Dental Health Expert Forum
My tooth with a crown on it just started hurting bad

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had an old crown on a tooth from childhood. It got a hole in it and caused infection. I had new porcelin crown put on it last spring. This tooth just started hurting me really bad. It started when I ate icecream . Now it pretty much just aches all the time. If i chew on that side it hurts aches and is sore real bad and takes a while to calm down. I have been known to clench my teeth. I have noticed sensitivity in my front teeth and an upper tooth but they don't hurt real bad like this one with the crown. I am going to call my dentist. Does anyone know what this might be? Has anyone had this before? I don't know if I clenched my teeth and did somethig to that tooth or something else going on? That fact that it hurts a lot when cold hits it or I chew on that side, that's what really gets the pain going.
It can be caused by a few times but my guess would be that there's some infection that has gotten into the nerve and you probably need a root canal on the tooth.  The clenching may also contribute to the pain and you may want to consider the use of a nightguard to help with the clenching and seeing if that solves the problem prior to a root canal.  Hope you feel better.