Dental Health Expert Forum
Minor filling gone bad
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Minor filling gone bad

About a month ago, I went in for a routine cleaning and found out I had a "slight" cavity.  I was hesitant to even get it filled since I was not having any trouble with this tooth (#19), but decided to get it taken care of anyway.  I didn't realize that they had to remove an old silver filling and replace it with a new filling (which was composite).  Ever since this was done, I have had excruciating pain in this tooth when biting down on food, and often the pain will linger or throb after each meal.  I went back to "fix my bite" which the dentist assumed was the problem, but this has done nothing to ease my pain.  I've done my best to eat on the other side of my mouth, hoping the pain will eventually subside but it is not improving.  Is this common?  I have had other fillings and never had any problems with those.  What happened to traumatize this tooth?  Am I going to need a root canal or is there any other possible solution to this problem?  I must say that I will think twice before ever having the dentist work in my mouth again when no pain or serious problem exists in the first place.