NUMB CHIN AND LOWER LIP
HAD LOWER LEFT WISDOM TOOTH OUT TUESDAY AND NOW IT IS SEVEN DAYS LATER AND STILL HAVE LEFT LOWER LIP AND LEFT SIDE OF CHIN NUMBNESS AND FRONT LOWER TEETH AND GUM ON INSIDE ALSO..GOING BACK TO ORAL SURGEON ON THURSDAY TO SEE WHAT HE SAYS..ALSO ALTHOUGH THERE IS THE NUMBNESS I HAVE PERIODIC ITCHING FEELING AND CRAWLEY FEELINGS IN MY CHIN AND LIP, DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE INFERIOR ALVELOAR NERVE DAMAGE..WILL IT GET BETTER  IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TAKE TO HELP THIS SITUATION..THANKS FOR THE HELP
Thanks.  I believe at the end of the day all we can do is learn from one another in terms of what to expect moving forward relative to time.  As discussed, our injuries though similar, are not necessarily the same.  So we all may share general aspects like tightness which seems to be extremely common and what I feel quite a bit of...and of course numbness...but degree and combination and where in the mouth these occur and even time line to recovery are probably much different for many.  Nor is each of our bodies ability to heal from a given injury to the IAN the same.  So above creates quite an elastic scale to recovery for each of us.  

There are also many insidious elements as we all have learned based upon an IAN injury.  For me, its the continuous companion of regression along with slower than slow progress.  This is quite disconcerting because there are days for example that I feel much worse than I did 3 months back...when further changes to the nerve has caused a large degree of agitation.  And then...2 days later that change to the nerve settles down and manifests improvement.  So it is jagged staircase of recovery with many relapses along the way for me at least.  Bad days seem to have to follow better days.

What I have tried to glean as my recovery has languished now for almost 1.5 years is...what is the expectation for longer term suffers?  Will we recover?  The book on this I believe isn't widely understood including within the medical community. And...perhaps there are even exceptions to the norm based upon a given type of injury to the nerve.  One problem with a solid data base is...after a long and protracted recovery where a certain level of healing has occurred, many people I believe stop posting on forums like this.  So long term recoveries are not charted with any specificity.

Best of luck to those that say are less than one year from their injury and yet believe they are well away from being healed.  Many have come forward here and stated pretty unanimously that there is discernible healing between the 1 and 2 year period.  What is less clear is what the subsequent healing pattern is after 2 years.  To me, there is no data to suggest that the healing process stops after 2 years.  The nerve continues to regenerate and then the brain tries to make further sense of these changes which hopefully leads to greater sensation and an overall sense of greater normalcy with less impact on our lives over time.
Hi Timeheals and everyone thank you for posting.  after 18 months of the dental injection injury to the IAN I still have good days and not so good days, on the good days I am not really bothered by the slight tightness and tingling sensation, mainly in the lip and chin area and can very easily be distracted from it ie when I am eating or drinking.  Some of the trickling sensations of water running down my chin I had initially have gone which is a good sign.  I have had an ache at the site of the injury and sometimes seems to move towards my ear on and off for about 6 months which I am hoping is a sign of  attempts to repair the nerve.   I believe that the nerve  will continue to heal,even though this is a very slow process and this keeps me positive.  Very best wishes to you all and enjoy life.
Has anyone here filed a lawsuit for their parasthesia?  My bad luck was inflicted upon me three weeks.  It's hell.
Most dentists have patients sign a waiver stating that parasthesia is a possbility with wisdom tooth extraction which precludes impeding lawsuits due to this issue.  I am not sure there there is a sum of money that atones for the heartache of this condition.
Hi everyone!
I joined the numbness club a week ago when I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted under general. I just wanted to check in and say that this forum has been my saving grace as I am come to understand what this torturous affliction is. 'Luckily" (although at the moment I don't really feel it) I only seem to have had damage on my lower left side. My surgeon was brilliant and walked me through all the possible outcomes of surgery. Paresthesia was actually right at the bottom of my list of concerns, which seems really ironic now as it is ALL I think about! I have total numbness over the left side of my chin, lower lip and my lower left gums. Tingling, yes, itching, yes, tightness, fluttering sensations, 'cold pain' and OH MY GOSH the burning in my lip, YES.

I know from these posts that I am in the VERY early stages but this past week has been a rollercoaster of fear, sadness, frustration and anxiety, not to mention lack of sleep! All the usual fun stuff that everyone here is going through :-) EVERYONE here, especially you Timeheals, and all these posts have given me a huge boost of hope and positivity that we can all come through this. It is the worst thing when you think you are alone - no-one I speak to about it seems to understand and no matter how busy I keep myself it always pushes itself to front and centre throughout the day.

I believe and am trying to accept that this is the beginning of potentially a long journey but you guys are really keeping me sane. Thank you so much for being here and sharing. Sorry for the long first post. I wish you all the very best and look forward to hearing how everyone is doing. :-)
Hi Hopefloats,
Much of what you are about to experience has been written.  Yes, this forum is a godsend to us sufferers.  Hard to know how long or arduous your road will be.  You won't learn much from your so called 'brilliant' surgeon.  They don't know if or when you will recover and honestly, they won't tell you the extent of the damage to the nerve either because they did it and a self indictment although they may rationalize it as it was unavoidable which I dismiss..  I could go into a long rant about all the new people coming here which will continue for years to come unless dental practices are changed.  You see dental procedures are OK for the masses but there is a minority that become injured either do to lack of due diligence of the dental practitioner..or archane dental practices designed for a comfortable margin between tooth root and IAN.   Reality is...for those with close proximity of nerve to root, conventional practices for wisdom teeth should NOT be used.  They are inappropriate and doing so has life altering consequences as I can attest and as the other hundred or so here can as well...and no doubt thousands of sufferers throughout the world.  Needless.  Surgeons don't use a giant lever when performing brain surgery and they shouldn't for extracting an impacted wisdom tooth either.  We are simply alive during the stone age of dentistry. 50 years from now wisdom tooth extractions performed today will be looked upon as anvil and chisel which is precisely what it is.  So please feel my outrage to every single person here affected needlessly.  I feel for you.

If you want to learn the trajectory of my healing please click on my user as I have written a fair amount about my spotty recovery from the beginning.  I encourage you to read Starbrite's path as well who was my inspiration to do the time with some hopefulness..  In the last week...and this is 1.5 years from my injury I came through a pretty horrific week of pain.  But today...I am better.  One odd dynamic to keep in mind is, the nerve heals generally after periods of pretty intense pain at times.  Its hard to embrace this pain, but that is how it goes with this injury.  The brain rejects the anatomical change to the nerve as the nerve heals and then adjusts to this new connection and greater normalcy emerges.  A most peculiar and disconcerting healing pattern.

Post with any concerns.  If you feel you are literally going off the deep end, there is relief in terms of meds that will give you much greater peace of mind.  I have written about this.  I personally went through a very dark episode and making it through would have been very difficult without a little help.  Don't needlessly suffer. FWIW nobody can will mental health.  Your brain chemistry changes due to the depression of this injury.  Post with ANY concerns and myself and others will try to help you get to the stage of recovery where you will have more confidence you will be ok.  Hopefully you will recover quickly.  Meanwhile stay close to family and friends and lighten your load as much as possible. Some do recover quickly , so hold out for this hope.

Best of luck to you and all here.
Thank you for your response Timeheals. I totally agree that we all seems to be at the mercy of outdated dental practices and the sheer number of people on this site alone highlights how much of a concern it should be in the medical field.  The fact you are still seeing improvements after 1.5 years is amazing, but understand how frustrating the non-linear progress must be. I'm really not sure if I am seeing significant enough pain to warrant any breakthroughs, but I guess I am still in the early days and everyone is so different...

Seeing my surgeon tomorrow for my post-op but know that however great he is, he will not be able to tell me how long it will take to heal. Sure he will try and fob me off with some kind of empty promises, but I signed the waiver, and paid an exorbitant amount of money for the privilege to have him operate on me, so more fool me :-) My problem is that i am constantly thinking 'what if i went with another surgeon?' but know that the location of my nerve was always going to be an issue no matter who performed the extraction. Ah well.

