Dental Health Community
NUMB CHIN AND LOWER LIP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Viewing 801-865 comments:
SAME THING JUST HAPPEND TO ME. I WENT TO CANCUN MX. FOR IMPLANTS. I HAVE TO SAY THEY HAD BETTER EQUIPMENT THAN THE USA DENTISTS DO. A 3D X RAY MACHINE.. HOW COOL IS THAT..
I HAVE NUMBNEASS ON MY LIP AND CHIN BUT FROM WHAT I READ AND FROM WHAT THEY TOLD ME, IT IS NORMAL . ITS ONLY BEEN 2 WEEKS...THIS PLACE I CHOSE AFTER RESEARCHING 4 MONTHSIN THE WORLD,   FROM INDIA TO BUDAPEST TO TAIWAN TO MEXICO.         .I MIGHT HAVE CHOSE INDIA.. WE WILL NEVER KNOW... AN 18 HOUR FLIGHT WAS THE REASON I DIDN'T..   BUT THEY USE A SWISS COMPANY, AND THEY CAN DO PERMENANT TEETH IN 1 VISIT. IT IS CALLED PERMENANT TEETH IN 3 DAYS..AND THEY USE 16 IMPLANTS..      .  IT ACTUALLY TAKES 10 DAYS. BUT THEN YOUARE DONE.   I CHOSE OCEAN DENTAL IN CANCUN BECAUSE MOST OF THE STAFF SPEAK FLUENT  ENGLISH.  AND HALF THE STAFF STUDIED IN AMERICA. DR. IRMA THE OWNER WHO SITS   IN ON ALL CONSULTATIONS AND IS IN CHARGE OF TREATMENT PLANS, STUDIED IN CALIFORNIA AND MICHIGAN, AND TAUGHT IN MICHIGAN.  SHE IS US BOARD  AND ADA CERTIFIED. PLUS   THEY HIRE THE BEST IN THE WOLD OR EACH FIELD INCUDING BRACES........THEY ALL TOLD ME NOT TO GET A TON OF WORK DONE IN 1 VISIT BUT I AN IN A RUSH.. I HAD A BONE GRAPH. 9  IMPLANTS AND 7 EXTRACTIONS AT 1 TIME..   NOW I HAVE SOME PAIN 2 WEEKS LATER. NUMBNESS IN LOWER LIP AND CHIN., AND LOWER CHIN IS PAINFUL WHEN TAPPED  OR  ACCIDENTLY HIT MY CHIN,   WHERE THE IMPLANTS ARE AT. THEY SAY IT IS NORMAL...   FOR A SECOND OPINION IS IT????? SIGNED   RANDY SAVED 30 GRAND IN MEXICO
I am not saying another practitioner wouldn't have injured you...but what you report is NOT normal.  For the symptoms you reference, they damaged your Inferior Alveolar nerve.  The big concern with implants is 'why' you have numbness and pain.

There are two potential reasons:

1. when they extracted your rear bottom teeth, you disrupted the nerve...I am presuming and hope only on one side.  This may recover quickly or may take years to improve with uncertain outcome...depends on extent of the injury to the nerve.

2. with implants...they didn't size them properly and the implant screwed right into the nerve.

For me, I would absolutely have a post surgery CBCT scan performed to see if the implant is pressing on the nerve.  If this is the case and the implant not removed and properly sized, your nerve will never recover.

Good luck
I read your comment. That was full of inspiration for me. I have the same issue after 2 years past from my jaw surgery. I hope it'll get better but ... It's me, source of negetive thoughts :(
Hi everyone
Somebody tell me, the numbness in lower lip will ever get healed or not?
After 1 year and 10 month I have 10% numbness in my lower lip, it's killing me. I need to know, is it ever going to heal or not? For example after 3 years later.
Sorry for my bad english. Please answer.
ehsan.***@****
Thaks in advance.
Just curious why 10% numbness would be killing you?

As to what level of recovery you will achieve...its the same question each of us ask.  I suggest you read the entire forum for personal accounts..  Many accounts of recovery...including one lady here that recovered after 10 years.  Likely the only reason we ever learned of her recovery is because she was unfortunately injured on the other side.  A common dynamic is...when people heal over a very long period, they are so relieved they don't return to a forum such as this and remind sufferers it is possible.
My opinion only.
My mantra is...choose hope over despair.  All we have.
Good luck to you and everybody here.
Really 10 years?? Wow!
I really needed your words, tnx. So full recovery is possible, i try to be positive and choose hope over despair.
Thank you Timeheals60.
Hi again Timeheals60
I read the forum, and realized my problem is 10-15% tightness. I can feel everything in my lower lip, but it's sort of cold and heavy and tightness. Is this as the same as numbness and will heal eventually or not?
I don't want to say your question is unanswerable, but all any of us can do is consider the experience of what others have reported with the same injury.  The tough part is, within the family of the same injury, there is quite a variance in terms of how the nerve can be injured because of a tooth extraction, implant or say a needle injection.  Injuries occur at various degrees of severity and this affects prognosis and time line for recovery.

The way I look at it is...having read as much medical literature as I could find, talking to as many MD's and PhD's as I could etc and listening to the anecdotal accounts on this forum...is the following.

From my personal experience, I believe the answer is, if your mouth is continuing to change say week to week or even more broadly month to month...then you most likely are on a trajectory of healing.  So I believe first and foremost that is the question each of us must ask ourselves...is our mouth changing with time albeit excruciatingly slow which is the speed that the nerve heals and why hard to know with precision.  But it is more complex I believe as many here have discovered.  There is regression at times for some unfortunate like myself that had their inferior alveolar nerve badly injured.  I had a very difficult extraction.  In fact my symptoms at times are difficult to live with because I have intermittent tongue electric pain as well...that seemed to heal but has re-emerged in the last 6 months or so.  I haven't been able to determine if this is simply a branch of the same IAN nerve tree or more specific to damage to the lingual nervel which affects tongue sensation and pain in spite of my efforts to determine this.  I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't matter.  But when my chin flares which is every week or so due to what I believe is the brain struggling with further regeneration of the nerve...some believe pain is a healthy sign for example...when my chin flairs, my tongue can too and that equates to a difficult day or part of the day when this occurs.

But stepping away from the above a bit on more benign days when my mouth seems more dormant...or when not having a regressive episode of nerve hypersensistivity and flaring due to the nerve regenerating....I believe I have a 'chance' of more recovery but even just shy of 1.5 years where I am today, still impossible to determine if I will fully recover.  I believe the probability goes down with greater time...say over 2 years...but again, I bring up one4love....10 years and her numbness finally went away.

So I would say almost anything is possible when it comes to the nerve regenerating ..or pain going away for example...just like the overwhelming pain many of us had in the early days has largely been replaced with either numbness or more sensation.  

