Dental Health Expert Forum
Molars pulled...

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Molars pulled...
I was recently referred to a dental surgery clinic to have 4 of my molars "surgically removed" I was told by my dentist that I would be sedated & my molars would be removed surgically- However upon my appointment with the Dental surgeon it was suggested that I not be sedated but given the usual local anesthetic and have my molars pulled... During the procedure the surgeon broke the top off of 3 of the molars- then explained that he was removing the roots..  When it was over he handed me a tissue and sent me on my way with no gauze, no pain script, & no preventitive antibiotic script...
   It is now 3 days on and the swelling has gone down but I can clearly feel there is still some of the roots left on both sides. Is this cause for concern? Can this cause infection?
If there are roots left in your jaw bones, you should be concerned.   Either go back to the same place and have an x-ray taken to see if any root tips are left, or go to another surgeon.
it may not be the roots that you feel, but exposed bone. antibiotics are not ususally given unless there is an infection. the  "tops" of teeth can easily break off during extraction if there is alot of decay in the teeth. The prescribing of pain medication is up to the dentist. I personally advised advil. If pain got really bad i instructed the patient to call me at which point I may elect to prescribe something stronger. If you are unsure abut what you feel with your tongue, you may want to go back to the oral surgeon or the dentist who referred you there to perhaps take films to make sure all the roots are out.
Thank you for your reply, I will definitly make an appointment with my dentist asap. Unfortunatly I'm  pretty sure that it is roots I feel because the pieces are sticking up out of the gums and i can actually grip them with my nail.. but it feels like they are still stuck firmly in the bone:-s I't seemed the surgeon wasn't very concerned with being thorough since the appoinment was rushed and he was very rough with me. In saying that, I'm not referring to the pressure it took to actually get the teeth out, I just mean it was rather traumatic and left me with purple bruises on my lips:O(
i dont think you feel the roots. if you could wow that would be a dr of stupidness. if there were the roots left you wouldnt feel them. having no knowledge of what happened give it  a week or so to heal. if it doesnt get another opinion. sorry you are experiencing this. you wanted sedation and they refused whish is crappy in itself.