I will certainly be checking in to see how you and everyone is doing when I can. All the best guys,
Hopefloats,
In some ways the early days are a bit easier to cope with than the days after 1 month or so.  Not to alarm you about what to expect. Then after several months after greater healing you will hopefully achieve enough improvement to give you confidence you can do the time with more grace as you proceed toward greater normalcy.  If say you have a stretch injury and the IAN trunk is intact..I had what I believe to be a pretty extreme stretch injury to the IAN where most axons where severed within the nerve...then the connection is lost and the there is pretty pervasive numbness in the early days. Basically the lamp wire inside the lamp cord was cut and the light was turned out.  Then...remarkably...the body goes to work and all the broken axons die and within the trunk of the nerve which is a sheath or conduit of sorts to protect the axon...then Wallerian degeneration occurs and the body clears away these dead axons and new axons begin to sprout.  It is the sprouting or rebirth of the nerve that causes pain.  So in some ways, pain is good if one can mentally overcome this counterintuitive aspect of the healing process.  It is only through the 500th repetition of this cycle that a given patient aka me :) starts to question the veracity of the healing process ;) A long road for some with this as noted by those that have gratefully contributed their story here.

There are many difficult elements to the recovery process mentally.  And there is the grieving process of loss of health.  Not a single person here for a moment ever thought of the consequences of this going in to have their wisdom teeth removed.  What the dental industry tells prospective patients is tantamount to gross misrepresentation.  There can be tremendous suffering with this injury if severe enough.  I have suffered beyond description with this.  But...through this exhaustive recovery...I am slowly emerging i.e. remain hopeful as I type this...in another 2 years or so, I am hopeful I will be well enough to be unbothered.  My mouth continues to change on this jagged trajectory of beyond slow recovery.
I am hopeful your injury is much less and you recover quickly as some do.  It is not abnormal for the person with this injury to have pervasive numbness for 1-2 months when more sensation returns and discomfort sets in on the way to complete healing. When the pain starts, look upon this as a healthy sign...new axons growing within the nerve trunk.  Statistically only a very minute percentage don't recover from this.
Simply try to accept the steps involved moving forward.  This takes mental tenacity and hopefully a full life to distract you.  Don't be silent.  Tell your love ones about your pain to help you cope.
All the best.
I am so grateful to have found this post and see the most recent postings being updated. I had an implant put in back in Jan 2015 and had IAN injury due to the drilling instrument. I am fortunate to have never had any pain but with some one with no health history, this has been a log ordeal of despair and a significant Quality of life alteration. MY oral surgeon tells me what you have after 6 mos is the "new normal" and I am stuck with for life. I am delighted to hear differently and wish those who have had complete remedy of their situation had stuck around to tell more.
Hi Titan,
This forum is a revelation on many levels and one thing it reveals is the malpractice associated with installing implants.  This reality is largely more insidious and unforgivable compared to genetic outliers of the inferior alveolar nerve being intimate with an impacted wisdom tooth root which causes injury upon extraction.  The reason is...incompetent oral surgeons don't adjust their drilling depth properly and they drill into the nerve. Depth of drilling is determined by a CBCT scan to understand proximity of the nerve relative to fastener depth...the implant attachment is effectively a screw.  The important point and this is significant for you to consider is...that there hasn't been double jeopardy to the IAN as the fastener that holds your implant in place isn't now placing compression on the injured nerve. So insult to injury can be perpetrated if the nerve is drilled into and then the fastener is screwed down pressing into the nerve.  This needs to be discussed with the surgeon and reviewed on a "post operation' CBCT scan to ensure the implant is not pressing on the nerve.

Further injustice to those needlessly injured?  What the medical literature teaches surgeons and dentists about nerve recover.  It is widely inaccurate and irresponsible and in layman's terms, utter BS.  The 6 month mantra of what you see is what you get, it a complete false narrative as debunked by many testimonials here and a gross injustice to those unfortunate to suffer this injury and live in silent despair believing their quality of life will be forever degraded.

I wrote a while ago I was a cyclist and I come across many MD's and PhD's who gravitate to this sport.  I ran across two MD's while cycling...man and wife...and when I find out and individual is a doctor, I generally ask about nerve recovery...their experience.  An interesting conversation.  Both in this case as it turns out had peripheral nerve injures....an uncanny probability...the woman was a surgeon and had her finger crushed in a car door.  The man had a needle injection in his arm made by an inexperienced intern that hit a critical nerve which caused debilitating neuropathic pain many of us have experienced with our mouth injuries.  Quite a freakish occurrence for two married doctors.  Of course the finger damage to the woman doctor was devastating...she couldn't feel her finger and had dyesthesia which is devastating to somebody who requires ultimate dexterity to perform her job.  So when I asked the million dollar question...if or rather when I would recover from what I characterized as a devastating nerve injury affecting my mouth and face, they both responded in unison...2 years.  I am on this trajectory as it turns out.  I have asked the question here.  Who that are still injured after 1 year has achieve further healing by the 2 year mark?  Those that responded pretty much all said they did.  The nerve continues to improve in spite of the bogus assertions made by ignorant oral surgeons who btw, do not injury patients often.  We are outliers and members of an unlucky club...but thousands have been injured like we have throughout the world.  But in your case Titan, it was largely malpractice..make no mistake and this issue has become more prevalent as implants are becoming more common with aging baby boomers.  Oral surgeons have to be highly vigilant about drilling depth and when they get it wrong, a very dire result as you know.

One4love recovered from her IAN injury after 10 years. She said the numbness gradually faded away and one day she woke up and her mouth felt normal.  She came back her to reflect this only because...and this defies understanding from a statistical standpoint...only to have her other side injured when wisdom tooth was extracted on opposite side..  But she gained tremendous confidence from her ordeal that she will recover on the other side as well.

In summary...no we don't have crystal ball.  But just like my mouth has changed 'substantially' from the 6 months to 1.5 year point, yours will too.
My mouth in fact continues to change weekly and I expect to follow the path of AprilChristine and Starbrite and others who have made it past the two year point and are still recovering.

Of critical importance Titan however is you either see your oral surgeon for a CBCT scan to ensure the implant is not pressing on the nerve...or another surgeon to confirm this.  This should be done now and not later as chance of recovery is highly compromised if the fastener is compressing the nerve.