In the last couple of months, I have regained more feeling in my lower lip for example...and there seems to be a further shift of tightness more toward the bottom of my chin versus a larger area of my chin.  So when I don't focus on the bad days I still have, it seems my mouth is improving overall but with each passing month, the bad days I still  have reminds me that I may have to live with this at some level.

I believe nobody has a precise answer to your question because it is asked repeatedly whenever the IAN is injured and no medical expert has a solid answer because of the complexity of the injury that occurs on the molecular level within the nerve trunk.   I do believe with some certainty however...if your mouth is changing versus say staying the same for 3 months or so, then you are still on a path of recovery.  Whether you recover to 100% past 2 years....perhaps not...but to a level where hopefully your life will be affected very little...the hope each of us have with a longer term IAN injury.

And want to add a further footnote relative to the above and address the concept of "tightness" that myself and so many here have struggled with and as in my case, continue to experience.

I want to say further, how ignorant the medical community is about the symptom of tightness when I mention it.  I tell all the MD's I have spoken with that the overarching symptom of the IAN being injured aside from either neuropathic pain and numbness...is tightness based upon all I talk to with this injury.  They look back at me like they don't even believe what I am telling them.  This level of ignorance about this injury is almost inexcusable really.  So called experts that don't even understand the symptoms.

My hope moving forward.  Let's say there are a small percentage of us that don't heal from this and have to live with tightness moving forward which some days all will admit is pretty awful in spite of efforts to cope.  My hope is a therapy will come along to ease this tightness and make our mouths feel more normal...perhaps not resolving the numbness issue which is more benign...but addressing the tightness many of us feel.  I hope the medical community wakes up and addresses this issue and a therapy comes along.  No doubt it with time....there is no question.  But will it occur in the next 5-10 years is the question.
Break through: 10-27-15

I am about 3 weeks shy of 1 1/2 years since my wisdom tooth extraction where my IAN was badly injured and have been battling this ever since.  Today my mouth has made another transition.  I reported that my mouth feels like it has been changing each couple of weeks or so.
It is difficult to even choose words to describe this change.  In fact, I am reluctant to even say that it is healing.  I have written about several bad days along the way.  But for me at least, my nerve continues to change at almost 1 1/2 years.  Pretty remarkable.  I believe my nerve is still waking up.  I have more sensation.  It isn't an itchy feeling exactly but would say very close to feeling that way.  I wanted to ear mark this date and also report that my nerve continues to regenerate at well after 1 year.  No idea where this is headed but to me this amount of change is quite palpable and hope is...a stepping stone to further recovery.   I have to say the sensation change is disarming.  I am almost in denial but it is too significant to deny.  A discernible step and noteworthy.

Continued healing to all.
Based upon where I am at as I just posted above with a noticeable change to my mouth at 17.5 months aka just shy of 1 1/2 years...I wanted to repost what Aprilchristine posted previously as she was just shy of 2 years at 22 months.  Her words I believe exactly describe the path I hope I am on in ensuing months and provides hope to many here that say aren't at the 1 year recovery mark with a long way to go that when you hit the two year mark you may be in a lot better place.

Aprilchristine's post this past June:

Hey Everyone, I haven't posted in a while, but wanted to give an update. It's been 22 months for me. While the first year and a half, this lingering tightness and numbness consumed almost my every waking thought, I am having more and more days, I realize I haven't thought about it in a while. It is so hard to quantify improvement because it is so subjective, and I have never chosen to place a percentage on my healing because I would have always put it SO low, like not even 50%. But I am here to say that I think that finally the lingering tingling in my chin is almost completely gone! This makes me so happy! Also, the tightness is still there somewhat, but honestly it seems to be decreasing ever so slowly as well. Oh I will be SO SO excited to post here one day that everything is back to normal! I think it is a long way off still, but today I will finally go ahead and say that I think I may be around the 80% mark. I do sincerely wish you all strength and grace, and hope through this.ya'll!

I can only hope for April, myself and many other long term sufferers that we follow one4love's long term recovery which took several years in which she recovered fully....reaching a place along this protracted journey whereby this injury no longer distracts us from the joy of living.

Happy for you my friend. Hope everyone of us get heal sooner.
Thank you again for your support and helpful and synergetic notes.
I believe my tightness one day will be lost.. Hope any others too.
I will let you and others know if one day I fully recovered.
Wishing you all the best.
Thanks.  I believe at the end of the day all we can do is learn from one another in terms of what to expect moving forward relative to time.  As discussed, our injuries though similar, are not necessarily the same.  So we all may share general aspects like tightness which seems to be extremely common and what I feel quite a bit of...and of course numbness...but degree and combination and where in the mouth these occur and even time line to recovery are probably much different for many.  Nor is each of our bodies ability to heal from a given injury to the IAN the same.  So above creates quite an elastic scale to recovery for each of us.  

There are also many insidious elements as we all have learned based upon an IAN injury.  For me, its the continuous companion of regression along with slower than slow progress.  This is quite disconcerting because there are days for example that I feel much worse than I did 3 months back...when further changes to the nerve has caused a large degree of agitation.  And then...2 days later that change to the nerve settles down and manifests improvement.  So it is jagged staircase of recovery with many relapses along the way for me at least.  Bad days seem to have to follow better days.

What I have tried to glean as my recovery has languished now for almost 1.5 years is...what is the expectation for longer term suffers?  Will we recover?  The book on this I believe isn't widely understood including within the medical community. And...perhaps there are even exceptions to the norm based upon a given type of injury to the nerve.  One problem with a solid data base is...after a long and protracted recovery where a certain level of healing has occurred, many people I believe stop posting on forums like this.  So long term recoveries are not charted with any specificity.

Best of luck to those that say are less than one year from their injury and yet believe they are well away from being healed.  Many have come forward here and stated pretty unanimously that there is discernible healing between the 1 and 2 year period.  What is less clear is what the subsequent healing pattern is after 2 years.  To me, there is no data to suggest that the healing process stops after 2 years.  The nerve continues to regenerate and then the brain tries to make further sense of these changes which hopefully leads to greater sensation and an overall sense of greater normalcy with less impact on our lives over time.
Hi Timeheals and everyone thank you for posting.  after 18 months of the dental injection injury to the IAN I still have good days and not so good days, on the good days I am not really bothered by the slight tightness and tingling sensation, mainly in the lip and chin area and can very easily be distracted from it ie when I am eating or drinking.  Some of the trickling sensations of water running down my chin I had initially have gone which is a good sign.  I have had an ache at the site of the injury and sometimes seems to move towards my ear on and off for about 6 months which I am hoping is a sign of  attempts to repair the nerve.   I believe that the nerve  will continue to heal,even though this is a very slow process and this keeps me positive.  Very best wishes to you all and enjoy life.
Has anyone here filed a lawsuit for their parasthesia?  My bad luck was inflicted upon me three weeks.  It's hell.
Most dentists have patients sign a waiver stating that parasthesia is a possbility with wisdom tooth extraction which precludes impeding lawsuits due to this issue.  I am not sure there there is a sum of money that atones for the heartache of this condition.
Hi everyone!
I joined the numbness club a week ago when I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted under general. I just wanted to check in and say that this forum has been my saving grace as I am come to understand what this torturous affliction is. 'Luckily" (although at the moment I don't really feel it) I only seem to have had damage on my lower left side. My surgeon was brilliant and walked me through all the possible outcomes of surgery. Paresthesia was actually right at the bottom of my list of concerns, which seems really ironic now as it is ALL I think about! I have total numbness over the left side of my chin, lower lip and my lower left gums. Tingling, yes, itching, yes, tightness, fluttering sensations, 'cold pain' and OH MY GOSH the burning in my lip, YES.

