Dental Health Expert Forum
My Bottom Front Gums Hurt

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

My Bottom Front Gums Hurt

The gums below the middle two teeth. When I looked in a mirror, I noticed that there was a shiny white (off white, a little yellow) spot and that my gums were red, they have been hurting for about a week now. Please help! I'm 14 and want to make sure that it's something worth getting checked out before I talk to my parents about it. I really need to know soon.
My initial guess is that its tartar buildup and gingivitis in your gum line area.  You should get a dental checkup and cleaning and that would resolve the issue.
By the way, I just got braces and molar bands on the top and just molar bands on the bottom... not sure if this has anything to do with it...
Ok, but why is it hurting just in that area?
Probably a buildup of tartar in that particular area.  I would guess you're not brushing properly?
That would make sense... But one last question.
What is the white(ish) spot then? It looks to me like a tooth...
Not sure why it would look like a tooth?  Sometimes tartar can be chunky and hard so it can seem chalky but I don't imagine it'd look like a tooth but perception can be different.
Sorry, what I meant was that it looks as if there is a hole in the base of my gums, and It looks like I could see the tooth through it...
Its possible you may have an extra tooth but I would imagine your previous checkups would have shown that.