Dental Health Expert Forum
Missing adult teeth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Missing adult teeth

Hi im 20 and female. my two bottom middle teeth are still baby teeth and there are no adult teeth to replace it. i also have a few other missing adult teeth at the back. They were really small and looked terrible.

I was wondering what you would suggest is the best way to replace them.

The dentist wanted to do a bridge but i didnt want any extractions so he did a crown. One of them is now quite wobbly and doesnt bite right. Also the gum underneath has turned completely dark colour like black. Does this mean its is dying??

Also i was wondering what can cause adult teeth not to develop

Thank You
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Usually there is a genetic component in missing teeth. The tooth buds are not present and therefore there is no permanent teeth present. If the teeth adjacent to the deciduous teeth(baby teeth) are good I would prefer that you have implants placed if possible. I do not think cutting down good teeth is the way to go in this day and age with the predictability of implants.
It is not uncommon for people not to develop a full set of teeth. The reason is genetic or developmental. From a dental perpective, it is obvious your current treatment failed (they look bad and are wobbly). At this point you should see a new dentist who does alot of cosmetics/prosthetics, and to whom you are referred by someone you trust. Make sure this dentist has implant experience. Implants sounds like the best way for you to go-- you at least want them as an option-- they are standard of care these days for many cases of missing teeth.If you go to a dentist who doesn't do alot of them, this option won't be recommended to you. You'll need a complete exam, radiographs, study models, and a full case workup with a couple of treatment options. My advice-- treat your whole mouth and be done with it.
Dr. Mike is very good, id follow his advice. i agree that implants are a great way to go at your age. have someone refer you to someone they trust. you are too young to deal with missing teeth, get the areas filled in!
Thanks for responding. ive looked up implants and they not only sound very scary but expensive. Are they expensive?? im at university so i might be able to get some help paying for them by the NHS. But sounds much better than a bridge because apart from my baby teeth and a few peg teeth - ive never had a filling and so would be a shame ruining some perfectly healthy teeth.
yes they are costly, as are all most good things in life. I'd rather see you get a full treatment plan that includes implants as opposed to fixed bridgework (which is not cheap either) and then tackle the treatment plan bit by bit as your funds allow. even if it takes a few years you'll be much happier when the time arrives if chose the best our field hads to offer. remember-- once you drill on a tooth, it's compromised. you can't unring a bell.
thanx for the compliment...
you know there is a credit called Care Credit. we used it at my old office. it lets you (depending on your income and credit score) borrow money for your treatment and its spread out over time (depending on your amount borrowed) and its interest free! one way to pay for it. myself id never have a bridge on a virgin tooth. implants are costly but very impressive!