Dental Health Expert Forum
Mouth full of bad teeth, options?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Mouth full of bad teeth, options?

For a while now, my teeth have been slowly deteriorating.  Mainly it is my back teeth which are giving me the most trouble.  They seem to be rotting from the bottom up, and the tops are very brittle.  I do not have the money for a dentist or oral surgeon, and I am also afraid of complications because of the brittle nature of my teeth (breaking while the dentist pulls them).  I brush everyday and floss when I can to try and keep them from getting worse.  Lately, the pain has been more than I can stand.  Small pieces of my teeth keep breaking off.  In the back, the crown is completely gone from one tooth, and others are either cracked or somewhat broken.  I am wanting to know: Can my teeth be removed without complication, and do I have any options other than getting them all pulled and getting dentures?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is not possible to determine what your options are--saving your teeth or the need for dentures. What I will suggest very strongly is that you do consult an oral surgeon before you develop a serious infection. There are many very well trained oral surgeons who can make you as comfortable as possible.
You might see if there is a dental school in your city or near it. Most dental schools have clinics where people can get low-cost dental care.
Twofisted, Do yourself a big favor and get to the Dentist soon.I too do not like to go one bit and have had a lot of costly expense because of not going. The old saying "See me now or see me later". That is the truth. The problem with delaying is infections. I just posted a question and my answer was right on the money. I waited to long and a got a real bad infection in my throat. You think you are in discomfort now! I was told it can also affect your heart. Infections are real bad in that area and can cause a lot of problems. I was always had a "run down" feeling, up at night, enlarged glands in the throat and very hard to eat. It's not worth prolonging it, it just gets worse. Good luck!
i chipped a tooth biting a bobby pin in 1994. that tooth chipped away over 3 years more rapidly towards the end as it began to decay.the decay continued with the molar next to it to the point where it was less painful for me to yank the remainder of it out with pliers than to not.
  i live paycheck to paycheck and cant afford one dentist visit. a pal offered to cover it - had me go have my teeth assessed by his dentist - 13 grand in just saving whats left.- pal backed down.
  i have managed to slow down the deterioration considerably by -
  filing any chips immediately till theyre smooth.
filling holes/ cavities with "fix it all" available at home depot. (deep holes i thoroughly clean sterylize and pack a peroxide saturated strip of cloth in the bottom of the hole first.
  root canals- use syringe to access the infection through the gum NOT  the tooth (dentists only do that to charge you for caps its not necessary if your tooth isnt decayed) lance / drain the infection and keep flushing with peroxide.  
good luck.