I know from these posts that I am in the VERY early stages but this past week has been a rollercoaster of fear, sadness, frustration and anxiety, not to mention lack of sleep! All the usual fun stuff that everyone here is going through :-) EVERYONE here, especially you Timeheals, and all these posts have given me a huge boost of hope and positivity that we can all come through this. It is the worst thing when you think you are alone - no-one I speak to about it seems to understand and no matter how busy I keep myself it always pushes itself to front and centre throughout the day.

I believe and am trying to accept that this is the beginning of potentially a long journey but you guys are really keeping me sane. Thank you so much for being here and sharing. Sorry for the long first post. I wish you all the very best and look forward to hearing how everyone is doing. :-)
Hi Hopefloats,
Much of what you are about to experience has been written.  Yes, this forum is a godsend to us sufferers.  Hard to know how long or arduous your road will be.  You won't learn much from your so called 'brilliant' surgeon.  They don't know if or when you will recover and honestly, they won't tell you the extent of the damage to the nerve either because they did it and a self indictment although they may rationalize it as it was unavoidable which I dismiss..  I could go into a long rant about all the new people coming here which will continue for years to come unless dental practices are changed.  You see dental procedures are OK for the masses but there is a minority that become injured either do to lack of due diligence of the dental practitioner..or archane dental practices designed for a comfortable margin between tooth root and IAN.   Reality is...for those with close proximity of nerve to root, conventional practices for wisdom teeth should NOT be used.  They are inappropriate and doing so has life altering consequences as I can attest and as the other hundred or so here can as well...and no doubt thousands of sufferers throughout the world.  Needless.  Surgeons don't use a giant lever when performing brain surgery and they shouldn't for extracting an impacted wisdom tooth either.  We are simply alive during the stone age of dentistry. 50 years from now wisdom tooth extractions performed today will be looked upon as anvil and chisel which is precisely what it is.  So please feel my outrage to every single person here affected needlessly.  I feel for you.

If you want to learn the trajectory of my healing please click on my user as I have written a fair amount about my spotty recovery from the beginning.  I encourage you to read Starbrite's path as well who was my inspiration to do the time with some hopefulness..  In the last week...and this is 1.5 years from my injury I came through a pretty horrific week of pain.  But today...I am better.  One odd dynamic to keep in mind is, the nerve heals generally after periods of pretty intense pain at times.  Its hard to embrace this pain, but that is how it goes with this injury.  The brain rejects the anatomical change to the nerve as the nerve heals and then adjusts to this new connection and greater normalcy emerges.  A most peculiar and disconcerting healing pattern.

Post with any concerns.  If you feel you are literally going off the deep end, there is relief in terms of meds that will give you much greater peace of mind.  I have written about this.  I personally went through a very dark episode and making it through would have been very difficult without a little help.  Don't needlessly suffer. FWIW nobody can will mental health.  Your brain chemistry changes due to the depression of this injury.  Post with ANY concerns and myself and others will try to help you get to the stage of recovery where you will have more confidence you will be ok.  Hopefully you will recover quickly.  Meanwhile stay close to family and friends and lighten your load as much as possible. Some do recover quickly , so hold out for this hope.

Best of luck to you and all here.
Thank you for your response Timeheals. I totally agree that we all seems to be at the mercy of outdated dental practices and the sheer number of people on this site alone highlights how much of a concern it should be in the medical field.  The fact you are still seeing improvements after 1.5 years is amazing, but understand how frustrating the non-linear progress must be. I'm really not sure if I am seeing significant enough pain to warrant any breakthroughs, but I guess I am still in the early days and everyone is so different...

Seeing my surgeon tomorrow for my post-op but know that however great he is, he will not be able to tell me how long it will take to heal. Sure he will try and fob me off with some kind of empty promises, but I signed the waiver, and paid an exorbitant amount of money for the privilege to have him operate on me, so more fool me :-) My problem is that i am constantly thinking 'what if i went with another surgeon?' but know that the location of my nerve was always going to be an issue no matter who performed the extraction. Ah well.

I will certainly be checking in to see how you and everyone is doing when I can. All the best guys,
Hopefloats,
In some ways the early days are a bit easier to cope with than the days after 1 month or so.  Not to alarm you about what to expect. Then after several months after greater healing you will hopefully achieve enough improvement to give you confidence you can do the time with more grace as you proceed toward greater normalcy.  If say you have a stretch injury and the IAN trunk is intact..I had what I believe to be a pretty extreme stretch injury to the IAN where most axons where severed within the nerve...then the connection is lost and the there is pretty pervasive numbness in the early days. Basically the lamp wire inside the lamp cord was cut and the light was turned out.  Then...remarkably...the body goes to work and all the broken axons die and within the trunk of the nerve which is a sheath or conduit of sorts to protect the axon...then Wallerian degeneration occurs and the body clears away these dead axons and new axons begin to sprout.  It is the sprouting or rebirth of the nerve that causes pain.  So in some ways, pain is good if one can mentally overcome this counterintuitive aspect of the healing process.  It is only through the 500th repetition of this cycle that a given patient aka me :) starts to question the veracity of the healing process ;) A long road for some with this as noted by those that have gratefully contributed their story here.

