Dental Health Community
Molar Infection - awaiting a root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Molar Infection - awaiting a root canal

Yesterday was a week ago I started having severe pain in my lower right jaw- pressure, throbbing, pain in all teeth radiating up my cheek to my ear/eye.  I need a root canal on my loweer right molar - xrays revealed all other teeth are perfectly fine.  I was given Penicillin for the infection and scheduled the root canal.  2 weeks from the xrays- is the first I can get in for the root canal.  With 1 week to go, I am beside myself in constant pain.  I normally handle pain quite well.  THe pressure and throbbing is so intense i cannot think straight. The DDS switched my antibiotic to something strogner on this past Thursday. I had been taking Motrin 800 mg and then added Tylenol in between because of the sever pain.  Still neither last for more than a couple hours.  I was prescribed Tylenol 3.  So, no Motrin and Tylenol 3.  Approx every 4 hours it hurts to the extent I feel like havign it pulled before this Friday's appointment.

My jaw hurts and feels tight, if I place my tongue on the upper teeth toward the back of my mouth and press, when I move it away, the molar area throbs like blood is rushing to it.  So, I get that I have an infection, but should it still be feeling like this and why do all of my teeth hurt like I have cavities in them when I do not and why is the pressure so intense?  When I lie down at night th blood seems to rush there throbbing so much worse, I have not had a good nights sleep in over a week.  Right now it has been 3 hours since I took meds and I feel the pain coming back as usual.  I am at the highest dosage of pain reliever I can take and it scares me to be on it for two weeks and still not working 100%.  

I am hoping someone can shed some light on why this is hurting so badly and dwhat I can possibly do to help with the pain to make it thru one more week before my root canal and I am wondering if I am going to have a problem after the root canal due to all this pain/problems now.  

Thanks for anyone reading this with any helpful information,  I am trying to make it through work this week but I am inso much pain and honestly quite worried, the DDS seems to be very non chalant about it.