Hope above helps and good luck to you and everybody here.
Hi everyone, I've been reading (almost) every single one of your responses over the past week hoping I would not have to join in. But I do. Tomorrow will be one week since I had my 2 lower wisdom teeth removed under general anesthesia. I'm a 26 year old female, otherwise generally healthy. Like many of you my lower lip and chin on the right side is still numb and tingling as well as the outside portion of my gums in that area. At first I was optimistic because in the beginning it seemed as my damage wasn't as bad as most people on here and more on track with the couple people who said they recovered quite quickly...but now I'm not so sure. The very first day I was itching like CRAZY but couldn't relieve it because I couldn't feel anything at all. I was also very tingly since the very first day. I thought this was good because I know a lot of you didn't have that until a little later on if I'm not mistaken? I called the surgeons office on the first and second day in a panic and neither of the nurses seemed to be concerned and  said it could take a few days. Well tomorrow will be one week and I know this is very early on but I'm still super scared. I saw the surgeon today for a follow up but it was not the one who did my surgery (my fault because of my schedule) he showed me the X-ray where my tooth was super deep into my nerve on that one side. That side has also been worse recovering from surgery. And bruised. Anyway, in the past week I actually have had some very SLIGHT improvement the area is slightlyyyy smaller and if I poke with my fingernail or something sharp I can feel it slightly in random spots. Also I just feel generally less numb only in my lip. It tingles like crazy mostly at night as everyone has said. I'm scared because I have not yet felt a burning pain. The pain is there but has been mild and bearable. I also just tonight did the shower head test and couldn't feel anything :( but immediately after felt a burning sensation that I haven't felt before. It was a much more intense pain than what I've been feeling. I thank you all for your reassuring words and updates. If it weren't for this forum I would be hysterical all the time!! I am grateful of course because I am otherwise healthy and it could be much much worse but this has affected my life so much in just one week as I know you all can relate to. I have anxiety disorder to begin with and can't even fathom having to deal with this for a year or more!! Or even 6 months! :(
We basically need a group hug. :-)  My heart hurts when I read your account which is all too common.  Some words of hopeful encouragement.  You WILL recover.  It may be soon or it maybe a long time like me, but your age and health is a BIG factor to your recovery.
The thing about life which is fraught with unknowns.....NEVER choose despair over hope unless you are certain of an untenable outcome.  In this case you aren't certain you won't recover.  No we don't know the future, but statistics are largely in your favor and if not perhaps perfect recovery...more like a benign acceptable or new normal which will be perfectly tolerated and perhaps diminish to perfect normalcy over time.
You are a well spoken young lady with your whole life in front of you.  If you are prone with anxiety disorder or this tendency, get help.  In fact what has happened to you maybe the beginning of your journey to explore the basis for your anxiety and your journey to beat it.  This injury robs serotonin.  For people like you (and me) this may put us over an anxiety threshold we can't tolerate.  You need to tweak your brain chemistry to bring this back into more normal balance.  As I have written prior and maybe some don't understand or even agree, nobody has the force of will to beat down mental illness.  Your brain chemistry, and mine and others is largely genetically predisposed including your IQ, your personality and even your talent level.  Don't suffer in silence when you feel the world spinning around you.  I am older than you with a lot of life experience.  When this happened to me, I started to have anxiety attacks even on my bicycle...I am a cyclist.  So I understand the mental anguish involved.  Many here do.
For people that are toward the anxiety end of the spectrum, go to your MD, tell him/her what is going on and request either a long term anti anxiety med...or...what I did...past tense, a prescription for Ativan when I needed it periodically.  You will have bad and fearful days.  Other days you will be more hopeful and ok.  On the bad days when you start having very dark thoughts, take a med to calm down.  The way this will work is...you will recover each month.  This will give you further confidence you will be OK which will lower your anxiety level.  Once you improve enough....say in 6 months when you know you will be OK...you won't need any help because your brain chemistry will be closer to normal.  I can't remember the last time I took an Ativan...but in the early days, I was suicidal about this.  Don't needless go to this dark place.  See your MD...he will understand and you will be a lot happier for doing so.  

Again, when you don't know the future, don't choose despair about anything.  None of know the future about anything.  There are many inspirational stories here.  Choose hope Smorat and see a MD for a script for Ativan or Xanax as your safety net to take you through the dark days.  Btw, I am not even a proponent of meds.  I take no meds.  But I know anxiety because my family is prone to it.  We are all ruled by our brain chemistry and again, nobody has the strength of will to order up good mental health in the face of adversity.  Sometimes we need a little help and a life saver it is.

Glad to read your thoughtful reflections. I'm seven days post-op. Had 5 impacted teeth removed. Was made aware this was a possibility but never thought it would happen.
Can't feel my jaw, chin, gums, teeth or lip on my lower left side---corner of my mouth down. Over the last two days, I've had sharp, hard-to-describe pains which is hard to understand since I seem to otherwise have no feeeling there.
My extraction sites are still aching, too, though not as much as before.
Sounds like this might be a long waiting game but I truly appreciate hearing others' accounts so I know I'm not alone in this.
Timeheals, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a beautiful and well thought out response. You are correct some days are better than others. Although it's only been a week I shift my attitude. Today was much better and hopeful for me. I try to think of it as yes this is horrible and will be horrible if it lasts such a long time or even forever BUT there are people with far worse conditions like cancer or other paralysis etc. who would kill to only have what we do. Actually, as I type this the TV is on in the background and I'm watching "K-9 Cops" and a girl just got shot while 7 and a half months pregnant!! It could always be wise. While this condition is life altering, it's not life threatening and I suppose that's what matters most. So for that I am grateful. That's the thing about anxiety, depression, etc is that you can be great one day and terrible the next. I do also have Xanax that I take on an as-needed basis. So that helps in my daily life although I've been taking it more in the past week lol but like you, I do not like to take meds unless absolutely necessary.  I am certainly starting to come to terms with this because even if it's not healed I know for sure that it can only get better from here! Hopefully.. Lol :)
You have the right perspective and each of us need reassurance when adversity knocks on our door which it will as part of life.  I can tell you so many stories including about the poor couple I saw maimed in a car accident when I was waiting in the waiting room to see my surgeon for a follow up.  The man sat next to me and the unthinkable happened to them out of nowhere.  I had my tooth removed in a hospital setting and even the smartest man probably in my state that puts people's faces back together after accidents and disease couldn't extract my tooth without a level of devastation to the nerve. So the blessing of my health that I had almost taken for granted was stripped from me.  For each of us, there is an inevitable grieving of lost health.  I still honestly grieve but try to focus on other incredible blessings in my life as I have been so fortunate.  Love gets us through the hard times Smorat...love of family, s/o and love of self.  Let others know your pain and anguish and lean on them.

Those prone to anxiety like you and me of course are further rocked when things don't go as we hope.  Meds are a literal life saver during these difficult times.  Free will is largely a myth. The subconscious is what each of truly believe and wins the day and steers the ship...us.  So unless we believe something in our core, our anxiety will be present and no amount of self determination or self talk can redirect this thinking.  Yes modeled behavior influences our anxiety level.  So important to surround yourself with reasonable and positive people if you can find them in this crazy world. :-)  
But as stated, now is the time to really exam your anxiety about all things.  Many good books on the subject btw.  What came first...modeled behavior around you determining your brain chemistry of anxiety or your natural predisposition to anxiety based upon your genetics?  Actually its both.  But through understanding, you can cope much better.  I have.  Even choice of careers makes a big difference.  Choose a career compatible with your personality type.  If you don't like public speaking for example, don't choose a job where you have to get up on stage all the time.  Some are born to do this and crave the lime light and some prefer to be behind the scenes.  Accept the way you are hard wired and love who you are and accept each of us are special in different ways.
With the right perspective, anxiety will fade.  But I will tell you.  I have always been on a path of enlightenment and self discovery as self improvement is who I am.  This rocked my world....the worse thing that has ever happened to me.  I couldn't talk myself out of my anxiety even with all of my life experience.  During these times, don't needlessly suffer.  Take a med to get you through the rough times and they will come.  With time you won't have to.
Please be sure to share your recovery with the forum here as each of us have learned from one another from those gracious enough to contribute their stories.  Each of us always get back much more than we give by helping others through their difficult days.
Take care.
Hey guys, been reading about all of your expiriences with the same thing I am feeling !! I am 16 days post surgery and my right lower lip chin gums and teeth are numb.. My teeth feel like they are being pushed together! And my Chin hurts most of the time .. I feel itchy on my chin, a burning sensation on my lips, and a tingly almost like a lightning on my chin too. Sorry I don't know how to describe it . But I'm sure you all know what I mean. The first week all I could do was cry day and night .. With the feeling that this was going to last forever. Luckily I found this site and it's giving me so much hope ..! Been reading TIMEHEALS60,STARBRITE.. And a few others I can't remember the names .. Haha but I do have one fear... That the one side is going to completely freeze and my lip is going to be uneven .. And I will not be able to talk.. I constantly talk to myself in the mirror to see how I look, I look normal. But I don't feel normal..;(
marghespos,
Hi.  The scourge of this injury is the burden we personally bear...the private pain of how we feel which is transparent to the world around us.  That is why this forum is so valuable.  You have come to a place to share how you feel and you will be completely understood.  Each of look normal but feel far from it.  If you follow the pattern of a so called typical invasive injury to the nerve which sounds like you are...you for the next few weeks will slowly emerge..emphasis on slow...with greater sensation which is typically interspersed with many weird sensations including electric pain, tingling, itching etc.  This is not for the feint of heart however should be looked upon as a positive step to the healing process. So do consider the changes you will be experiencing as disconcerting as they are to being a net positive.  But total numbness or pervasive numbness should be looked upon as almost normal for the reasons I wrote about in a few posts prior.
Also, important to note, your young age of 25 is a big factor to your recovery.  Your young body will rejuvenate itself quicker and more thoroughly than an older person based upon the medical literature.

