found out I had a "slight" cavity.  I was hesitant to even get it filled since I was not having any trouble with this tooth (#19), but decided to get it taken care of anyway.  I didn't realize that they had to remove an old silver filling and replace it with a new filling (which was composite).  Ever since this was done, I have had excruciating pain in this tooth when biting down on food, and often the pain will linger or throb after each meal.  I went back to "fix my bite" which the dentist assumed was the problem, but this has done nothing to ease my pain.  I've done my best to eat on the other side of my mouth, hoping the pain will eventually subside but it is not improving.  Is this common?  I have had other fillings and never had any problems with those.  What happened to traumatize this tooth?  Am I going to need a root canal or is there any other possible solution to this problem?  I must say that I will think twice before ever having the dentist work in my mouth again when no pain or serious problem exists in the first place.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would suggest that you have the filling removed and a temporary filling placed. Composite fillings can be sensitive but I don't think this one will get better. Sometimes in the placement of the composite the resin that is placed under the filling moves away from the dentin of the tooth and causes pain upon biting. Get it looked at.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Same problem was started.