There are many difficult elements to the recovery process mentally.  And there is the grieving process of loss of health.  Not a single person here for a moment ever thought of the consequences of this going in to have their wisdom teeth removed.  What the dental industry tells prospective patients is tantamount to gross misrepresentation.  There can be tremendous suffering with this injury if severe enough.  I have suffered beyond description with this.  But...through this exhaustive recovery...I am slowly emerging i.e. remain hopeful as I type this...in another 2 years or so, I am hopeful I will be well enough to be unbothered.  My mouth continues to change on this jagged trajectory of beyond slow recovery.
I am hopeful your injury is much less and you recover quickly as some do.  It is not abnormal for the person with this injury to have pervasive numbness for 1-2 months when more sensation returns and discomfort sets in on the way to complete healing. When the pain starts, look upon this as a healthy sign...new axons growing within the nerve trunk.  Statistically only a very minute percentage don't recover from this.
Simply try to accept the steps involved moving forward.  This takes mental tenacity and hopefully a full life to distract you.  Don't be silent.  Tell your love ones about your pain to help you cope.
All the best.
I am so grateful to have found this post and see the most recent postings being updated. I had an implant put in back in Jan 2015 and had IAN injury due to the drilling instrument. I am fortunate to have never had any pain but with some one with no health history, this has been a log ordeal of despair and a significant Quality of life alteration. MY oral surgeon tells me what you have after 6 mos is the "new normal" and I am stuck with for life. I am delighted to hear differently and wish those who have had complete remedy of their situation had stuck around to tell more.
Hi Titan,
This forum is a revelation on many levels and one thing it reveals is the malpractice associated with installing implants.  This reality is largely more insidious and unforgivable compared to genetic outliers of the inferior alveolar nerve being intimate with an impacted wisdom tooth root which causes injury upon extraction.  The reason is...incompetent oral surgeons don't adjust their drilling depth properly and they drill into the nerve. Depth of drilling is determined by a CBCT scan to understand proximity of the nerve relative to fastener depth...the implant attachment is effectively a screw.  The important point and this is significant for you to consider is...that there hasn't been double jeopardy to the IAN as the fastener that holds your implant in place isn't now placing compression on the injured nerve. So insult to injury can be perpetrated if the nerve is drilled into and then the fastener is screwed down pressing into the nerve.  This needs to be discussed with the surgeon and reviewed on a "post operation' CBCT scan to ensure the implant is not pressing on the nerve.

Further injustice to those needlessly injured?  What the medical literature teaches surgeons and dentists about nerve recover.  It is widely inaccurate and irresponsible and in layman's terms, utter BS.  The 6 month mantra of what you see is what you get, it a complete false narrative as debunked by many testimonials here and a gross injustice to those unfortunate to suffer this injury and live in silent despair believing their quality of life will be forever degraded.

I wrote a while ago I was a cyclist and I come across many MD's and PhD's who gravitate to this sport.  I ran across two MD's while cycling...man and wife...and when I find out and individual is a doctor, I generally ask about nerve recovery...their experience.  An interesting conversation.  Both in this case as it turns out had peripheral nerve injures....an uncanny probability...the woman was a surgeon and had her finger crushed in a car door.  The man had a needle injection in his arm made by an inexperienced intern that hit a critical nerve which caused debilitating neuropathic pain many of us have experienced with our mouth injuries.  Quite a freakish occurrence for two married doctors.  Of course the finger damage to the woman doctor was devastating...she couldn't feel her finger and had dyesthesia which is devastating to somebody who requires ultimate dexterity to perform her job.  So when I asked the million dollar question...if or rather when I would recover from what I characterized as a devastating nerve injury affecting my mouth and face, they both responded in unison...2 years.  I am on this trajectory as it turns out.  I have asked the question here.  Who that are still injured after 1 year has achieve further healing by the 2 year mark?  Those that responded pretty much all said they did.  The nerve continues to improve in spite of the bogus assertions made by ignorant oral surgeons who btw, do not injury patients often.  We are outliers and members of an unlucky club...but thousands have been injured like we have throughout the world.  But in your case Titan, it was largely malpractice..make no mistake and this issue has become more prevalent as implants are becoming more common with aging baby boomers.  Oral surgeons have to be highly vigilant about drilling depth and when they get it wrong, a very dire result as you know.

One4love recovered from her IAN injury after 10 years. She said the numbness gradually faded away and one day she woke up and her mouth felt normal.  She came back her to reflect this only because...and this defies understanding from a statistical standpoint...only to have her other side injured when wisdom tooth was extracted on opposite side..  But she gained tremendous confidence from her ordeal that she will recover on the other side as well.

In summary...no we don't have crystal ball.  But just like my mouth has changed 'substantially' from the 6 months to 1.5 year point, yours will too.
My mouth in fact continues to change weekly and I expect to follow the path of AprilChristine and Starbrite and others who have made it past the two year point and are still recovering.

Of critical importance Titan however is you either see your oral surgeon for a CBCT scan to ensure the implant is not pressing on the nerve...or another surgeon to confirm this.  This should be done now and not later as chance of recovery is highly compromised if the fastener is compressing the nerve.

Hope above helps and good luck to you and everybody here.
Hi everyone, I've been reading (almost) every single one of your responses over the past week hoping I would not have to join in. But I do. Tomorrow will be one week since I had my 2 lower wisdom teeth removed under general anesthesia. I'm a 26 year old female, otherwise generally healthy. Like many of you my lower lip and chin on the right side is still numb and tingling as well as the outside portion of my gums in that area. At first I was optimistic because in the beginning it seemed as my damage wasn't as bad as most people on here and more on track with the couple people who said they recovered quite quickly...but now I'm not so sure. The very first day I was itching like CRAZY but couldn't relieve it because I couldn't feel anything at all. I was also very tingly since the very first day. I thought this was good because I know a lot of you didn't have that until a little later on if I'm not mistaken? I called the surgeons office on the first and second day in a panic and neither of the nurses seemed to be concerned and  said it could take a few days. Well tomorrow will be one week and I know this is very early on but I'm still super scared. I saw the surgeon today for a follow up but it was not the one who did my surgery (my fault because of my schedule) he showed me the X-ray where my tooth was super deep into my nerve on that one side. That side has also been worse recovering from surgery. And bruised. Anyway, in the past week I actually have had some very SLIGHT improvement the area is slightlyyyy smaller and if I poke with my fingernail or something sharp I can feel it slightly in random spots. Also I just feel generally less numb only in my lip. It tingles like crazy mostly at night as everyone has said. I'm scared because I have not yet felt a burning pain. The pain is there but has been mild and bearable. I also just tonight did the shower head test and couldn't feel anything :( but immediately after felt a burning sensation that I haven't felt before. It was a much more intense pain than what I've been feeling. I thank you all for your reassuring words and updates. If it weren't for this forum I would be hysterical all the time!! I am grateful of course because I am otherwise healthy and it could be much much worse but this has affected my life so much in just one week as I know you all can relate to. I have anxiety disorder to begin with and can't even fathom having to deal with this for a year or more!! Or even 6 months! :(
We basically need a group hug. :-)  My heart hurts when I read your account which is all too common.  Some words of hopeful encouragement.  You WILL recover.  It may be soon or it maybe a long time like me, but your age and health is a BIG factor to your recovery.
The thing about life which is fraught with unknowns.....NEVER choose despair over hope unless you are certain of an untenable outcome.  In this case you aren't certain you won't recover.  No we don't know the future, but statistics are largely in your favor and if not perhaps perfect recovery...more like a benign acceptable or new normal which will be perfectly tolerated and perhaps diminish to perfect normalcy over time.
You are a well spoken young lady with your whole life in front of you.  If you are prone with anxiety disorder or this tendency, get help.  In fact what has happened to you maybe the beginning of your journey to explore the basis for your anxiety and your journey to beat it.  This injury robs serotonin.  For people like you (and me) this may put us over an anxiety threshold we can't tolerate.  You need to tweak your brain chemistry to bring this back into more normal balance.  As I have written prior and maybe some don't understand or even agree, nobody has the force of will to beat down mental illness.  Your brain chemistry, and mine and others is largely genetically predisposed including your IQ, your personality and even your talent level.  Don't suffer in silence when you feel the world spinning around you.  I am older than you with a lot of life experience.  When this happened to me, I started to have anxiety attacks even on my bicycle...I am a cyclist.  So I understand the mental anguish involved.  Many here do.
For people that are toward the anxiety end of the spectrum, go to your MD, tell him/her what is going on and request either a long term anti anxiety med...or...what I did...past tense, a prescription for Ativan when I needed it periodically.  You will have bad and fearful days.  Other days you will be more hopeful and ok.  On the bad days when you start having very dark thoughts, take a med to calm down.  The way this will work is...you will recover each month.  This will give you further confidence you will be OK which will lower your anxiety level.  Once you improve enough....say in 6 months when you know you will be OK...you won't need any help because your brain chemistry will be closer to normal.  I can't remember the last time I took an Ativan...but in the early days, I was suicidal about this.  Don't needless go to this dark place.  See your MD...he will understand and you will be a lot happier for doing so.  