Even though you feel like your mouth is frozen...my speech was badly impaired initially because of my pretty extreme nerve injury which involved my tongue as well by connection through the gums...motor function is unaffected by this injury. But...our motor function is affected in terms of the feedback we get from our  change in sensation which alters this feedback and so we don't move our mouth the same way and hence your concern which should slowly dissipate as you gain more sensation.  My speech after a long period of recovery and I am a long way from full recovery which btw in my case, I may not achieve...my speech is good now.  I love to talk as much as I like to write :-) and so this has been a big burden for me and when I speak I am reminded I have not recovered as I have altered sensation which affects my enunciation and so I have to concentrate a bit harder on speaking although nobody can tell but me.  Hopefully you will not experience this in your recovery.

Stay hopeful you will recover quickly.  I believe through this forum, much about this injury has been written including astounding accounts of long term recovery like one4love.  You are just starting your recovery so choose hopefulness you will recover quickly and  completely with time.  
Importantly however, if you are suffering with great anxiety, 'get help'.  See your MD for meds to get you through this dark period.  Don't needlessly suffer because this is in effect double suffering.  I wrote above about how anxiety is spiked for many if not most and some like myself go to a darker place than others.  Please get help if you feel this way because this injury alone is almost too much to bear and if you feel you are going off the rails, don't suffer further.
I received your PM and wanted to respond publically because sadly there are newly injured that come here and need affirmation about the future and what to expect.
You are just beginning your journey back to full health and stay positive and hopeful.
I hope above words help.
Timeheals60- thank you for
Your encouraging words, and
For taking the time to answer me. Yes my injiry was due to a wisdom tooth extraction that was done while I was awake.. He inserted novacane into my gums. And I'm not sure how much is the right amount, but I really think he put too much ... He put around 4 injections  in there ... But anyway, yes some days are better than others . Today I have a tingly feeling on my lip even if I stretch to smile or talk. Feels so weird .. Now my main concern is that my lip will become uneven ...does that happen to people with this type of nerve injury ? Worries me
So much !
Hi marghespos,
The unevenness you feel or observe is based upon the numbness and altered sensation.  Motor function should be unaffected but the feedback of your sensation likely alters the position of your lip on the side affected.  This should subside with time...but maybe weeks.
Let us know what your surgeon says about what happened.  Possible he did inject the nerve directly with the numbing needle which can injury the nerve.  A more likely scenario is he injured the nerve while extracting the tooth based upon the position of the tooth.  Tell us if the tooth was horizontally impacted and what your surgeon says when you have your follow up and more can be answered...that is if he tells you truth which he may hedge to protect to him from liability.  They basically have a similar mantra when these injuries occur but worthwhile to see what he says.
Good luck
Timeheals60- I have an appointment on January 4th with a different surgeon... Would not dare go back to him !!! I'm hoping all will turn out well for me. I'm scared I will never heal. But as I read posts from others the feelings of tingling burning and itching are good, and I do feel that, so I may be on the right path of healing and recovery ! I pray to god I am at least . I will keep you posted if I feel any changes ... Thank you for assuring me about the uneven lip. That's the only thing that really makes me crazy!
And yes my tooth was impacted, and my root was somewhat curved ..
And also, does the condition get worse normally ? Or usually stay the same/get better ?
For the vast majority...you start at total numbness if the nerve is damaged when the tooth is extracted...then the healing starts which results in more sensation.  For most if not all, everybody recovers to a substantial degree.  I haven't heard of anybody getting worse.  For those with a substantial nerve injury like me, recovery can be long and painful...some ok days and many with discomfort.  It really depends on the magnitude of injury to the nerve and a person's health.
Hope that helps.
Guess no one is on here any more :(
Hello, all. It's been a while since I have posted, but I promised to always check back here and report, so I try to come back every few months. It's been two years and four months since my wisdom tooth removal. The first few weeks were horrible, the first few months extremely difficult, mostly from fear that this condition would be permanent. I couldn't imagine having the paresthesia the rest of my life! I just wanted to offer some hope and let you all know that even though I haven't regained all of my normal sensations in my chin, it is a LOT better and before I got on here tonight, I don't think I even noticed the slight numbness at all today. And I feel confident that by next year, I will be even better. Even this past summer, my smile was just slightly crooked, but the family pictures we took this fall, no crooked smile! To me that tells me that even though I can't necessarily tell a difference from this past summer, my nerves are continuing to heal.  If you are going through this, you may feel completely discouraged that your life will never get back to normal, but I am here to say that it is possible, and I pray that will be the case for you all who are experiencing this as well. Have a blessed and Merry Christmas!
Hi Aprilchristine,
I sent you a private message with a question about your further recovery. Can I also ask about any residual tightness you feel?  Has this improved steadily over the last six months?  You mentioned slight numbness but do you still notice tightness when you move your mouth?
Many thanks and continued healing.
There is tightness still with movement which is probably my most lingering symptom. But I think it has loosened some, which is why I think my smile isn't a little different on one side anymore.
Hi aprilchristine!!
Just wanted to thank you for sharing your update and congratulate you on your progress:) I have a question . You said you had a crooked smile .. When did that start ? And did it get worse as time passed ?
I noticed from the beginning that my smile wasn't exactly symmetrical, meaning that if I smiled really big, one side of my lower lip was lower than the other. It never worsened as time passed. It seems to be resolved now.
My nephew had his wisdom teeth extracted recently.  His lower wisdom teeth were near the nerve.  He was still having problems with numbness and feeling of swelling 3-4 weeks out.  He was given a round of steroid and is feeling back to normal.  I hope this may help someone.  I think it helped him because it was given early enough.  It doesn't hurt to try.
Aprilchristine
Thank you for answering my question.. It's just so hard to know what to expect with this kind of thing bc everyone is different in the healing process.. Me, well I am 5 weeks post surgery and still numb, I am expiriencing what they call hypersensitivity and it ***** !! Well it doesn't hurt, it's just a weird feeling. My chin and lip are very tingly, itchy, crawly, burning, all that good stuff. My oral surgeon did testing and said I should recover 100% within 6 months. I guess only time will tell. I have the left side wisdom tooth coming in, he did X-ray and said it lays close to the nerve as well, so he is just going to take the crown out and leave the roots, and if they begin to give me problems in the future, then it will give the roots time to position away from the nerve and he'll extract . Then I have 2 upper wisdom teeth. They don't bother me, yet..... I'm not sure weather to take them out or not
I have just had a dental implant put in 8 days & had no idea of any of these side effects beforehand, had I known I would never have had this procedure. My dentist said he did not hit or damage the nerve but during the prodcedure I had a pinching feeling in my chin. I now do not ahve any feeling in my lower front jaw , chin & lip...I am not happy about this. He said it could take 6 to 8 moss for full recovery. Now I'm wondering if it will ever be the same way it was before the implant?
Frozen lip Canada
Is it in both sides?...or just one side?
Your dentist did something and he can deny it all he wants.

Two possible causes for your condition:
1. he drilled into the nerve when creating the fastening hole for the implant.
2. the threaded screw is sized too long for the implant relative to the position of the nerve and is therefore compressing the nerve.

Next Steps:
I will tell what I personally would do.
You need a CBCT scan to determine if your dentist did 1. and/or 2. above.

Not much you can do if he drilled into the nerve which sadly is much more common with this surgery than the public knows.

But...if the implant fastener is compressing the nerve the implant MUST be removed for any chance of the nerve recovering.

To ask him to perform a CBCT scan maybe beyond his scope...he may not have such a machine however many oral surgeons do in contrast to dentists who rely more heavily on xrays.  Call around to see who has a CBCT  machine and can assess 1. and 2 with the greatest clarity. This is tell you whether the implant much be removed and/or resized.

Best of luck.  Recovery with damage to the inferior alveolar nerve is largely about the magnitude of injury...how invasive the injury was and your health in terms of bodies' ability to heal itself.  You will not recover however if the implant is compressing the nerve and at this point, its hard to trust what your dentist says because he will try to protect himself from liability for injuring your nerve.  
Many here including me...my IAN was badly damaged and I am still trying to recover...we each  know what you are going through.  Keep in mind not a single person here...and there have been others injured in a dental chair having implants...ever expected this to happen.  None of us.  Coping moving forward as we try to recover is difficult but some do recover relatively quickly and others like myself hopefully will recover over several years. The IAN does regenerate on some level...sometimes back to 100% but no doctor can predict  magnitude of recovery or time frame.
Guys!! I lost this page and finally found it again. I wanted to update you guys. It has been 4 months today since my surgery and I am so happy to say that my lip and chin are about 90% back to normal! I don't even notice any lingering affects anymore unless I really think about it. It ***** in the beginning and everyone is different of course but you will heal!! I promise :)
im still in shock.
So great to hear Smorat.  Wonderful to learn you are feeling better and continued healing!  Thanks for sharing your progress with us.

