Dental Health Expert Forum
My dental crown is repeatedly falling out

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Nearly two years ago I had a root canal and a crown put on a back molar. A year and a half later, while eating sticky candy ( I know, foolish ) the whole crown tore off. I kept it, went to the dentist and he re-cemented it. I was fine for a couple of months when it happened again. Again, I was eating something sticky ( but not that sticky ) He recemented it and asked me if I grind my teeth at night, as that could be the culprit. I used to grind my teeth pretty badly as a child, but assumed I outgrew it. I am single so I have no true way of knowing if I do this. I am a migraine sufferer, especially these last few months. He also said I had an unusual crossbite that isn't the 'norm' and this misalignment could be creating an issue.

Tonight it happened again. No warning. The crown felt fine, not loose or anything. I was simply FLOSSING around it and it tore off. It cost well over a thousand dollars. I am incredibly frustrated and disgusted with having to go back again and again for this. I have no pain.

Would bruxism cause this? The crown was a perfect fit so this makes no sense to me. Do mouth guards help? I cannot do a sleep study due to my budget. Thanks for your help.
Definitely go back to your dentist to get the crown placed again.  See if he can adjust the bite slightly to give you some more room to move laterally (side to side) and relieve any extra pressure on the crown.  As for bruxing, if you're not sure, you can always try to have a nightguard made or you can buy a store-bought nightguard that you can try to custom fit in your mouth.  They're not as nice as the ones made by a dentist but it can be a decent one that can be used until you can afford a better nightguard.  See if that helps.
I had the crown replaced - again and plan on getting a mouthguard. The dentist menitoned that the cement inside the crown appeared 'cracked' indicating possible trauma.

Thanks for answering my question, was very helpful.
You're welcome.  Make sure that the lab knows you're a bruxer and to try to create more space for movement.