Again, when you don't know the future, don't choose despair about anything.  None of know the future about anything.  There are many inspirational stories here.  Choose hope Smorat and see a MD for a script for Ativan or Xanax as your safety net to take you through the dark days.  Btw, I am not even a proponent of meds.  I take no meds.  But I know anxiety because my family is prone to it.  We are all ruled by our brain chemistry and again, nobody has the strength of will to order up good mental health in the face of adversity.  Sometimes we need a little help and a life saver it is.

Timeheals, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a beautiful and well thought out response. You are correct some days are better than others. Although it's only been a week I shift my attitude. Today was much better and hopeful for me. I try to think of it as yes this is horrible and will be horrible if it lasts such a long time or even forever BUT there are people with far worse conditions like cancer or other paralysis etc. who would kill to only have what we do. Actually, as I type this the TV is on in the background and I'm watching "K-9 Cops" and a girl just got shot while 7 and a half months pregnant!! It could always be wise. While this condition is life altering, it's not life threatening and I suppose that's what matters most. So for that I am grateful. That's the thing about anxiety, depression, etc is that you can be great one day and terrible the next. I do also have Xanax that I take on an as-needed basis. So that helps in my daily life although I've been taking it more in the past week lol but like you, I do not like to take meds unless absolutely necessary.  I am certainly starting to come to terms with this because even if it's not healed I know for sure that it can only get better from here! Hopefully.. Lol :)
You have the right perspective and each of us need reassurance when adversity knocks on our door which it will as part of life.  I can tell you so many stories including about the poor couple I saw maimed in a car accident when I was waiting in the waiting room to see my surgeon for a follow up.  The man sat next to me and the unthinkable happened to them out of nowhere.  I had my tooth removed in a hospital setting and even the smartest man probably in my state that puts people's faces back together after accidents and disease couldn't extract my tooth without a level of devastation to the nerve. So the blessing of my health that I had almost taken for granted was stripped from me.  For each of us, there is an inevitable grieving of lost health.  I still honestly grieve but try to focus on other incredible blessings in my life as I have been so fortunate.  Love gets us through the hard times Smorat...love of family, s/o and love of self.  Let others know your pain and anguish and lean on them.

Those prone to anxiety like you and me of course are further rocked when things don't go as we hope.  Meds are a literal life saver during these difficult times.  Free will is largely a myth. The subconscious is what each of truly believe and wins the day and steers the ship...us.  So unless we believe something in our core, our anxiety will be present and no amount of self determination or self talk can redirect this thinking.  Yes modeled behavior influences our anxiety level.  So important to surround yourself with reasonable and positive people if you can find them in this crazy world. :-)  
But as stated, now is the time to really exam your anxiety about all things.  Many good books on the subject btw.  What came first...modeled behavior around you determining your brain chemistry of anxiety or your natural predisposition to anxiety based upon your genetics?  Actually its both.  But through understanding, you can cope much better.  I have.  Even choice of careers makes a big difference.  Choose a career compatible with your personality type.  If you don't like public speaking for example, don't choose a job where you have to get up on stage all the time.  Some are born to do this and crave the lime light and some prefer to be behind the scenes.  Accept the way you are hard wired and love who you are and accept each of us are special in different ways.
With the right perspective, anxiety will fade.  But I will tell you.  I have always been on a path of enlightenment and self discovery as self improvement is who I am.  This rocked my world....the worse thing that has ever happened to me.  I couldn't talk myself out of my anxiety even with all of my life experience.  During these times, don't needlessly suffer.  Take a med to get you through the rough times and they will come.  With time you won't have to.
Please be sure to share your recovery with the forum here as each of us have learned from one another from those gracious enough to contribute their stories.  Each of us always get back much more than we give by helping others through their difficult days.
Take care.
Hey guys, been reading about all of your expiriences with the same thing I am feeling !! I am 16 days post surgery and my right lower lip chin gums and teeth are numb.. My teeth feel like they are being pushed together! And my Chin hurts most of the time .. I feel itchy on my chin, a burning sensation on my lips, and a tingly almost like a lightning on my chin too. Sorry I don't know how to describe it . But I'm sure you all know what I mean. The first week all I could do was cry day and night .. With the feeling that this was going to last forever. Luckily I found this site and it's giving me so much hope ..! Been reading TIMEHEALS60,STARBRITE.. And a few others I can't remember the names .. Haha but I do have one fear... That the one side is going to completely freeze and my lip is going to be uneven .. And I will not be able to talk.. I constantly talk to myself in the mirror to see how I look, I look normal. But I don't feel normal..;(
marghespos,
Hi.  The scourge of this injury is the burden we personally bear...the private pain of how we feel which is transparent to the world around us.  That is why this forum is so valuable.  You have come to a place to share how you feel and you will be completely understood.  Each of look normal but feel far from it.  If you follow the pattern of a so called typical invasive injury to the nerve which sounds like you are...you for the next few weeks will slowly emerge..emphasis on slow...with greater sensation which is typically interspersed with many weird sensations including electric pain, tingling, itching etc.  This is not for the feint of heart however should be looked upon as a positive step to the healing process. So do consider the changes you will be experiencing as disconcerting as they are to being a net positive.  But total numbness or pervasive numbness should be looked upon as almost normal for the reasons I wrote about in a few posts prior.
Also, important to note, your young age of 25 is a big factor to your recovery.  Your young body will rejuvenate itself quicker and more thoroughly than an older person based upon the medical literature.