Thing I have learned with all the information sharing on this board...certainly much more the dental or medical community can offer is...recovery is somewhat related to age...younger people tend to recover faster if not more completely...this even isn't an absolute, but the biggest underlying determinant of recovery seems to be magnitude of injury to the IAN.  This is the only thing I can surmise based upon the broad range of recovery and timelines those injured have proffered. If the IAN is somewhat severely injured or badly degraded short of severing due to tooth extraction or by other means...needle injection, implant drilling etc, then the road to recovery is longer and more difficult.  This is what happened unfortunately to me.  I am quite sure at this point my IAN was very badly stretched due to my tooth extraction which the surgeon told me was extremely difficult.  My road to recovery has been long and difficult and so far incomplete at approaching two years since my injury.  I will say for me, as short as a month or so back, I had some very difficult days.  But in recent days, my mouth has been feeling a bit better.  A long way from well, but better.  I can only hope that I continue to feel better as we all do.

Speaking of which a shout out to the collective here that may have one4love's email address.  I would like to contact her and see how she is doing.  Some here may recall her story. One4love's story is one of legend on this forum. She recovered on one side after 'ten years'...had numbness and discomfort and mostly numbness after five years and then after ten long years she woke up and discovered her mouth felt perfectly normal.  Of course this give all of us with long term injuries hope that we too will recover over time as we live our lives.  But then the unthinkable happened to one4love and she went in to have her opposite wisdom tooth extracted only to have the IAN on the other side injured and back to the same symptoms of discomfort and numbness on the other side.  Hopefully for her, her healing will be much faster this time...again depending on extent of injury which is unknowable by even the smartest doctors.

So I would sure like to contact one4love and see how she is doing and wish her well with the unbelievable odyssey she has undergone...a fate none of us could even imagine.  I sent her a private message on this forum a short while ago but apparently she has not been here in quite a while.

My best to all of you and thanks for your continued sharing.  Hope is what keeps us moving forward believing there are better days ahead.
Timeheals I believe you are absolutely correct about the age of the person. This goes for any type of injury or sickness I believe. I'm so sorry you are still in the healing process this long after your surgery. Do you think you are almost back to normal? I do believe if we have healed this much thus far, it's almost certain it will heal completely. So as you've said in the past, you must focus on that! Good luck to you all
Thanks for your sympathy Smorat...much appreciated.  We are all in this together but of course some heal quicker than others.  I think more than a little can be gleaned by the 'trajectory' of one's healing process.  Sounds like you have made great strides in a relatively quick period of time...in relative terms...nerves regenerate dreadfully slow.  So I believe your prospects in particular are quite positive for a full recovery.  By contrast, my slower than protracted recovery doesn't portend as favorably.  I believe there is a chance...likely a good chance I will have a permeant deficit which is reported in a very small percentage of injuries to the IAN.  This is based upon the apparent severity of the injury to my IAN and my age even though I am in outstanding health and an exercise nut.  My fate is unknowable...but at almost two years and not close to full recovery, I would say a chance I may have a deficit for the rest of my life with this.  Good news is...I can handle it moving forward because of the improvement I have realized which has been painfully slow.  This injury no longer disrupts my life like it did.  In the early days, I had difficulty even speaking as there was even nerve damage to my tongue which resolved about six months ago or so.  A month or so ago I had a pretty significant scare.  I regressed for a couple of weeks.  But since then, I have improved.  Seems to be the nature with this injury....progress with setbacks interspersed on a jagged path to recovery.  I am hopeful...only a hope...in a couple more years I will be at 90% or better recovered.  Meanwhile I have mended enough to get through my days and nights relatively unaffected now.  I have come so far from the depths of despair over this and why I try to participate here and candidly discuss this complex injury with those that encounter it.
Heal fast and I bet you will be pretty much all better inside of a year as is often reported.
Best Regards.
I found this form while looking for answers, I too had wisdom teeth extraction and was told about the risk, they told me I had a 5% - 10% chance this was going to happen .. actualy one Dr refused to remove them as he told me this might damage ur lips and chin and advised me to leave it alone.. I wish I listen to him ..any way I woke up with numbness in my right lip and chin and sore front teeth.. I can feel my lip and chin .. hotcold .. pain but it feels weird.. I ddnt see my dentist as they told me u dont need a follow up ..if u want come to the emergincy clinic for double the fees -_- ! any ways I was in paaaaain for almost a week and a half .. I had to take time out of work.. umm I am now almost 2 and half weeks after.. I feel better that the tightness losen a little or maybe I got use to it.. I feel fine if I dont talk or touch my face..but it gets annoying if I touch my face... although I ddnt go to my dentist after my sister is a neurologist , she did the tissue paper test and said that as long as I feel something am probbly going to heal it would just take time.. she suggusted some pills to help if am very irritated with the numbness but I dont want to so this is an option ppl can go to a neurologist  and ask for some madication.. I try to not be upset because of this and try to think positive.. thing of ppl who lost an arm or cant walk or got paralized and just know that time will heal us.. I will try to update as much as I can
am a 25 yr old female .. also I had some numbness in my nose from a nose job that heald fast .. although I suffered from weird uper lips stiffness " couldnt simle" that heald 80% after 10 months.. seems like every time someone pokes my face I get nerve damage :( no appadorul for me. !
Hjr123,
You’ve been through a lot in your young age with your nose job and now wisdom tooth extraction.
What I can tell you is by far, the early days are the most difficult.  If you feel panicky, consider taking an anti-anxiety med like xanax or ativan…but only if your doctor agrees of course through a prescription.  You will get better…more on a monthly basis than a daily basis…nerves heal dreadfully slow.
If you come up with a medication that works for reducing pain as prescribed by your neurologist relative, please share this information on the forum if you would.  So far many have struggled with neuropathic meds taking the sting out of pain due to this nerve injury….but medicine changes constantly and hopefully there will be things on the horizon to help those who continue to be injured based upon tooth extractions who come to this forum for support.
Good luck.  People on this forum know what you are going through.  Better days ahead and post with any concerns.
Hi everyone!  Hope you remember me. Sorry I have been away so long. It has been just over 3 years since my injury. I would love to say that I'm totally healed, but there is a residual feeling that is different than the normal side.
I don't think about it much, but just went to the dentist and it reminded me to come back and give you an update. I have no pain - on occasion I will feel a slight tightness or pinching. I would say it is centered on my lower eye tooth. I have no numbness, but the sensation is different than normal - hard to describe. If I press on the area it is more noticeable, it is there, but doesn't really bother me.
Hope you are all happy and healing. Wishing you the best and praying for your full recovery.  Xoxo
Hi!  I got an email saying there was a message from you, but I can't find it anywhere and the link they provided didn't work. Please let me know if you need anything. I hope you are doing well. :)
im in the same boat and in a panic
Hi blessed2bme52,
I received your private message and thanks so much for responding to my question.
So good to hear you continue to improve after 3 years now which gives each of us hope that we may share your path of recovery over time.

Thanks again for visiting this forum after so much time has elapsed from your injury.  This input is vital to those with long term injury to the nerve because likely the vast majority with this injury fall away from reporting any incremental progress because they personally have attained a high level of healing whereby this injury is no longer such a burden.

My personal thanks for your selfless reporting which is so important to add some clarity to those who desperately want to better understand their future by example.

Continued healing and be well blessed2beme...
Hi all
Not been on for a while, but just to say after 2 years since ian injury I am much better and don't think about it very often. Never thought I would be able to say this. Take care it does get better. Xx
Hi Everyone. I'm in the same boat as you all. I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a week ago and have numbness, tingling, pain, and more on the right side of my chin, lower lip, and gums / teeth. My smile is crooked now as well.