Even though you feel like your mouth is frozen...my speech was badly impaired initially because of my pretty extreme nerve injury which involved my tongue as well by connection through the gums...motor function is unaffected by this injury. But...our motor function is affected in terms of the feedback we get from our  change in sensation which alters this feedback and so we don't move our mouth the same way and hence your concern which should slowly dissipate as you gain more sensation.  My speech after a long period of recovery and I am a long way from full recovery which btw in my case, I may not achieve...my speech is good now.  I love to talk as much as I like to write :-) and so this has been a big burden for me and when I speak I am reminded I have not recovered as I have altered sensation which affects my enunciation and so I have to concentrate a bit harder on speaking although nobody can tell but me.  Hopefully you will not experience this in your recovery.

Stay hopeful you will recover quickly.  I believe through this forum, much about this injury has been written including astounding accounts of long term recovery like one4love.  You are just starting your recovery so choose hopefulness you will recover quickly and  completely with time.  
Importantly however, if you are suffering with great anxiety, 'get help'.  See your MD for meds to get you through this dark period.  Don't needlessly suffer because this is in effect double suffering.  I wrote above about how anxiety is spiked for many if not most and some like myself go to a darker place than others.  Please get help if you feel this way because this injury alone is almost too much to bear and if you feel you are going off the rails, don't suffer further.
I received your PM and wanted to respond publically because sadly there are newly injured that come here and need affirmation about the future and what to expect.
You are just beginning your journey back to full health and stay positive and hopeful.
I hope above words help.
Timeheals60- thank you for
Your encouraging words, and
For taking the time to answer me. Yes my injiry was due to a wisdom tooth extraction that was done while I was awake.. He inserted novacane into my gums. And I'm not sure how much is the right amount, but I really think he put too much ... He put around 4 injections  in there ... But anyway, yes some days are better than others . Today I have a tingly feeling on my lip even if I stretch to smile or talk. Feels so weird .. Now my main concern is that my lip will become uneven ...does that happen to people with this type of nerve injury ? Worries me
So much !
Hi marghespos,
The unevenness you feel or observe is based upon the numbness and altered sensation.  Motor function should be unaffected but the feedback of your sensation likely alters the position of your lip on the side affected.  This should subside with time...but maybe weeks.
Let us know what your surgeon says about what happened.  Possible he did inject the nerve directly with the numbing needle which can injury the nerve.  A more likely scenario is he injured the nerve while extracting the tooth based upon the position of the tooth.  Tell us if the tooth was horizontally impacted and what your surgeon says when you have your follow up and more can be answered...that is if he tells you truth which he may hedge to protect to him from liability.  They basically have a similar mantra when these injuries occur but worthwhile to see what he says.
Good luck
Timeheals60- I have an appointment on January 4th with a different surgeon... Would not dare go back to him !!! I'm hoping all will turn out well for me. I'm scared I will never heal. But as I read posts from others the feelings of tingling burning and itching are good, and I do feel that, so I may be on the right path of healing and recovery ! I pray to god I am at least . I will keep you posted if I feel any changes ... Thank you for assuring me about the uneven lip. That's the only thing that really makes me crazy!
And yes my tooth was impacted, and my root was somewhat curved ..
And also, does the condition get worse normally ? Or usually stay the same/get better ?
Guess no one is on here any more :(
For the vast majority...you start at total numbness if the nerve is damaged when the tooth is extracted...then the healing starts which results in more sensation.  For most if not all, everybody recovers to a substantial degree.  I haven't heard of anybody getting worse.  For those with a substantial nerve injury like me, recovery can be long and painful...some ok days and many with discomfort.  It really depends on the magnitude of injury to the nerve and a person's health.
Hope that helps.
Hello, all. It's been a while since I have posted, but I promised to always check back here and report, so I try to come back every few months. It's been two years and four months since my wisdom tooth removal. The first few weeks were horrible, the first few months extremely difficult, mostly from fear that this condition would be permanent. I couldn't imagine having the paresthesia the rest of my life! I just wanted to offer some hope and let you all know that even though I haven't regained all of my normal sensations in my chin, it is a LOT better and before I got on here tonight, I don't think I even noticed the slight numbness at all today. And I feel confident that by next year, I will be even better. Even this past summer, my smile was just slightly crooked, but the family pictures we took this fall, no crooked smile! To me that tells me that even though I can't necessarily tell a difference from this past summer, my nerves are continuing to heal.  If you are going through this, you may feel completely discouraged that your life will never get back to normal, but I am here to say that it is possible, and I pray that will be the case for you all who are experiencing this as well. Have a blessed and Merry Christmas!
Hi aprilchristine!!
Just wanted to thank you for sharing your update and congratulate you on your progress:) I have a question . You said you had a crooked smile .. When did that start ? And did it get worse as time passed ?
Hi Aprilchristine,
I sent you a private message with a question about your further recovery. Can I also ask about any residual tightness you feel?  Has this improved steadily over the last six months?  You mentioned slight numbness but do you still notice tightness when you move your mouth?
Many thanks and continued healing.
There is tightness still with movement which is probably my most lingering symptom. But I think it has loosened some, which is why I think my smile isn't a little different on one side anymore.
I noticed from the beginning that my smile wasn't exactly symmetrical, meaning that if I smiled really big, one side of my lower lip was lower than the other. It never worsened as time passed. It seems to be resolved now.
My nephew had his wisdom teeth extracted recently.  His lower wisdom teeth were near the nerve.  He was still having problems with numbness and feeling of swelling 3-4 weeks out.  He was given a round of steroid and is feeling back to normal.  I hope this may help someone.  I think it helped him because it was given early enough.  It doesn't hurt to try.
Aprilchristine
Thank you for answering my question.. It's just so hard to know what to expect with this kind of thing bc everyone is different in the healing process.. Me, well I am 5 weeks post surgery and still numb, I am expiriencing what they call hypersensitivity and it ***** !! Well it doesn't hurt, it's just a weird feeling. My chin and lip are very tingly, itchy, crawly, burning, all that good stuff. My oral surgeon did testing and said I should recover 100% within 6 months. I guess only time will tell. I have the left side wisdom tooth coming in, he did X-ray and said it lays close to the nerve as well, so he is just going to take the crown out and leave the roots, and if they begin to give me problems in the future, then it will give the roots time to position away from the nerve and he'll extract . Then I have 2 upper wisdom teeth. They don't bother me, yet..... I'm not sure weather to take them out or not
I have just had a dental implant put in 8 days & had no idea of any of these side effects beforehand, had I known I would never have had this procedure. My dentist said he did not hit or damage the nerve but during the prodcedure I had a pinching feeling in my chin. I now do not ahve any feeling in my lower front jaw , chin & lip...I am not happy about this. He said it could take 6 to 8 moss for full recovery. Now I'm wondering if it will ever be the same way it was before the implant?
Frozen lip Canada
Is it in both sides?...or just one side?
Your dentist did something and he can deny it all he wants.

Two possible causes for your condition:
1. he drilled into the nerve when creating the fastening hole for the implant.
2. the threaded screw is sized too long for the implant relative to the position of the nerve and is therefore compressing the nerve.