My question for you all is, how long does it take you to continue with your normalcy? For example, I find it difficult to brush my teeth because I can't feel the toothbrush on my teeth and gums. It's difficult to eat because I can barely feel the food in my mouth. Do you get used to that and work around it? Is it always frustrating to do formerly basic tasks? Will I regain enough cheek muscles to smile normally?
I suppose the best response is...resumption of normalcy is dependent on the magnitude of injury to your nerve, your age and health...latter influences your bodies' ability to heal itself.
So no roadmap for each of us as it turns out which makes recovery so unsettling.  Some will recover quickly and completely, and some like myself may never recovery fully...I am still have dysesthesia I have adjusted to after two years...however you will achieve enough recovery to get on with life with less upset over time.  You may achieve complete recovery in less than 6 months as well...so keep this hope until you have to move the goal posts over time.

Your question is the signature question everybody wants to know...and there isn't a doctor on the planet smart enough to answer it as it turns out based upon current technology.

So frustration to perform former tasks will lessen with time and honestly you won't need any workarounds over time...even those with pronounced injury like myself can resume life normally only with adjustment in sensation.

My advice which I try to live by is...always choose hope in replacement of fear when it comes to not knowing the future...a metaphor for life really.

Even though days directly ahead may be dark...or not...my early days were...you will come through this tunnel of uncertainty and be OK.  Please be assured of that.

Best to all.
PS: so great to learn you are feeling well Kazlilly.  Wonderful to hear and thanks for letting us know.
Hi everyone! Sorry that it's been awhile since I last updated but I "celebrated" 3 years this past February. I was reading what blessed2bme52 wrote on April 21 and it is almost exactly what I still am feeling!! To start with, I go through everyday barely thinking of my injury, that is until I purposely move my mouth around to check how much has healed. This is when I come to realize that although I've come a very long way, and have healed a tremendous amount, things still don't feel 100% right. Like blessed2bme52 said, it too is all centered on my lower canine tooth. Sometimes I feel like I wish I can have that tooth removed as it may relieve the pressure I still have. I am no longer really numb, but it feels different than the normal side. Even though the core numbness went away, I never fully regained back the feeling on my lip that causes tickles, and that is where the discrepancies between the two sides truly lie. It basically feels a little dead on the injured side, yet it detects any object on it and feels temperature, weird. I still haven't grasped how to really explain this, especially to someone who doesn't have this injury, but hopefully this makes sense to all here. I also want to mention that I still occasionally have bitten the inner gum on my injured side when I eat. Doesn't happen often but maybe once every 5 months or so. It's kinda cool that the pain is minimal when it turns into a canker sore (compared to how it would be hurting on my healthy side), but what I do notice is that when this happens, the area becomes tighter and bothers me to a greater extent. The minute the gum heals, the tightness wears off a bit and things go back to feeling more comfortable. Odd, but it happens each time. I'd love to hear if this happens to anyone else. All in all though, things are better and I do go through my life now without thinking much about what happened to me. However, I do wish I would have healed 100% now after 3 years and 3 months. I still have hope that maybe one day I will be back to feeling fully normal :) I hope everyone has enjoyed reading my posts and that they have helped you in your own recovery process. Please stay strong as things do get better! XOXO
Anybody still out here?
i feel like i am late to reach out for this site but i have been having lower lip tightness since almost 3 years and i still hope for possible alternatives for recovery
I just had the tooth Next to the lower left wisdom tooth extracted today... I had the one inside that tooth extracted back in April..  I still have the wisdom tooth... It stands alone!   They both were chipped playing rugby and finally became abcessed.  I have had numb feeling in my chin and lower lip since the first extraction.  thank god for this forum so at least I know other people have experienced what I am going through.   I describe it as "tiny dull explosions" when I poke my chin or lower lip..  
I have just read through all 852 answers. Such an awesome read for someone newly dealing with this! All of your insight and experience has been helpful. I am hoping I have lucked out as I  am two weeks post extraction  and already have feeling I'm my lip and most of my chin. I can feel hot and cold too. The skin on my chin and lip is still quite sensitive to the touch and I am still getting the tightness feeling and tingly pains, but am hoping  to to experience months of pain and slow progress that many have recounted!  you are all troopers. I look forward to hearing how you are all doing now!

Em x
That should say "hoping NOT t of experience the pain" lol I am not a massacist
I don't know if anyone still replies or even looks at this thing anymore but I just wanna say how I feel and talk about my experience. Two weeks ago today, I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out, the bottom left took the longest to heal out of the 4 and is the side that is still numb. A week ago, I went in for my post-op check-up and the doctor did some "tests", he got a cotton swab with a soft side and a sharp side and started rubbing them on the numb side from left to right and asked me if they were going from left to right or vice versa (all of this with my eyes closed to avoid cheating). I was generally accurate. I am 18 years old and am feeling itchy, tingly, and burning sensations from time to time, are those feelings good or bad? The doctor also said the nerve is intact which is a good sign but the nerve was just being pushed around during the surgery thus why it is still numb. What I am wondering is are those sensations good and if they are, are they signs that the nerve is trying to "wake-up" as they say.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
My dentist said tingling is a good sign.  
I just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a week ago and I still have numbness on the lower right side of my lip and chin. I began to worry and went up for a post-op visit to my dentist who wants to see me back in 6 weeks to check on it. All he said was that we knew there was a risk when taking out one of the wisdom teeth because it was so close to my nerve but the tooth had to come out. I am thinking positive and feel that with time it will come back or at least be less numb where it doesn't drive me crazy. It is annoying and the numbness almost hurts. I am praying for healing and contentment.
Hello I did wisdom teeth 2 days back by my d
low chance of injury during wisdom teeth extraction is a lie and all they care is how you help them pay their loan.
Mangoken,
It isn't really a lie in the grand scheme.  The vast majority of wisdom tooth extractions...thousands performed every day throughout the world do not result in nerve damage.  However when nerve damage does occur which does happen in spite of vigilance and I really believe dental practices are inferior to what standard they should be when the tooth is close to the inferior alveolar nerve, consequences can be life altering as was in my case.  I still struggle with intermittent pain, numbness and tightness 2 1/4 years post tooth extraction.  Further, therapies to provide relief are quite limited and have drawbacks.  The risk of injury is great for a very small subset of wisdom tooth extractions if unfortunate enough to have unfavorable anatomy in this regard.
For those interested, I believe most cause and effect is stated in the archives of this thread if patient enough to read back through.  What isn't addressed perhaps as substantively are what therapies are available.  I believe many if not most don't offer the kind of improvement those badly injured like myself would appreciate.  I will continue to research this as technology is moving target and hopefully improved therapies will become available.  I know for fact that 50 years from now, the science of pain management will be unrecognizable in comparison to today's primitive methods.  But we aren't living in the future sadly.
Continued healing to all.
Sorry you went through this.  5 impacted teeth is quite extraordinary.  Impossible to predict the future for each. I had a worse case tooth extraction over 2 years ago, I am still plagued with.  In fact, I just contacted the facial surgeon that removed it to determine any further pain management techniques.
You may resolve quickly as it turns out...or may resolve say 90% within a 1 year time frame.  Nerve damage and the body restoring itself is somewhat a lottery.  Nerves vary in amount of damage when a tooth is extracted and the bodies ability to restore itself varies among individuals as well.

To best understand the dynamic of this injury, best to read through the hundreds of posts provided by members here with their experience.  Doctors have few answers and no crystal ball, not only in terms of damage to a given nerve if the trunk of the nerve is intact, but what level of function will return.  For every positive recovery there is a person that wasn't so lucky.
I wish you and everybody here the highest quality of life.
PS: since you don't know your future, choose hope over fear is my best advice.
Hi i had all 4 of my.wisdom teeth removed almost 2 weeks ago ,I still have a numb area on the left side of my chin and lower left lip and.lower left teeth...I went for my post op.check up last week,surgeon did all the prick tests and I can feel it.slightly but feels weird ..he told Me it bruising on the nerve and that the feeling will come back within few weeks/months....It gets so.itchy feel like ant crawling and can't scratch because numb ...I'm so worried will this feeling.come back completely ??has anyone come back after ?
I had a molar extracted Wednesday, now my bottom front teeth,  bottom lip and chin are all numb and feel dead. When I told the surgeon, I was told it was on the form, that it may go away but could take a leg time, or met never go away. I had a feeling it was known already. I didn't read all the fine Print. I trusted completely. My bad! It's helpful reading this forum, Also depressing that can take years.  I am older than most on the forum, I will continue reporting and watching, reading. Thankful for the input and experiences
Hey Fridsygrl .. it will be ok ... keep reading here :)  the first weeks/month is the hardest after that i promise to God it gets easier
Hi folks! :)  Well it's been over 2 years now since my last bout with this wonderful injury and I can say just like the last time 'steady as she goes' :)

I see the question about age is coming up again and I can tell you it's not the truth.  The healing process depends on the injury and not age.  Nerves are so complex that blaming age seems a way you can't possibly be wrong, but the truth of the matter is 'no one knows'.

Look, the first few days of this thing are NUTS!!! You want your normal back.  You want to live life like you did before.  You want to remember what life was like kissing and not thinking about drooling. :)

So for round 2 I have moments when I can't control the drip that I didn't feel coming out.  I'm sorry that it's funny to me, but that took time.  At first it is SOOO NOT FUNNY. But after you learn to live with it.  This could be so much worse.

So yes, like timeheals said.  I recovered over 15 years later.  At the 10 year mark it felt like it was teeeny'est tiniest bit of numbness.  It was at the 15 or 16 year mark that i think I was like.. 'omg.. there is numbness nowhere'.  I took a feather and with the most gentle of gentle touches i let it touch my right chin up to the bottom of my lip and it felt the exact same as it did on the other non-injured side.

AND THEN! :) I went and had oral surgery on the other side and voila! Round 2! :)

The recovery for Round 2 was much faster out of the blocks, but then the healing slowed to a snails pace.  The thing is, it's still a pace.  Each day/week/hour/minute there are always changes.

I feel my chin and lip 24/7.  I am always touching it, sticking something into it to see if it feels different than the last day.  There are days when I feel no changes, but then there are others where I'm like 'oh cool.. that's back'. :)

You know what's super weird?  I'd lost the ability to come to this page, but when I started reading, my chin got all itchy and I could feel things firing off.  It was almost like my injured area nerve workers were cheering that the work they do all day every day was being recognized.  :)  Ok .. maybe there aren't workers in my mouth, but the feelings really did start happening.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!

I am telling you, this is not as bad as you think.  The first few weeks where you are biting your lip are horrible, but most all of us (no matter the damage level) feel the same the first few weeks.  Depression, 'why-me'dom, some pain, the flippin' tightness, biting the lip, etc. etc. etc.

Like I said I am now two years in to the 2nd round and I think it's helped having gone through this before.  As sick as it may sound to some I don't mind this post tightening part of the recovery.  There are advantages to having this happen.  Warmer food always gets tested on that side first is the biggest win. :)  Flossing on that side.. loves it!  

If I say more I'll just be repeating myself.  I will try to stay updated more (now that I rediscovered my bookmark).  :)

Have a blessed day everyone!!!

#onelove
Onelove,
Wonderful to hear from you and thanks for providing an update on round 2!
Could you do me a favor if you see this?  Could you send me a PM with your email address?  I would like to keep in contact with you to compare notes on your recovery.  I am at 2 years and 5 months on my wisdom tooth extraction which resulted in a consequential injury to my inferior alveolar nerve and I still have a long way to go with many challenging days of dysesthesia.

So, if you could drop me a quick PM with your email so we don't lose touch, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks for contributing such great perspective to this forum.

Be well,
Timeheals60

So, as unbelievable as it sounds, even if the numbness goes away the tight feeling in the lip ad chin remain. That might be too much for me to live the rest of my life with. THe tension in the lip and whole chin area is going to make me end up doing something stupid
I really just dont get it, my jaw was broken and thats how my IANnerve was damaged, Not a single one of the docs mentioned me having to face this tightness. IT was only about the numbness that they sad would 95% come back . WIthin 30 days almost all my numbness was gone but this life draining tightness remains unchanged.

Why are people not coming on here at least saying it loosened up for them with time...."timeheals".....with a screen name lime that pls tell me the nerve is g go ing to keep fighting and take some of this tight feeling away. AS quick as my nerve recovered from the numbness why would I be left with a life of this tightness, the docs said I only had a neuropraxia. ......im now 80 days into this mess and dont see how the nerve is going to stop doing this to me

Why does this happen, the nerve is healed pretty much....
Clintk,
80 days in honestly isn't much in terms of the nerve recovering.  Nerves regenerate beyond slow.  Many of us have a lot of tightness.  Not to discourage you, but I still do 2.5 years out from my tooth extraction.  I have close to worse case nerve damage and in fact recently have been diving back in to see what my options are to improve my quality of life.  Two things Clintk...damage within the nerve...jaw breakage/tooth extraction many times results in a 'stretch' injury to the nerve, compromising the interior carriers of communication called axons...and/or...'possible' external compression on the nerve 'if' the canal that surrounds your nerve...the IAN runs through the jaw...'if' it is being compressed externally.  Nerves don't like to be pushed on.  In fact, I am traveling to see my neurosurgeon later today for a CBCT scan to determine if my nerve is under compression.  If not, I will need to explore options to lower my pain which btw, may increase numbness...latter is why I have resisted further intervention to this point.
Many report tightness Clintk....a VERY common side effect to the nerve being injured over and above reduced sensation aka increased numbness.  If you continue to struggle, you need to get with a neurosurgeon and see what your options are.  You have a lot of company.  For peace of mind because putting a broken jaw back together maybe pressing on the nerve, consider a follow up CBCT scan to see if any part of the jaw nerve canal is pressing on the trunk of the nerve would be my advice.  Peace of mind.  If not, then you either wait for further recovery or discuss options to lower your tightness, understanding few really good options exist.
Best Regards.
But  I still just cant seem to grasp it, if the nerve has  95% healed then why this awful tightness.

So its just going to remain like this forever , heck I cant even picture how the nerve would fix this twisted tight feeling anyways.

I guess heres to a lifetime of uncomfortableness .

Just really having hard time grasping this, the nerve as it heals should correct the feeling in the lip and chin as well.
OR it should at least get better with time and loosen up ...... havet some ppl came on here and said it loosened up and movement felt more normal eventually as time passed

Thanks for answering  and let me know what your cone beam shows and find out as much info as possible on how effective the cone beam can see the nerve within the canal and relation to our injuries.
Hi there,

I had googled for the past few days and going mentally stress because of my wisdom tooth extraction. I am at my 8th day now post wisdom tooth extraction.

I had my lower right wisdom tooth extracted last week and was warned about paraesthesia as mine was near a nerve.  He did a CT scan and even assured me that he did not hurt the nerve during the extraction process.
On 3rd day after extraction, after my swelling went down, i experienced really tight pressure on my lower front chin and teeth. I have occasional pins and needles and pain radiating through out my lower right chin too.

I constantly felt pressure and throbbing pain on my lower right chin and it is really distracting but I couldn't do anything about it. I returned to my dentist for review on 6th day and he said that my wound healed completed. He explained that the pressure it could be due to the blood clot wrapping or sitting on the nerve and it could take weeks or months to go away.  He told me he had one patient who took 3 months for the blood clot to go away before she slowly gained back sensation.

I was given steriods for 7 days, Magnesium Hydroxide vitamin and asked to return 2 weeks later for review.

I really hope that the numb and pressure feeling can go away asap. I kept on feeling like i got punched in the face and swelled really bad, but i look normal on the outside :<

Cmon ppl , we need some success stories of the tight, tension feeling in lip and chin easing up with time.
A good time for an update. My inferior nerve was injured due to a lower rear side molar extraction 2.5 years ago.
There is a signature question asked on this forum all the time that is not evident in the medical literature nor can a clinician answer with any certainty and Clint just asked it again here.
The question is this:  Will I recover and to what level?  A basic question that I will give a basic answer to for all those that come here and wonder.  
If you think about wisdom tooth extraction, the reason for the protocols used today is, they widely work perfectly for easily 98-99% of the population.  The people that come here are not within that statistical distribution which is basically shaped like a bell curve.  The biggest consideration for injury is how close the tooth root is to the nerve.  That determines each of our fate.  1-2% of the human population has their wisdom tooth root very close to the nerve.  Many like me for example when this circumstance is presented to a dentist or oral surgeon, they forego pulling the tooth when young.  If a person is fortunate to grow older and has the tooth extracted later in life, they are at very high risk of damaging the nerve with very serious consequences which is what happened to me.
I just returned from the hospital where I had my tooth extracted 2.5 years ago.  I know a lot about this injury having spoken to many MD’s, PhD’s and neurosurgeons including a brilliant young doctor a couple of days ago who collaborated in my case with a team of experts.  I could write a book on this and probably should.
So question again is, “Will I recover?”. The answer is, “It depends”.  Not a very good answer which deserves some explanation. What does recovery depend upon?  Ans: How severe the injury to the nerve is.  You see, if you evaluate this injury from a statistical standpoint, each of us are extremely rare to be here.  Thousands of wisdom teeth are pulled at the dentist each day…many thousand will be extracted today for example with no consequence.  It gets more complicated when you consider the very small percentage of those injured (us) when it comes to who among us will recover?  Here is the good and bad news.  The good news is of this very small percentage injured like us, many will recover just fine with little or very little sensory disruption.  Now the bad news. A subset of those injured will not recover and may in fact live with chronic pain without an intervention of some nature and options for therapies are limited in fact in terms of relief.  The nerve cannot be repaired as it turns out.  It is like humpty dumpty who falls off the wall.  He can’t be put back together again, or at least on a level that creates normal function.  Sadly, in my case, a person that has blessed with extraordinary health for my long life, I have a worse case nerve injury and I will not recover from this.  Oh, maybe in 3-5 years as the nerve continues to regrow…periperhal nerves like the inferior alveolar nerve regrow throughout a lifetime…my symptoms may  lessen in terms of pain with time…or…may not.  I went to visit the hospital after an email exchange…the hospital is 200 miles away from my house…because I am not recovering.  My pain level is the same.  I have nerve pain and numbness after over two years.  I have a worse case injury to the nerve and the stark reality I have to live with.  My injury is among the rarest which btw comports with what a team of surgeons knew about me going into the hospital where I had my tooth extracted.  I had a worse case tooth to nerve relationship.
OK, how do each of you know how severe our injury is going to be?  The further enigmatic part of this saga is, you don’t and can’t be told by the smartest surgeons.  They don’t know and there are no tests for it. Oh, they can look at a CAT scan or radiograph, perform sensory tests like…Do you feel that? etc, but no doctor can predict with any certainty if  you will recover because they don’t know just how badly the nerve was damaged by removing the tooth.

In summary the question that gets asked here all the time like Clint just asked…will my tightness go away?  My answer Clint is…it depends.  It depends on how bad your nerve injury is.  Clint, my tightness has not resolved.  I have tightness everyday and my tightness escalates when I speak or eat. This likely will not change.  There is hope however for others.  Some will recover completely from their nerve injury.  Or some will recover like Starbrite to ‘almost’ a full degree with almost no sensory disturbance.  It all depends on the magnitude of injury to the nerve which is unknowable by modern science to determine.
Lastly, because of my worse case outcome to this injury which has caused me to invest so much of my time to learn about it and different options, at some point, I may come back here and discuss what limited options exist to reduce pain.

If anybody struggles with this injury after a long period of time, please contact me via private message and I will try to help.  I can share some therapeutic options that may improve the quality of your life as I have sought those answers.
My best to everybody here with this injury and hope above gives some perspective to a very difficult question commonly asked.

I am very very distressed and desperate, but glad that I found this forum. It is only three weeks since I got this horrible nerve damage after having two loose teeth extracted by a highly specialised dentist. The root of the one tooth (the third after where the wisdom tooth was) was left in the bone when he removed the tooth. So he had to use a drill to get the root out. Before he started I did ask him if there was any risk that he might damage a nerve. He said no. No risk. I then asked him if there was any risk at all. He said no, there is not. I asked, not because I knew of any risk myself, but because my mouth already was damaged for life from a devastating radiotherapy in my mouth and neck 15 years ago. And I knew that I could not live with further damage in my poor mouth. So - I was shocked when I three days later realized that something had gone wrong. I was totally numb in the left half of my lower lip and chin. Burning pain and tension in the area, and a feeling of bad swelling of lip and chin. Nothing has changed after three weeks now. I am 63, so I am terrified that this will be permanent with no improvement. I started to take extra vitamin B, and vitamin B12 plus Alfa Lipon. I read somewhere that it might help the damaged nerve to heal. I cannot know if it might help, of course. But I feel I just have to do something. Has any of you heard of this? Or anything else that might help?
I see that several of you still suffer from this even years after the tooth extraction. I am so sorry for you. I sincerely hope that you will get much better. The story about the woman who suddenly healed after ten years gives us all hope. Though I do hope of course that it will happen for all of us much sooner.
Polyfobe...
check your inbox on this site.  I am sending you a private message.
Hi I had my two bottom wisdom teeth out over a month ago now I was very swollen and bruised from it and then a week ago I got another infection causing my face to swell one side even bigger. I have nerve damage half of my tounge on my left side and on my right side my lowere lip chin and gums i get tingling and dragging feeling alot. I find it very irritating and it affects my day to day life I feel like i have gone from a smiley person to hiding away. The last few days if i rub my lower chin i get tingling in my lip? Has anyone else felt this ? Does anyone know if this is a good sign that my nerve is healing ? Sorry to hear so many of u have gone through this ita doing my head in arghhhhh x
Sometimes...not always tongue pain is associated with lingual nerve damage.  Chin and lip numbness is typically associated with the inferior alveolar nerve.  What I want you to know is both nerves will continue to regenerate 'throughout your lifetime'  Please read this forum in its entirety including what I wrote above about the unknowable future.  Nerve recovery depends on 'amount of injury' to the nerve.  This is pretty unknowable without doing the time to find out how much recovery you will gain.  If you want more information post more detail about your extractions...who did it...surgeon or dentist...what he/she said.  Go back to them and ask questions about tooth root to nerve position.  Address your infection foremost.  Stay positive.  Take meds for either anxiety and/or any nerve pain you experience.  With time your nerves will recover to some degree.
We have all been in your shoes and you will get your life back but it may take quite a period of time.
Take care.
I am not sure if I am pleased or saddened to have come by this forum. Its only been 4 days since I had a rear right molar (the furthest at the back) removed, which I am guessing is a wisdom tooth. After reading these very useful posts and knowing my own body I am pretty sure I am in for the long haul. No feeling in the lower right quarter of my face as well as bottom teeth feeling tight and pressured. Gutted!! But my Mum always said a problem shared is a problem halved. My fingers are crossed for everyone experiencing this depressing feeling however at the end of the day we are only experiencing loss of feeling to a small part of our very good working bodies. I guess my satisfaction is that one of the most depressing things I am dealing with is respectfully very minor in comparison to what else could go wrong in life. #stayblessed
JK...
The earliest days are by far the worst.  You will get your life back.  Yes, the earliest days can be devastating. Even if you have worse case which I learned I had and the nerve is badly injured you will survive and be ok.  Also I learned recently the nerve can be killed completely which btw is a procedure I am considering.  It is called Radio Frequency Ablation.  For anybody living with chronic face pain due to molar extraction, send me a PM and I will send you the document discussing this procedure.  What I learned recently, is complete numbness is better than a combination of reduced sensation + neuropathic pain.  I thought giving up feeling completely on the right, lower side of my mouth would be much worse than have some feeling due to a degraded nerve due to extraction + residual pain due to the nerve not regenerating to its original state.  I was wrong.  Complete numbness is much better. I recently had my right side numbed to test this thesis.  So each of us doesn't have to live with pain if that is what you end up with and there is a subset that will end up in pain like I have...although I believe that those who end up in pain due to worse case tooth extraction to be a 'very small' minority of those that are here looking for answers.

So this is a message of hope...
a. your nerve may regenerate to an acceptable level depending on amount of injury to the nerve and this is only knowable until doing the time...you will know in about 1 year or so...and,
b. If you end up in pain, you can have the nerve killed which will allow you to live your life undistracted as your brain will quickly adjust to lack of sensation.

Good luck to all...