Next Steps:
I will tell what I personally would do.
You need a CBCT scan to determine if your dentist did 1. and/or 2. above.

Not much you can do if he drilled into the nerve which sadly is much more common with this surgery than the public knows.

But...if the implant fastener is compressing the nerve the implant MUST be removed for any chance of the nerve recovering.

To ask him to perform a CBCT scan maybe beyond his scope...he may not have such a machine however many oral surgeons do in contrast to dentists who rely more heavily on xrays.  Call around to see who has a CBCT  machine and can assess 1. and 2 with the greatest clarity. This is tell you whether the implant much be removed and/or resized.

Best of luck.  Recovery with damage to the inferior alveolar nerve is largely about the magnitude of injury...how invasive the injury was and your health in terms of bodies' ability to heal itself.  You will not recover however if the implant is compressing the nerve and at this point, its hard to trust what your dentist says because he will try to protect himself from liability for injuring your nerve.  
Many here including me...my IAN was badly damaged and I am still trying to recover...we each  know what you are going through.  Keep in mind not a single person here...and there have been others injured in a dental chair having implants...ever expected this to happen.  None of us.  Coping moving forward as we try to recover is difficult but some do recover relatively quickly and others like myself hopefully will recover over several years. The IAN does regenerate on some level...sometimes back to 100% but no doctor can predict  magnitude of recovery or time frame.
Guys!! I lost this page and finally found it again. I wanted to update you guys. It has been 4 months today since my surgery and I am so happy to say that my lip and chin are about 90% back to normal! I don't even notice any lingering affects anymore unless I really think about it. It ***** in the beginning and everyone is different of course but you will heal!! I promise :)
So great to hear Smorat.  Wonderful to learn you are feeling better and continued healing!  Thanks for sharing your progress with us.

Thing I have learned with all the information sharing on this board...certainly much more the dental or medical community can offer is...recovery is somewhat related to age...younger people tend to recover faster if not more completely...this even isn't an absolute, but the biggest underlying determinant of recovery seems to be magnitude of injury to the IAN.  This is the only thing I can surmise based upon the broad range of recovery and timelines those injured have proffered. If the IAN is somewhat severely injured or badly degraded short of severing due to tooth extraction or by other means...needle injection, implant drilling etc, then the road to recovery is longer and more difficult.  This is what happened unfortunately to me.  I am quite sure at this point my IAN was very badly stretched due to my tooth extraction which the surgeon told me was extremely difficult.  My road to recovery has been long and difficult and so far incomplete at approaching two years since my injury.  I will say for me, as short as a month or so back, I had some very difficult days.  But in recent days, my mouth has been feeling a bit better.  A long way from well, but better.  I can only hope that I continue to feel better as we all do.

Speaking of which a shout out to the collective here that may have one4love's email address.  I would like to contact her and see how she is doing.  Some here may recall her story. One4love's story is one of legend on this forum. She recovered on one side after 'ten years'...had numbness and discomfort and mostly numbness after five years and then after ten long years she woke up and discovered her mouth felt perfectly normal.  Of course this give all of us with long term injuries hope that we too will recover over time as we live our lives.  But then the unthinkable happened to one4love and she went in to have her opposite wisdom tooth extracted only to have the IAN on the other side injured and back to the same symptoms of discomfort and numbness on the other side.  Hopefully for her, her healing will be much faster this time...again depending on extent of injury which is unknowable by even the smartest doctors.

So I would sure like to contact one4love and see how she is doing and wish her well with the unbelievable odyssey she has undergone...a fate none of us could even imagine.  I sent her a private message on this forum a short while ago but apparently she has not been here in quite a while.

My best to all of you and thanks for your continued sharing.  Hope is what keeps us moving forward believing there are better days ahead.
Timeheals I believe you are absolutely correct about the age of the person. This goes for any type of injury or sickness I believe. I'm so sorry you are still in the healing process this long after your surgery. Do you think you are almost back to normal? I do believe if we have healed this much thus far, it's almost certain it will heal completely. So as you've said in the past, you must focus on that! Good luck to you all
Thanks for your sympathy Smorat...much appreciated.  We are all in this together but of course some heal quicker than others.  I think more than a little can be gleaned by the 'trajectory' of one's healing process.  Sounds like you have made great strides in a relatively quick period of time...in relative terms...nerves regenerate dreadfully slow.  So I believe your prospects in particular are quite positive for a full recovery.  By contrast, my slower than protracted recovery doesn't portend as favorably.  I believe there is a chance...likely a good chance I will have a permeant deficit which is reported in a very small percentage of injuries to the IAN.  This is based upon the apparent severity of the injury to my IAN and my age even though I am in outstanding health and an exercise nut.  My fate is unknowable...but at almost two years and not close to full recovery, I would say a chance I may have a deficit for the rest of my life with this.  Good news is...I can handle it moving forward because of the improvement I have realized which has been painfully slow.  This injury no longer disrupts my life like it did.  In the early days, I had difficulty even speaking as there was even nerve damage to my tongue which resolved about six months ago or so.  A month or so ago I had a pretty significant scare.  I regressed for a couple of weeks.  But since then, I have improved.  Seems to be the nature with this injury....progress with setbacks interspersed on a jagged path to recovery.  I am hopeful...only a hope...in a couple more years I will be at 90% or better recovered.  Meanwhile I have mended enough to get through my days and nights relatively unaffected now.  I have come so far from the depths of despair over this and why I try to participate here and candidly discuss this complex injury with those that encounter it.
Heal fast and I bet you will be pretty much all better inside of a year as is often reported.
Best Regards.
I found this form while looking for answers, I too had wisdom teeth extraction and was told about the risk, they told me I had a 5% - 10% chance this was going to happen .. actualy one Dr refused to remove them as he told me this might damage ur lips and chin and advised me to leave it alone.. I wish I listen to him ..any way I woke up with numbness in my right lip and chin and sore front teeth.. I can feel my lip and chin .. hotcold .. pain but it feels weird.. I ddnt see my dentist as they told me u dont need a follow up ..if u want come to the emergincy clinic for double the fees -_- ! any ways I was in paaaaain for almost a week and a half .. I had to take time out of work.. umm I am now almost 2 and half weeks after.. I feel better that the tightness losen a little or maybe I got use to it.. I feel fine if I dont talk or touch my face..but it gets annoying if I touch my face... although I ddnt go to my dentist after my sister is a neurologist , she did the tissue paper test and said that as long as I feel something am probbly going to heal it would just take time.. she suggusted some pills to help if am very irritated with the numbness but I dont want to so this is an option ppl can go to a neurologist  and ask for some madication.. I try to not be upset because of this and try to think positive.. thing of ppl who lost an arm or cant walk or got paralized and just know that time will heal us.. I will try to update as much as I can
am a 25 yr old female .. also I had some numbness in my nose from a nose job that heald fast .. although I suffered from weird uper lips stiffness " couldnt simle" that heald 80% after 10 months.. seems like every time someone pokes my face I get nerve damage :( no appadorul for me. !
Hjr123,
You’ve been through a lot in your young age with your nose job and now wisdom tooth extraction.
What I can tell you is by far, the early days are the most difficult.  If you feel panicky, consider taking an anti-anxiety med like xanax or ativan…but only if your doctor agrees of course through a prescription.  You will get better…more on a monthly basis than a daily basis…nerves heal dreadfully slow.
If you come up with a medication that works for reducing pain as prescribed by your neurologist relative, please share this information on the forum if you would.  So far many have struggled with neuropathic meds taking the sting out of pain due to this nerve injury….but medicine changes constantly and hopefully there will be things on the horizon to help those who continue to be injured based upon tooth extractions who come to this forum for support.
Good luck.  People on this forum know what you are going through.  Better days ahead and post with any concerns.
Hi everyone!  Hope you remember me. Sorry I have been away so long. It has been just over 3 years since my injury. I would love to say that I'm totally healed, but there is a residual feeling that is different than the normal side.
I don't think about it much, but just went to the dentist and it reminded me to come back and give you an update. I have no pain - on occasion I will feel a slight tightness or pinching. I would say it is centered on my lower eye tooth. I have no numbness, but the sensation is different than normal - hard to describe. If I press on the area it is more noticeable, it is there, but doesn't really bother me.
Hope you are all happy and healing. Wishing you the best and praying for your full recovery.  Xoxo
Hi!  I got an email saying there was a message from you, but I can't find it anywhere and the link they provided didn't work. Please let me know if you need anything. I hope you are doing well. :)
im in the same boat and in a panic
im still in shock.
Hi blessed2bme52,
I received your private message and thanks so much for responding to my question.
So good to hear you continue to improve after 3 years now which gives each of us hope that we may share your path of recovery over time.

Thanks again for visiting this forum after so much time has elapsed from your injury.  This input is vital to those with long term injury to the nerve because likely the vast majority with this injury fall away from reporting any incremental progress because they personally have attained a high level of healing whereby this injury is no longer such a burden.

My personal thanks for your selfless reporting which is so important to add some clarity to those who desperately want to better understand their future by example.

Continued healing and be well blessed2beme...
Hi all
Not been on for a while, but just to say after 2 years since ian injury I am much better and don't think about it very often. Never thought I would be able to say this. Take care it does get better. Xx
Hi Everyone. I'm in the same boat as you all. I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a week ago and have numbness, tingling, pain, and more on the right side of my chin, lower lip, and gums / teeth. My smile is crooked now as well.

My question for you all is, how long does it take you to continue with your normalcy? For example, I find it difficult to brush my teeth because I can't feel the toothbrush on my teeth and gums. It's difficult to eat because I can barely feel the food in my mouth. Do you get used to that and work around it? Is it always frustrating to do formerly basic tasks? Will I regain enough cheek muscles to smile normally?
I suppose the best response is...resumption of normalcy is dependent on the magnitude of injury to your nerve, your age and health...latter influences your bodies' ability to heal itself.
So no roadmap for each of us as it turns out which makes recovery so unsettling.  Some will recover quickly and completely, and some like myself may never recovery fully...I am still have dysesthesia I have adjusted to after two years...however you will achieve enough recovery to get on with life with less upset over time.  You may achieve complete recovery in less than 6 months as well...so keep this hope until you have to move the goal posts over time.

Your question is the signature question everybody wants to know...and there isn't a doctor on the planet smart enough to answer it as it turns out based upon current technology.

So frustration to perform former tasks will lessen with time and honestly you won't need any workarounds over time...even those with pronounced injury like myself can resume life normally only with adjustment in sensation.

My advice which I try to live by is...always choose hope in replacement of fear when it comes to not knowing the future...a metaphor for life really.

Even though days directly ahead may be dark...or not...my early days were...you will come through this tunnel of uncertainty and be OK.  Please be assured of that.

Best to all.
PS: so great to learn you are feeling well Kazlilly.  Wonderful to hear and thanks for letting us know.
Hi everyone! Sorry that it's been awhile since I last updated but I "celebrated" 3 years this past February. I was reading what blessed2bme52 wrote on April 21 and it is almost exactly what I still am feeling!! To start with, I go through everyday barely thinking of my injury, that is until I purposely move my mouth around to check how much has healed. This is when I come to realize that although I've come a very long way, and have healed a tremendous amount, things still don't feel 100% right. Like blessed2bme52 said, it too is all centered on my lower canine tooth. Sometimes I feel like I wish I can have that tooth removed as it may relieve the pressure I still have. I am no longer really numb, but it feels different than the normal side. Even though the core numbness went away, I never fully regained back the feeling on my lip that causes tickles, and that is where the discrepancies between the two sides truly lie. It basically feels a little dead on the injured side, yet it detects any object on it and feels temperature, weird. I still haven't grasped how to really explain this, especially to someone who doesn't have this injury, but hopefully this makes sense to all here. I also want to mention that I still occasionally have bitten the inner gum on my injured side when I eat. Doesn't happen often but maybe once every 5 months or so. It's kinda cool that the pain is minimal when it turns into a canker sore (compared to how it would be hurting on my healthy side), but what I do notice is that when this happens, the area becomes tighter and bothers me to a greater extent. The minute the gum heals, the tightness wears off a bit and things go back to feeling more comfortable. Odd, but it happens each time. I'd love to hear if this happens to anyone else. All in all though, things are better and I do go through my life now without thinking much about what happened to me. However, I do wish I would have healed 100% now after 3 years and 3 months. I still have hope that maybe one day I will be back to feeling fully normal :) I hope everyone has enjoyed reading my posts and that they have helped you in your own recovery process. Please stay strong as things do get better! XOXO
Anybody still out here?
i feel like i am late to reach out for this site but i have been having lower lip tightness since almost 3 years and i still hope for possible alternatives for recovery
I just had the tooth Next to the lower left wisdom tooth extracted today... I had the one inside that tooth extracted back in April..  I still have the wisdom tooth... It stands alone!   They both were chipped playing rugby and finally became abcessed.  I have had numb feeling in my chin and lower lip since the first extraction.  thank god for this forum so at least I know other people have experienced what I am going through.   I describe it as "tiny dull explosions" when I poke my chin or lower lip..  
I have just read through all 852 answers. Such an awesome read for someone newly dealing with this! All of your insight and experience has been helpful. I am hoping I have lucked out as I  am two weeks post extraction  and already have feeling I'm my lip and most of my chin. I can feel hot and cold too. The skin on my chin and lip is still quite sensitive to the touch and I am still getting the tightness feeling and tingly pains, but am hoping  to to experience months of pain and slow progress that many have recounted!  you are all troopers. I look forward to hearing how you are all doing now!

Em x
That should say "hoping NOT t of experience the pain" lol I am not a massacist
Viewing 801-865 comments: