Dental Health Community
NUMB CHIN AND LOWER LIP
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
370 Comments Post a Comment
Viewing 201-375 comments:
Blank
Hi everyone!

I'm at over 5 months now in healing and I have good news in that I am ALMOST completely healed :) Things are doing so well now, and most of the time, I barely think about it anymore. I do notice that when things get "tight" in the area for a day or so, which they still do, more feelings return the following day, so I take it that that's normal. My teeth have definitely loosed up so much in the past few weeks, although that's really the only thing that is still a bit bothersome to me as it's not entirely back to normal yet, but my chin and lip are practically all better. Just a little more ways to go...

I hope this calms everyone's nerves a bit. I was thinking my life was over a few months ago, but now I am back to the girl I was before the surgery, except a lot more appreciative now as I realized how scary life can become in an instant. I do still have a little more healing to go as I mentioned and honestly I think the day where I will not feel any residual abnormalities from this may take a few more months (I am guessing somewhere between 6-9.) I am at that point though where if god forbid I had to live like this, I think I could, although it's still not totally normal enough for me to want to, but you know what I mean right? :)

Hope everyone here is doing better. I will update again soon and I cannot wait to post that I am 100% all better with not a single tingle lol. I'd say I'm about 80% healed. My surgery was on February 21st.

Hugs to all of you!!!
Blank
Hi all :)  I am about 16 weeks post surgery now - I really thought I would be all healed by now, but I'm not :(  Things have changed in the last 3 or so weeks since I have updated.  I went through a period of were it felt like someone had snapped me with a rubber band - my mouth/lip had a constant stinging - bearable, but annoying.  Then, I felt like I had a fish hook in my lip and someone was always pulling on it :(  This week, it has subsided a bit, but it almost feels like I can't move my lip - which I can, it just feels like it is frozen in place.  Geez...this is getting old!

Anyway, I love to hear positive updates - so keep them coming!  And to all those new here - I am sorry you needed this forum, but welcome :)
Hang in there my friends - one day we won't need each other any more!
Peace to all :)  xoxxo
Blank
Hi I'm Victoria from England.
Ive just had the same happen to me 3 days ago and I'm terrified ill never get the feeling back in my lower lip and chin. My teeth feel so strange. Like there's something stuck between them making them really tight. My dentist was very heavy handed. Even down right rude to me and dismissing my concerns and cries out about feeling pain. He actually told me to "stop being silly you can't feel pain its pressure your feeling" How DARE he. I could FEEL pain. I finally grabbed his hand and said "STOP! I can feel pain PLEASE stop" He slammed his tools down onto a steel tray with a huff and shoved the needle into my gum so fast i didn't even have time to respond. Over here it's treatment by the NHS (national health service) But you pay for the dentist. Its not free. I feel totally hard done by. He lost his patience/cool with a scared, shaking like a leaf patient and messed up. This is what i feel anyway.

Even the nurse in the room with us holding my hand knew he was being a bit rough. My lips are bruised and i have a cut in the corner of my mouth from the constant pulling at my skin. I have stitches too as he had to dig deep to root out my tooth...I was really scared he was gonna tear my lip off from my gum You know, that little skin thing attached to your top lip going to your top gum.
Anyway...I went back today for a "wtf is happening to me?" session and they said anything up to 3 months for the feeling to come back.. I'm so scared. Its so sore. I'm laced with pain killers. They were very reluctant to give me any which is totally backwards!!! Ive just had surgery on my skull the least they can do is help me manage the excruciating pain.

Has anybody got any ideas as to what I should do next? Even considering suing the NHS and getting that doctor to apolagise to me!
Blank
I had three wisdom teeth removed on 7/25.  The OS told me upfront that I was going to have some numbness because the tooth on the bottom right side was very close to the nerve.  they told me it shouldn't be painful.  they lied.  i feel like i have been run over by a tractor trailer!  i went to work all week and just stayed to myself because i was in so much pain.  i have been coming home everyday and getting in the bed within a hour of getting home.  my bottom lip and chin constantly tingle and burn.  i have stopped the vicodin they gave me and started motrin.  i take two every four hours.  the motrin is helping with the swelling as i am still swollen from the surgery.  the OS said this is due to my roots being so deep on the right side.  the left side is sore, but not as badly as at the right.  my entire face is sore to touch and i am at my wits end!  the OS told me to take vitamin c.  i take vitamin c and b complex vitamins daily.  since this is only day eight, i can't really tell how much they are working.  my chin and lip are slightly swollen.  i hope that once the swelling goes down, some of the feeling will come back.  i will keep everyone updated.
Blank
I am sad to have to welcome two new members, but I am glad you found us.  This is a long and painful process, but I PROMISE you will feel better.  You are both in the worst of it right now and I know how scared you are, but things will get better in the next few weeks, so please just hang in there.  

The first week, I used a heating pad and that seemed to help a bit - but really, there is nothing you can do but give it time - I know how hard that is to hear for you right now, but it will subside and eventually get better.  Read through the earlier messages and you will see that we have all been where you are....and we all felt that maybe we would be the one person not to improve - but all of us have and you will too!

Blessings on you now as you go through this difficult time - you are not in this alone :)  Peace  xoxxo
Blank
4947042_tn?1365710131
hey everyone..its me, spunkerz again. just wanted to let you all know how ive been doing. im doing wonderful. it does take a while to heal in some cases but once you are healed, its like being reborn. everything is just great. no more numbness or sharp pains or tingling or teeth feeling like they are being squeezed!! im very happy to see that most of you are getting better day by day. pretty soon this will all be behind you. im having a wonderful summer. ive been to the water park, to the lake, and to the county fair. on aug 19, my family and I are going to carowinds water park in north Carolina. when I think about all the crap I went through this past late winter and spring, I want to just sock my dentist in the nose. what an uncaring unsympathetic ***!! but im healed now and im just gonna focus on living life to the fullest, and being with my family, friends, and pets...and if I ever get a toothache again, im just gonna have to bare with it. well, take care everyone and please keep us updated on ur progress. :)
Blank
Thank you for the inspiration ... Those of  us still in the midst of healing need to hear the good news! I am now at nearly six weeks. It seems as though everything is WORSE! I hope all the inner "activity" is a solid sign of progress. My lip feels fatter, the tingling is nearly constant and sometimes hurts, and the pressure is greater. Several people have suggested I seek additional medical treatment, but according to all of you, what I need is TIME ... And patience ;-(. We have a big trip planned for late October and I pray for nearly complete healing by that time - nearly five months after the tooth extraction. Please continue to share your good news of progress. i also appreciate hearing about the various stages of healing you each experience. It keeps me grounded and sane and hopeful!
Blank
Hi!  I want to report an improvement!!  I'm at 17 weeks and in the last 2 days there is a definite decrease in the overall weirdness of it all - I can't explain it exactly - it is still semi numb, but the stinging/burning is way better and overall I know it is healing.  This after 2 "worse" weeks.

So, funinsun - it may seem strange, but I swear I always go through a rough patch before I notice a significant improvement - I can't explain it, but it seems to be that way for me - I hope it is that way for you too, since you mentioned it is worst right now.  If you read through other peoples comments, it seems to work this way for some of us.

I understand your concern about your vacation - I actually had my daughter's wedding 2 weeks ago and I remember being so concerned that I was not going to be healed.  Well, I wasn't, but I didn't let it spoil it for me - I can tell in some of the pictures that I am holding my mouth funny, but I really don't think anyone else noticed.  And all of the excitement kept my mind off it and that always helps.  I also have a trip planned mid-September and I will just make the best of it.

All I can say is that nothing we do will change the slow process of healing - I think I am slower than most because I am 53 - the young will heal quicker.  It is a good thing I have learned to be patient - maybe that is what lesson I have learned from this ordeal.  There are so many worse things in life - I have friends with cancer, friends who have lost children - I can live with this stupid mouth issue - and I thank God for my wonderful life.  :)

Peace to all.  xoxxo
Blank
I'm so glad I found this forum, although my case is somewhat different. I had a chin implant when I was a teenager (I had low esteem and somehow got the notion it would help) and all was fine for 17 years - I just got on with life. Then a couple of years ago I started to get lower lip burning, numbness, tightness, tingles, itchiness sensations along my chi and lower lip. I lived with it for over a year before I decided to have the implant removed. For a year after that everything was good again - just as normal. Then 1o days ago the same sensations came back, and have been on and off each day. Right now I can feel the burning across my lip, and a dull ache in my chin. My surgeon doesnt understand it, as she didnt go anywhere near the mental nerves either side of the chin. I cant fathom it, and I dont know what to do now. There are no answers. Maybe it will go away, but it didnt go away for that 1-1/2 years before the removal of the implant. Oddly sensations go away when I chew gum or eat, but not when I talk. I am going to Germany on a scholarship next week, and its suppoed to be a reat opportunity and a life changing time. Instead all I can think of is how to get through it without people thinking Im weird or anti-social. A lot of the experiences have struck a chrd with me - I have the same sensations, same feelings of despair, and also the same thoughts about how life was so great before all this, and how much more appreciative I would be if it all went away!
Blank
hi! im so happy i found this place to talk about this! im completely going crazyy its ben almost 7 days and my bottom lip is numb and my chin aswell this is really scary.... i feel the same i feel no progress do you guys know if this is going to like continue? i dont want to be numb i cant even smile or talk! as well! i feel awfull! is anyone doing anything  that is helping them with the numbness i need help asap :'(
Blank
Hi all and welcome chordy and kika - sorry you have the need for this forum.
Chordy - I am not sure why you are experiencing these issues, but it does sound like a nerve issue.  I can only wonder if somehow the nerve was damaged or something is pressing on it - I would get another opinion.  I am sorry you are dealing with this, but try and remember that you can still enjoy life - I was in Germany last year and I totally loved it - the people are great and it was a beautiful country - but try and stay positive - I know it can be hard, but life has ups and downs and sometimes we just have to go with the flow.

Kika - try and be patient - time will heal you - nothing else will change it - I'm sorry you are suffering - we have all been there.  

I am just over 4 months since surgery - I still have tightness and a  mild tingling and cramped feeling in my lip - soooo much better than it was - Peace to all my internet friends :)   xoxo
Blank
I just had surgery yesterday and now my chin and lower lip are numb. I had no idea this could be a result and now I don't know what to do with myself. I'm only 22 years old. This sucksssssssss!
Blank
hi everyone!  i'm back with an update.  i went back to the OS on 8/12 and was told that everything is healing fine.  she did tell me that the burning and tingling sensation are very good signs.  she said (just as everyone else has said) that it may take up to three or four months for my mouth to completely feel normal again.  i'm glad everyone else is doing better!  please keep us updated.
Blank
That is great. For me, it has been a process, but I getting better. The last two day I had burning in my lip, tightness, numbness, tingles, and dull pains at the incision site. This morning I woke up only to numbness and tingles only when I touch my face. Also, I can feel my hand rubbing across the areas. I wanted to test my feeling so I got ice. Certain spots I can feel the coldness; others, I can't, but the ice hurt. So, there is improvement. Last night I has the strangest thing happen. The tingles were shooting over on my right side. I don't have it today. Another thing yesterday, when I play with my chin and lip, it would send weird feeling under my left eye and create mild little stars. Everything was really tight yesterday. No stars today. Nor do I have pressure from my jaw to ear. But, through this ordeal, I've had a number of symptoms: right side would have slight effects, light headed at times, upper lip slightly tightened, ear ache.  The best thing is I see improvement. So, lets keep the faith. By the way, my left side is thr trouble side just to be clear.
Blank
It has been three weeks since my 17 year old daughter had 4 wisdom teeth extracted.  Ever since her chin, lower lip and gum are all numbed.  She had tingling/crawling feelings from the beginning but now they have subsided and almost gone although her numbness has not improved.  I wanted to ask you when you started feeling improvements and also if it is normal for the tingling sensation to go away. Her oral surgeon is very unhelpful and I have been trying to find a new dentist.  She is only 17 and this cannot happen to her.  I am surprised to see so many people are having this problem although I was told this is a rare occurrence.  Thanks for your help.
Blank
Hi Everyone thanks for the hope after reading all your stories.  I thought this may be permanent as the same thing has happened to my father over a year ago and he has been told there is damage to the nerve. It has only been 5 days since getting my back molar removed and have the numbing feeling in the chin,lip, teeth and gum area can only hope for improvement now then ,going to think positive from now on thank you for the positive thoughts. ( was a different dentist also just unlucky 2 of us have got it)
Blank
Hi there! So sorry your daughter is going through this, and at such a young age. I guess when they say this doesn't really happen to anyone in their teens, they are wrong. I'm 31, but got my wisdom teeth out at 30, 3 weeks before my 31st birthday, and they all told me I should have done it as a teen. May not have even mattered! I do hope she feels better soon. Anyway, I am going to be very honest with you in terms of what I felt for months and months...tingling galore, plus itchiness (that at the time I could not scratch, now I can)...they felt like spiders crawling all along the side of my chin, burning (mostly early on though), and cold flashes, which I still get from time to time. From what I can recall, I started feeling my very first big improvement at 4 weeks. The first month was HELL for me, but when I reached that 4th week, a major turning point happened and I regained some feelings (minor, but enough at that time) and I felt a lot calmer mentally, almost like I felt things would eventually be okay. Then from there on things have just gotten better, very very very slowly though. It's like watching a snail crawl. I know that at between 4-5 months, I regained back my taste. Yup, I lost my taste too on this, but it's been back for a bit now and I am sooo thankful. I just hit 6 months this past Wednesday and I am going through a whole new phase now in terms of feeling. I dunno what to even say to what I'm feeling now, but I am trying to stay optimistic. The area is no longer numb at all, and basically I just feel some tightness still lingering, but it's different than before. Very hard to explain but it's better in a weird way. And right as I write this, I feel an itch in that area like it's still trying to heal up, but I can scratch it now to make it go away :) That took months, but I think it was around 3-4 months when I started to be able to feel my fingernails there. I also had a big turning point in terms of feeling at about 5 months. Believe me when I say your daughter will get better eventually and her young age of 17 should help in terms of healing, but know that it is a very long process and one that I still don't know will ever correct itself fully. I do know that I have only improved, not stayed the same or gotten worse, so I think there is hope for us all. Feel free to ask any other questions :) Take care and just be there for your daughter during this difficult time. Know that she is not for one second exaggerating the pain or frustration.
Blank
Oh and regarding the tingling sensation to go away, I am sure everyone goes through that differently, so I'm not quite sure what's normal or abnormal. I still have tingles now, but mainly only when I touch my chin. I don't believe for me that it ever went away completely in the early stages, but there were definitely days that it quieted down and wasn't as strong. What I have noticed is that on days I feel super tingly or it gets very tight (like the last few days actually), I then regain more feeling a few days later. Then it stays calm for a bit, and starts back up when it feels like it. That nerve sure has a mind of it's own and it's super lazy haha. I'm sure your daughter will feel tingles again soon! When she touches her chin does she feel tingling or hypersensitivity? For me the hypersensitivity was there between 2-3 months. It was so sensitive to the touch. Your daughter is still only 3 weeks out. Very very early on.
Blank
Thank you so much for such a detailed and encouraging reply.  I am truly touched.  Yes one of the oral surgeons (we saw three already!) was surprised to see a 17 year old was having this issue especially on both right and left sides.  She had strong tinglings and crawing feelings from the beginning. But they subsided about a week ago. The hardest thing for her is not being able to play her favorite trumpet.  She is now thinking about quitting it.  I was so upset with the oral surgeon and contacted a medical malpractice lawyer to ask for some advice.  He recommended us to see an oral surgeon who is rated the best in the state.  This OS basically concluded that it is too early to say the extent of damage as you said.  He told us that we need to give three months before he could even think of the next step.  The speed of recovery varies significantly for different people. He gave us an instruction sheet with chin stimulation exercises.  He said vitamines and other medications are not statistically proven to be effective.
Have you done anything special to help your recovery?  I admire your strength and your wililngness to help other people in the same situation while you were still trying to recover.  Thank you again and I pray for your full recovery.
Blank
I literally want to cry for your daughter right now. I have had such a tough time with just my right side having to go through this, I cannot even imagine having it be on both sides. Poor thing :( Did she by any chance have a CT scan before the surgery to see where the nerves lay? My guess is that she will start feeling the tingles again soon. I don't believe they would just be there for a bit, then subside and never come back. I was told by 3 specialists during the early stages that things don't just stop healing in this process. Peripheral nerves heal, and as long as her oral surgeon doesn't feel he severed the nerves, they should heal up. I started taking B12 lingually for about 3 weeks the first month and then stopped. It was causing an allergic reaction under my tongue and honestly, I have been healing without it. Lots of foods have it in them as well and maybe it's dumb because it's probably all sugar, but I've been drinking Vitamin Water (Dragonfruit flavor cuz it's high in Vitamin B). But believe me, the body heals itself with or without the extra vitamins. I told myself that when I started to heal, I would help others in this situation. I am probably at about 75%-80% healed but I know what it's like to be so scared in this situation (I still am!) so feel free to ask me anything, Hope your daughter will read this and feel a bit better :)
Blank
Thank you very much for your reply.  My daughter read your comments as well.  No we did not have CT scan to see where her nerves layed.  I requested the new surgeon for an MRI but was told it would not necessarily show a definite sign.  As you said, the body would have to heal on its own.  We just need to be patient and take it day by day.  Fortunately, she is a lot stronger than me and has been coping with it very well.  Thanks again and I will post her progress again.
Blank
Hi all :)  Four and a half months since my surgery....still numb and light tingling in my lip...teeth are still semi-numb and tight. StarBrite I can't believe you have cold flashes too!  They are so weird!  They mostly happen when I am drinking something warm like tea, and it feels like a slushy is dripping down my chin...so strange..lol   Overall, I am just carring on with my life - I look forward to the day that this is gone, but I am just enjoying every minute I can.  

Just as a side note to new people - I never had the weird crawly feeling - I don't know if that is good or bad, but at least I didn't have to deal with that - I do also think the younger you are the faster your nerves will regenerate - hang in there...with time it gets way better.

Peace my friends!  xoxo
Blank
This *****, does anyone think this could be trigeminal neuralgia? Numbness on the chin and lip pain?
Blank
Hi everyone. I had a wisdom tooth removed 12 days ago. I have numbness in my lower right chin and lip. I also was unable to open my mouth much at all for the first 19 days, but I finally can now. At first, I was completely numb, then a few days later, I started feeling a lot of tingling. I can tell when something touches my chin, though it is not normal. But now the tingling has slowed down. I have a bubbling feeling a lot in my chin. I am noticing the numbness less, but I am not sure if that is because I am just getting used to it, or if it is getting less severe. The first week I was overwhelmed with fear that this will be permanent. But also worried because we are traveling to Africa in two weeks, and I didn't want this to still be an issue on our trip. It looks as if I may have to deal with the numbness though, and I am coming to accept that, though I still am hoping for a more rapid recovery. I am trying to keep a good perspective and realize that things could be so much worse. I am really learning to be patient and trust God with this.

Sorry to everyone going through this. I will let you know how my progress goes. Maybe it will be helpful to someone else.
Blank
A typo in my last comment. I couldn't open my mouth for 9 days, not 19.
Blank
I am so sorry to hear that you have already been waiting for over 4 months.  I was told by a well reputed oral surgeon that the recovery speed varies so much.  He drew a graph to show different patterns of recovery speed.  But If you have tinglings and cold flashes, I believe your body is on its way of recovery.  Thanks for the positive message.  I pray for your recovery as well.
Blank
I'm so curious, what were the patterns that he drew?
Blank
It is difficult to describe in writing but basically one pattern shows a rather upwards progress in the timeline, another one, a gradual upward movement and the last one improves at the beginning but remains flat for a long time. That is why he said we have to wait three months before considering the next step.  My daughter had strong tinglings at the beginning but they subsided a couple of weeks ago.  She has not been seeing much improvement ever since.  We are hopeful that in three months we would be able to see some change.  This is her 5th week since her surgery.  Let me know if you have any other questions!
Blank
Hi everyone! I thought I would write an update since it has been so so long...I do appologize! I have been very busy with work and as much as I dont want to get used to this feeling you just cant help it and you do. You start to feel like this is how you felt all along because so many months go by ( I am at 5 months and a week tomorrow) The first month was the worst for sure for pain wise as the days, weeks and months go by it is mostly annoyance just tightness and and a cold feeling on my chin and just a strange feeling that you compare to your other side and know its not normal one thing I do want to say to Usagi3841 is I am so so sorry for your daughter especially having this on both sides I am deeply saddnened for her I really hope she doesnt have a lot of pain :( like Starbrite was saying the surgeons usually say this is more likely to happen to adults 25 or older ( I am 25) I thought to myself if I was only 24 lol just kidding but I try to still have a sense of humour with this all...I guess your age really doesnt matter but I am concerned that your daughter didnt have the best surgeon like both sides!! Come on!!!! I would be sueing thats ridiculous...and the amount of time it lasts...so insane! Anyway, so I would say I am 80% healed if I had to rate it like that because Im not numb anymore just weird feelings now and a tiny bit of tightness on my gums. Let me tell you though this has been a nightmare to deal with especially when I had very little support (aside from Starbrite) she has been wonderful throughout this and she knows what Im going through but noone else asks how Im doing because on the outside you dont look sick, your not "acting" sick so you must not "be" sick or have pain but they just dont understand. This forum has been an amazing guide and help to so many I just feel sad when so many more people join with this issue it shouldnt be happening. If so many wisdom teeth surgeries can get done without complications why should others be different! TAKE YOUR TIME and do it RIGHT! sheesh Take care all until next time..
Blank
Hi sarahnumb92.  Is your name Sarah?  My daughter's name is Sara without an h.  Thank you for the comment.  Her dentist referred her to this oral surgeon.  I checked his reviews and did not see any problem.  But as you said, it is extremely rare to have both sides damaged (my friend who worked at ER for 16 years have never seen anybody with this damage on both sides).  Does anybody here have a damage on both sides?  So I believe he made a mistake at least on one side.  Such a bad luck... I talked to two attorneys and was told by both that a medical letigation is so expensive and normally exceeds the amount of compensation you can expect.  So we will not be able to file a lawsuit against him.  But I will write a review on multiple websites to make sure he is rated properly.  You are still young as well.  Hope you will recover in full very soon.
Blank
Just updating my progress. Most of my pain is gone and I can open my mouth again. But the numbness is still there making eating a chore, and sometimes talking takes more effort than I feel like it should. There is not a lot of tingling anymore, just some bubbling feelings and numbness. I am able to forget about the numbness if I am not currently talking or eating for the most part. Just feeling a bit down that I haven't seen much progress. Hopefully, I will have better news to report next time.
Blank
One other good thing to report. Last week I remember telling someone that it felt like splinters were poking me between my front teeth constantly. I just realized that that feeling is gone. So....progress?!
Blank
I just got mine out over a week ago and its just half of mi bottom lip and chin and cheek is still swollen and hurts every once in a while. And i have this really baf taste in mi mouth and it only started like a couple days ago.
Blank
Tomorrow will be three weeks since my wisdom tooth removal. My pain is pretty much gone, but the numbness remains. I started noticing that the tingling and bubbling sensations were less, but I don't think that is a good thing. I am now trying essential oils from Young Living essential oils to see if they will help. When I put the oils on my jaw and a bit in the back of my mouth, I notice that my chin begins tingling a lot more. Since I have heard that tingling is a sign of healing, I am hoping this is a good sign. I leave for Africa in one week! Hopefully I will at least be able to notice some significant improvement before we leave to keep my hopes up for a full recovery! :)
Blank
I am now at almost 10 weeks. Although I still have the feeling "like a fish hook" (as some described it in a previous post), I have much tingling. Rubbing my fingers lightly across the outside of the area creates much sensation (sometimes even painful) inside the lips and chin. I am SO READY for it to all be over!! I read and re-read the posts in this site for clues and reassurance. I still can only eat small bites and chew very slowly. My doctor told me to take a daily B-complex vitamin. I have been wondering about massage or accupuncture - any thoughts? I feel so badly for all of us on this site. Please continue to post your progress, and tips, or frustrations.
Blank
Yesterday, I drew a line on my chin where the numbness begins and took a picture of it. Today, when I woke up, I checked again, and I am not completely confident, but it does seem that the line of numbness may have moved very slightly making the area a tiny bit smaller.

I'm sorry Funinsun1 for your troubles. I am also taking a liquid vitamin b12. It is so easy to get discouraged. I do well for about two days, and then the third day is really hard and depressing when I haven't seen much progress.
Blank
I'm in month 6 and I feel worse than month 4. At month 4 I didn't have much tingling and I could work all day without thinking about my numbness and problem. But now it's just worse and it burns like hell.

I haven't been here for a while, but it's not because I'm healed. Just wanted to update. Take care guys.
Blank
Hello! Yes my name is Sarah. My dentist also referred me to my surgeon and he is "apparently" the best in my town (there are only a couple oral surgeons where I live) One was off on leave and the other you had to wait a year before a consult...I waited a year and thankfully my wisdom teeth werent bothering me but my dentist was concerned that they would wreck my teeth in front if they continued to come out and push everything forward as I dont have enough room in my mouth..I finally got benefits last year so I figured I would get them out while I had the coverage (I still had to pay $860 out of pocket which is not fun) Especially after having nerve damage...I was so upset with my surgeon but I did sign a contract saying I was aware of the possible consequences..Its funny because a couple weeks before my surgery I saw this older lady not old but in her 40s and she was telling me not to worry he is the best surgeon my surgery went very well there were no problems and here Im thinking wow this will be a breeze I mean she is older than me and she was fine I should be too. So I go in and its the opposite (although my surgery went well I didnt feel any pain when I woke up) it was after the freezing wore off well only one side wore off (Your poor daughter both sides didnt) such a sad thing and really bad luck for both sides but some people do heal quickly though like if the nerve wasnt bruised too much it could take a couple weeks to a month but I guess it lingers longer if your older or the severity of the damage..My surgeon said he didnt hit any nerves they are just bruised from pulling it out of the socket but then again when I went in he said he was surprised that it was my left side because he had more trouble pulling out my right wisdom tooth. (bottom ones are always tougher to pull out) I got all 4 out at once..I was debating on if I wanted to get two out this year and two out next year (for pain and finance reasons) but then my bf convinced me to get all 4 out because you dont want to go through it again but who knows if I would of got nerve damage but then again what if I got nerve damage the first time I wouldnt ever want to go again and risk it another time so I guess I made the right decision. Thats really unfortunate that you cant go to court for this either :( Did your daughter sign a contract stating you could get temporary or permanent parathesia? Thank you for your well wishes...I hope your daughter heals as soon as possible! It is a long process but it is very rare to have permanent nerve damage so I have a great feeling she will heal in full as well! Take care :)
Blank
i'm sorry to hear that you are in pain...i hope you are feeling better now!
Blank
sorry to hear that you are still going through this...have you tried b complex or motrin?  i take b complex and at least 4 or 6 motrin for pain daily...i am still numb as well :(
Blank
today marks the six week anniversary of no feeling in my bottom lip and chin area :(...i still take vitamin c and b complex vitamins daily...i had a few weeks of no pain at all.  all of a sudden over the weekend and all of this week, i have had constant burning, itching, tingling, headaches, getting hot and cold spells and discomfort...i hope it's a sign of getting better.  i also use gel or moist heating pads depending on which one I get to first lol.  both of the heating pads work about the same.  the OS said heat was good, so i am going to continue that regimen and hope these sensations go away sooner rather than later.  i have gone so long without feeling; it's hard to remember what having feeling "feels" like...

wishing everyone a speedy recovery!
Blank
Well.  It is funny because I saw a lady whose daughter was about to have her wisdom teeth extracted telling me that our oral surgeon was wonderful also.  Her oldest daughter had her wisdom teeth removed not too long ago.  It has been 5 weeks so far since the surgery and she is still not seeing much recovery.  She cried today because she bit her lower lip so hard due to lack of sensation and bled so much.  I just had an appointment with a medical malpractice lawyer who is specialized in dental cases and who handled 1000s cases including paresthesia caused by wisdom teeth surgery.  Yes I found THE LAWYER! He knew my daughter's oral surgeon because he handled cases against him with one still pending!!  I wish I knew.  Does anyone know why we cannot find out about this online?  He also indicated that the tooth that was close to the nerve on x-ray should not have been taken out as it was not bothering her.  I told him that the surgeon told us to have it taken out ASAP to avoid potential infection.  He said he never head such a thing.  Also by having both sides damaged, he said it was definitely the technique issue. I had to pay $350 for consultation but it was worth it.  He said absense of pain is a good sign. Also the oral surgeon he recommended has successfully repaired a lot of damaged inferior alveolar nerves.  I hope my daughter never needs to have a surgery.  But with a persistent nerve damage, it is still not the end of the world.  Most people can get better!  I learned that we should not just do what dentists tell us to do without thoroughly understanding the reason.
Blank
Yesterday marked 6 1/2 months for me and I've been having a rough couple of days. It is so tight and tingly again, although I do seem to go through this every few weeks for a couple days and then boom, more feeling returns. It's becoming a ritual now, but it still freaks me out as to why I am not fully recovered yet. This nerve takes forever and a day to heal and I am so so so sick of this! I also bit my inner lip the other day (something I hadn't done in awhile) which of course led to a canker sore that was swollen and sticking out. Then today during lunch, bite, bite, bite! That's right! 3x I bit down on it again in the exact same spot :( Bleeding of course. Scary thing still is that the pain is minimal. I am prone to cankers and the ones I get in the "bad area" still only bring mild pain even after all these months. Good because they hurt like hell, but not so good in terms of not being able to feel full on pain yet from them. Sighhhh. I really don't know what to do anymore. The tingles I feel when I touch my chin are very strong and the area is still tight. Yes it has loosened a lot over the long months, but it's not normal yet in the least. I really am beginning to wonder if anyone does indeed heal 10000% from this. I feel so sorry for myself and all of us here. This really is such a horrible thing to go through and unless you have gone through it, no one understands! Barely anyone asks me how I'm doing at this stage and even my close family and friends can't listen to my "complaints" any longer.
Blank
YIKES ... I have been deluding myself that I would heal in 4 months, in time for our big cruise. It is 10 weeks today.  Not only do we experience the ongoing tightness, tingling, and often pain, but our friends/family don't really understand all of that because it doesn't show on the outside! I haven't told many people because it's a "long story" and when I do tell it, thay all blow it off cuz nothing is evident on the outside of my mouth. (Although I feel like I am talking with a giant fat lip!) This past week I have been experiencing the cold feeling like a slushy is dripping down my chin - that is really wierd! I find myself wiping my lips and chin with a napkin and nothing is there. Who would ever have guessed we would all come together from around the world with this horrible medical issue? It is not life threatening, but certainly is life changing! Thanks for sharing - I appreciate all the information, signs of recovery, and gamut of emotions!
Blank
Hi all :)  It is just a few days to my 5 month anniversary of my oral surgery.  Today is a good day :)  No pain - just tightness and a warm feeling and mild tingling.  This healing is definitely not linear!  

Starbrite I am sorry that you are still not 100% - this is so frustrating!
Funinsun - you seem to be a couple weeks behind me in healing - funny that you have the same symptoms as me - I don't know how many times I wiped my face thinking something was running down my chin, only to realize I had imagined it!

Curtiscraig - it is good to hear from you - I wish it was for you to say you were feeling better.  We KNOW that we usually feel worse before a big improvement, so hang in there :)

To all those new people - I know this is hard, but you will get used to it - that is a hard thing to hear, but keep things in prespective - you can still do most of the things you have always done - thank God for that and move on - nerves heal slowly, but they do heal.  This is not terminal, you do not have cancer, you do not have to live life in a wheel chair, you have not lost a loved one - you can get through this!  We can get through this :)

Love and peace to all :)  xoxxo
Blank
This was a nice post and it is true that what we are going through isn't terminal, thank god. Just a huge inconvenience!

What you said to Curtiscraig is exactly what I was saying in my earlier post. I go through worse feelings before a big improvement. So like yesterday and this morning was bad, but then right now it loosened a bit and feels better. Such a strange healing process and even though I get how it works, I still feel scared when things go backward instead of forward.

Oh and you don't know how many times I too felt something was running down my chin and then nothing was there, so crazy. That feeling ended a little while ago and I am no longer really numb so I feel things when they are really there now, which is great. However, even though it's not numb, it's still not normal feeling and extremely difficult to explain to others who have not endured this. Reading everyone's posts here really helps though.

I do hope you all have a blessed and beautiful weekend!!! :)
Blank
Wow so I guess the oral surgeon that your daughter seen has done this many times? Its crazy how many different doctors will tell you one thing and someone else will tell you another like which is it? My surgeon did say that it could cause infection if I were to leave them too but also that I dont have enough room in my mouth. I do believe pain and tingling any type of sensation is a good thing that means the nerves are slowly healing. If you were to feel nothing but complete numbness for months after than I would be concerned...On average it could take up to a year to heal so sometimes we think 6 months is so long and were not completely healed well it may just take a year to heal...Our bodies sometimes arent prepared for so much trauma to occur I guess and I have never experienced surgery before so maybe thats why it is taking longer to heal. Funinthesun I felt that cold wet feeling on my chin when nothing was there for a while and I tried to wipe it off but as you know nothings there its a very weird feeling it was mostly when I drank liquids it was like I had no chin it just went right through...a lot of my tightness has subsided thankfully but there is still some tightness inbetween my bottom teeth and gums like something is there but there isnt. If I poke my chin really hard it hurts lol but it also makes my teeth kinda tingle abit...I dont feel like I have a fat lip though anymore its just the little things that are annoying and buggish...I have come to realize that if I were stuck like this it wouldnt be the end of the world because I dont have pain anymore just little weird feelings that I never had before this surgery its just somthing I would have to get used to and after years its probably something you dont notice anymore. All you can do it try to help others and tell your story and say I have nerve damage and thats it thats all. If I do heal 100% it would be amazing and I can say I HAD nerve damage but it healed 100% and it could give others hope. :) I dont experience much of the set backs like Starbrite has where shes good for awhile and then has a tough time with pain or what not. For me its improved but very slowly and then it will stay the same for months..I just hope one day it wakes up and goes back to normal. Im almost at 5 and a half months...Blah its frustrating when people dont ask how you are though, and I agree Blessed2bme its definitely not a life threatening ordeal but life changing although it doesnt have to be a bad change it is uncomfortable but if you can get through the days like before its not that bad just a minor annoyance added lol Comparing how I feel now to in the beginning where it would burn, itch, tingle I think I can live with this compared to that because that was truly painful and pain is very hard to live with, annoyance well you live with that everyday anyways (boyfriends, husbands, friends, siblings, pets) haha jk. Have a great weekend everyone! Take care all :)
Blank
Update from me: I had a root canal August 3rd and he messed up the nerve somehow so now I have this numbness on chin and lip and also pain in the lip mostly as it tingles the most there. So then I went back to that endodontist that did it, he gave me antiobiotics and a steroid. I had a feeling though from reading online that wouldn't help so got a second opinion from an oral surgeon but he said the same thing, and to wait and see. I did that but then made an appointment with my regular doctor as this is really more a medical issue now than just dental since the nerve is effected. He dismayed me though because he had no idea what the problem might be. I asked if any vitamins might help and he said no, made me think he was clueless cuz I read that for a fact B12 might help. I think the truth is that this is permanent and there's no cure besides maybe brain surgery and no one wants to tell us this.
Blank
I have the same thing going on with me for about a week now. I have no pain in mine like some of the other posts mention but I think thats because im on ibuprofen 3 times a day. It feels a little better than it did at the start but I cant tell if its healing or if im just getting used to it. I dont think this is permanent.  I have faith that it will heal
Blank
Well this has certainly been a journey for me. It will be four weeks for me on Wednesday of having the numbness. The pain is thankfully about gone, but I do have a lot of tingling in my chin and lip still, some times more than others. I was hoping this would be over before I leave for a trip to Africa tomorrow. But unless a miracle happens overnight, I will be numb. I was hoping for healing, but though I haven't been healed physically, I have been healed emotionally. I have gone through the emotions of despair, depression, hope, disappointment, etc. Today I realized that I can still rejoice in this suffering. My life belongs to God and I am giving this over to Him! He suffered so much for me, I can go through this little bit of suffering and display joy as a testimony for Him. Sorry, I know this isn't a religious forum, but just wanted to share the hope I have found today because it has been so transforming! I don't know if I will post from Africa, but I will be sure to come back and update when I get home in three weeks!  

Love this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBv2cjTiBd8
Blank
A few days ago I posted how I was having a few rough days with major tingles and tightness again. Well as usual when this happens, I was right. Even though it always scares me, it seems to always mean a breakthrough is about to happen and that it did :) I have regained so much feeling back and the tingles have majorly subsided. My lip feels almost normal when I bite down now, yay!!! So I am telling everyone, when you are feeling "okay" for weeks and then all of a sudden things seem to go backward and you feel pain, pressure, tingles, tightness etc all over again, it means you are about to get more feeling back. It's been that way for me since the start, so I assume it should be the same or similar for others going through this as well.

It has been 6 months and 3 weeks for me since my surgery. I will post again soon with an update. Hope everyone is feeling better :) xoxo
Blank
Hi StarBrite. For the last couple of days my lip has been so tight it chapped. Has this happened to you? I also notice I go through rough patches, but then it gets better. Did or does this situation makes your face feel funny at times? Here's something funny to me. I can't feel temperature, but when I drink cold water it feels as if the nerves inside gets cold weird. It cold feels like it traces the tingles.
Blank
I am so happy for you!  You came a long way and are almost there!  Thanks for sharing your progress.  My daughter started having pain on the gum.  I am hoping it is a good sign.
Blank
In the first month, my lip was burning so badly and was chapped. That definitely went away after a couple of months. You see, the rough patches are good :) In terms of temperature, I posted on here many times how I couldn't feel temps for a long while and then all of a sudden I started to be able to, however it was many months later. Then there was a delay where I'd put an ice cube to my chin and couldn't feel the coldness for about 2 seconds. There is not really much of a delay anymore, but temperature is still not as strong as it is on the normal side, but it's much much better now than before. The cold water and the nerves inside feeling cold seems to be experienced by everyone here. That and the feeling of coldness running down your chin. It's very strange but obviously a normal part of this process. Sounds like everything is healing as it should for you as well :)
Blank
That is a VERY good sign! All pain is good I have come to experience. The more pain the better because for me at least, it's all meant getting more feeling back. I truly believe your daughter will heal 100% eventually :)
Blank

I found this at one website called dental help advice.

Crushing. This is the same as above, but more severe. Again, the numbness should wear off, but will take longer. Perhaps several months.

Partially severed. If the nerves are partiallysevered, there will be an initial complete numbness, followed by a gradual return of sensation. There will probably be a residual numbness like "pins and needles" that could take a long time to wear off, perhaps 12 months or longer.

Completely severed. If the nerve is completelysevered, the numbness of your lip and chin on that side will be total. It will feel absolutely "frozen".

However, if the nerve endings are close together (as they usually are) then it is possible for some regeneration to occur. You will get some feeling back over a period of time.

Blank
when numb chin syndrome or numb lip syndrome develop, People inclined to meet with an oral surgeon or dentist to address potential complications associated with the teeth or gums. This disease is so called malignancy, is directly related to damage or complications of the inferior alveolar nerve. When the inferior alveolar nerve is compressed, pinched or adversely affected by tumor growth, the result is the numbing sensation along the chin and lower lip.
Blank
Hi everyone, I had the two lower wisdom tooth removed 4weeks ago, the root of the left was too close to the nerve so one of the roots was left as the surgeon decided it was not worth the risk.  I am praying this will not cause any future problems as this is one experience I do not want to go through again.  It took almost 4 hours and I was getting desperate.  I have the numbness in my lower lip and chin on the left side.  I have felt minor improvement so I am praying and believing for complete recovery.  The worst is the tightness of my teeth on that side.  Has anyone else felt a degeneration of sight?
Blank
after having a very painful week last week, i woke up saturday (9/14) to about 60% sensation on my bottom lip.  i rubbed my lips together and i could feel yay!  i am also rubbing my fingers on the left side of my chin and experience a little bit of feeling although it is painful when i rub.  the inside of my bottom lip and my chin are still burning, tingling and feeling very tight.  i've noticed when i have my air conditioner on in my car, it burns really bad.  heat seems to suppress the pain.  also, when i chew gum, it burns really badly.  thursday (9/19) will be 8 weeks for me, so i am believing that i will be completely healed the the end of october.  i hope everyone else is experiencing some relief.  i will continue to update on my progress.  
Blank
How's everyone doing? Any progress?
Blank
I'm doing well! It's 7 months now and the whole area has really loosened up over the past few weeks. Of course I still feel tingles when I touch my chin, but it has definitely subsided and a lot of the old feelings have returned. I dunno what else to say really except that it just gets better and better with every passing month. Not 100% yet though...still waiting, but closer than further away. I think the 9-12 month range will be the biggie!!

I hope everyone is doing great! :)
Blank
Hi everyone! I am at 13 weeks and still have the "fish hook" feeling. However, I now feel cold on both the inside and outside. I have lots of tingles and actually some pain on my lower chin. My family doctor offered to prescribe some pain drugs, but I am not comfortable starting them and possibly becoming addicted. He seems to think all the lip/chin activity is promising. In June when this happened to me after a back molar extraction, I read all the posts on this site and was sure I would be healed by now - in time for our late Oct. cruise to the Panama Canal with my husband and our friends. Like most of you, I have good days where my tolerance is good. I am grateful that I don't have a life threatening situation.  But on the not-so-good days, I am frustrated by the very slow healing process. I am grateful for everyone's posts on progress, set backs, support, and frustrations.
Blank
I pretty much have the same thing going on as well. I can feel temperature slightly. I've been getting these electric shocks in my chin from time to time. I still have the tingles when I touch or move my lips. And last, my lips kinda hurts when I wipe them them at times.
Blank
I am glad I found this site. My son had four wisdom teeth pulled four weeks ago. He has had left lower lip and chin numbness since then. He was having
tingling feelings in these areas but this has stopped. Last week he noted that the feeling came back at the top of his bottom lip, but not the whole lip. I am hoping that this is a good sign but am worried because now he has stopped having any tingling feelings in the numb areas. I wish the dentist would have stressed this complication before the surgery.
Blank
I am glad you found this site for support. It has helped me during the past 14 weeks. I think your son's recovery will probably happen in small increments over time as with the rest of us. The lack of normal feeling is so horrible at first - you can't believe it has happened! Then there is a certain amount of acceptance with the hope that healing will take place. All these posts over the course of several years have helped me to understand the healing process. How old is your son? I have wondered if younger people might heal more quickly. Since I am older, I have tried to kick up my exercise at the gym, eat more healthy, take vitamin B complex, sleep well, etc. And, since this affliction does not show externally, it is a private battle with few family and friends really understanding the physical and emotional trauma. Help your son to stay strong and focused ... And continue to understand his frustration!
Blank
Thank you for your response. This does seem to be a very slow process.
My son is 21 years old. He has been taking B vitamins also, so hopefully this helps.
I hope you recover more feeling soon, especially before your trip.
Blank
Hope all is well. Just checking in to see how everyone's doing? My teeth loosened a little. I'm still getting sharp shooting pains here and there. For like two days my lips were really tight. I'm affected by postpartum anxiety, so it bothered me. But, after that, my teeth loosened. So, bad then good.
Blank
12 months? I think I'm gonna hit a little more than that. I'm month 7th, and I'm doing very bad these days. I was much better at month 2 and 4. But since last week I haven't been able to sleep well because of severe tingling. I think my nerve is being engaged somewhere with bones and gum within my jaw, and that's why it gets worse from time to time. I also noticed a little bit of tooth left in my gum on the x-ray image, when I told my doctor he said it's nothing, don't worry about that.

I came here today to ask you guys if you have heard of electrode therapy? my friend told me that she did electrode therapy to awaken the damaged nerve on her face because she couldn't open her eye after a car accident. She did better after treatment.
Blank
At this point, I would be willing to try anything non-invasive! I used a small magnate on my chin for awhile but didn't notice anything different. Of course that was before I accepted the fact that this nerve damage has a VERY slow healing process! Let us know if you experience any relief from the electrode therapy. I think we are all seeking ANYTHING that encourages healing and relief from the pain.
Blank
I had lower left wisdom and the one in front of it removed also a rootcanal in the one infront of those 3300 bucks later all i have is a coffee mug , a sore jaw, a healing mouth bt a numb lip and chin this was the 3rd of october 2013 im very afraid i will not get feeling back in it . I have a 2 year old son who smothers me in kisses but i cant feel it . Ive noticed a few have gotten feeling back after several weeks or months . My dentist prescribed me clyndamiacin 150 mg 4 times a day .....not sure what that suppose to do . Also my jaw aches so bad it makes me feel like i need to pop my neck and it feels like its no longer aligned correctly. Any tips at all on this?
Blank
Hi everyone, I am back from my trip to Africa. It was amazing. The numbness was there during the whole trip and annoying at times, but I think that when I look back on it years from now, the numbness will not even be remembered much probably.

It has been 8 weeks and two days since my wisdom tooth removal. My brother who is a physician in Africa told me that nerves are the slowest part of the body to heal and that I will most likely have to wait 6 months before it is better. I am going in a week and a half to my oral surgeon for a CAT scan. Maybe that will give me some answers as to whether the nerve was crushed or partially severed. I don't believe it was fully severed since I am feeling some tingling here and there. Recently, it started hurting a lot more to brush my teeth on that side. It is just sensitive, which I am taking as a good sign.

My surgery took under an hour and I am starting to believe my oral surgeon rushed it and caused this damage. Just wondering how long anyone else's surgery was? He only removed one wisdom tooth.

Blank
Your trip sounds wonderful! A safari is on our bucket list. Your brother has offered us hope of recovery even if it is long term. My tooth extraction 15 weeks ago was rushed too. I was an "emergency" and the dentist was obviously in a hurry to move forward. I remember thinking that at the time as he hastily removed the infected lower left back tooth. He drilled the "heck" out of the site to remove the infection. Of course, he totally denies any responsibility for the life changing effects.

I have much pain now, but I take that as a sign of healing. The "fishook" feeling is still very powerful, but I now also feel cold, pressure, and a little sensation when I run my fingernails over the site. We go on our Panama Canal cruise next weekend. That was my goal for healing - 16 weeks post surgery. It was my hope. The good news is that I have lost some weight, eat  VERY slowly, and often don't order certain foods since its hard to eat in public ;-)

Keep us posted on what you learn from the CAT scan!

Everyone tells me how it doesn't show at all. That is comforting BUT I feel it every minute of every day.
Blank
Hi Everyone!  It is good to hear all the updates on everyone - I can't wait for you all to tell me how much better you are :)  I continue to pray that day comes soon!

As for me, it has been just over 6 months since my surgery - I really thought I would be back to normal by now - but I'm not.  I'm not complaining - it is soooo much better than before - just not normal.  It continues to feel like it is "frozen" in place - like my mouth won't move - of course it does just fine - it is just a weird sensation.  At times it feels like someone is squeezing a small bit of my lip between tweezers - a sharp quick pain....I am trying to remain positive that this is a good sign :)

I too have just returned from vacation - had a great trip and truly was carefree about my mouth - the busier I am the less I notice it.  Other than biting my inner cheek (hard!) it was fine.  We have to just keep living and enjoying life and try to take it all in stride.  I know it is really hard - I am getting tired of this and I just want normal back....But I will keep the faith - I KNOW it will heal fully - it just takes time.

Peace to all - blessings for a speedy recovery :)

Blank
It has been 10 weeks since my daughter had her wisdom teeth removed.  She had all 4 of them removed and it only took less than one hour.  I now know he rushed as well.  She had an MRI done and has seen a neurologist twice.  She started feeling cold temperature and pressure.  But she has not seen any improvement on the lip.  
We found out that the oral surgeon drilled through the roof of her jaw bone too deep through the MRI diagnosis.  But it did not show the nerve condition.  The neurologist thinks it will take about 6 months before recovery.  But we need to see a maxillofacial OS to determine if the bone damage will have any future complications.  We did not see any improvement for two months and only recently started seeing slight changes.  So it just takes time...
Blank
Hi Usagi - I have been thinking of your daughter a lot - I can't imagine having this on both sides - my heart goes out to her.  The good thing is that she is younger, so hopefully she will heal faster.  I can't imagine watching one of my daughters go through this - it must be really hard for you too.  

Please know that you have a prayer warrior for you both - even though we don't know eachother really - I think of you both often  - blessings to you.
Blank
Oh.  Thank you so much for your nice comments.  Yes it was very hard to watch my 17 year old go through this.  I initially blamed myself to death for letting this happen to her.  But she has been coping with it very well.  I am quite proud of her being very strong.  I strongly suggest people not to have wisdom teeth removed unless they are bothering you.  I talked to so many people professional and non-professional. That is my conclusion.  Dentists will tell you to do things that are not always necessary.  So it is up to us to make a wise decision.  That was my lesson.  Thank you again and hope you are healing steadily as well!  I will keep you in my prayers as well.
Blank
Hi everyone!

I'm back for a "weird" update lol. A bit of a tough week here again, although more feelings have returned as that is what seems to happen, like someone else wrote, it gets bad then gets good. A lot of tightness has resulted in me getting more feeling back in my lip especially, but something is weird. When I now bite down on my lip the feeling is pretty much all there, but I don't feel any pain. In fact I can bite down so hard where it feels somewhat normal because there is no more numbness, but I can keep on biting down hard without it hurting, like at all! I guess this new breakthrough of feeling that has come in from last night got me so excited that I kept rubbing my teeth over my lip since it feels more normal, and now I wound up cutting it open. No pain though and I have been bleeding from a split in my lip :( When will the pain return? Seems like most feelings are returning except for the feeling of pain and tickles when I rub my finger over my lip. I feel my finger, temperature, water on it etc, but it feels "dead" if you know what I mean and none of that tickle feeling. Strange because it's sooo much better than before so I can't even truly begin to explain. Canine tooth and a little around it still feels tight and not normal, but a lot better than before so I guess I should be happy. Lastly, after getting my taste back for the past 3 or so months, it has diminished again on the tip of my tongue and on top for the past week. I can only taste on the sides and back again and this has been the most frustrating part of it all. It came back and now it's gone again after 3+ months!? I can only think it all has to do with everything working overtime now to heal. My tongue has been burning a little again when it had been fine for a looong while. I do feel things have changed for the better with my lip and chin so I am just praying it's from that and the nerves working harder. I know my taste can't get better and then go backwards and not get better again so I'm doing my best to stay optimistic. It will be 8 months for me on the 21st of October. When this first happened to me, I would have bet a ton of money that I'd be 100% back to normal 8 months later, but nope! It's shocking how long nerves take to heal but I do keep hearing that it can take anywhere from 12-18 months. Hope everyone is feeling okay :)
Blank
Just a quick update tonight. I am almost at 9 weeks. Tonight I had my daughter put an ice cube to my chin and I could feel the cold! This is certainly an improvement because I had tried this many times before my trip to Africa, and I could not feel any temperature at all! Now even though it doesn't feel completely normal, it feels very cold. Yay! Baby steps...

Blank
Hello everyone. Hope you all are healing well and in good spirits. As for me, I'm doing ok. Tonight I realized I have  the feeling back in my lip and chin. I can feel touch. I still have tight teeth, strong tingles, and overall tightness. I went through days a extreme tightness. As if I could not move my lip. It felt stuck. That has eased up, but I feel it creeping back. For a couple of weeks when I touched or rubbed my chin, there was a sharp pain in my tooth. Now the pain moves throughout the teeth(affected side). Just realized I haven't scratched in a while, so no more ichiness. I try to stay strong throughout this situation, but sometimes this tightness aggravates me. It makes my face feel funny. Sometimes those tingles are so intense it makes me feel as if that sensation is in my cheek. I just keep reminded myself that I'm healing. And when my five month old puts his face against my chin, it tickles. One day at a time. We are all going to heal.
Blank
I am 41 years old and had my lower right wisdom tooth removed on 10/15/13.  I am still experiencing numbness in my lower lip and chin.  I have a lot of tingling in my chin and lip.  Today at lunch I was able to feel cold sensations on my lip! So needless to say I keep touching my lip to make sure I can still feel it and I can!  Praise the Lord!!!  I'm still numb but I am able to feel the cold feeling.  Yesterday I had a lot of burning sensation and awoke many times during the night last night.  I think this is due to the anxiety of the whole issue.  I continue to pray that the feeling will be completely restored for all of us!  I am so thankful for this site because until I found this site all I read was gloom and doom!  I hate you all are going through this awful thing too but I'm glad that I have you guys to chat with.  I'm sure my family and friends are tired of me complaining.  I have increased my supplements and added 2 ATP's a day along with my Infuse Vitamins.  I'm praying that with all of the B vitamins in them it will promote healing of the nerves.  I will keep you guys informed of my progress.  May God continue to bless each of you!
Blank
Hi All :)

StarBrite - it is good to hear from you!  This whole process is so unpredicable - one day good/one day bad....who knows?  But overall, I know we are all getting better - and we are learning patience :)

April and Tamesa - it sounds like you are experiencing more feelings, and even though it could be a long road it sounds like you are dealing well with it all.

Sunshine - I'm glad you found us.  This is one of those things that no one really gets unless they have experienced it - it is just too hard to explain and doesn't make a lot of sense to people - like how could it hurt if it is numb?!  You are just at the start - but it sounds like maybe your damage is less severe - at 3 days after surgery, most of us were in severe pain - so hopefully, you will heal quickly :)

Anyway, I'm having a relatively good day - it feels like any minute now it could come back all the way and be normal - the way it feels right before the novacain would wear off completely after going to the dentist.  I remain grateful and hopeful :)

Peace my friends!  xoxo
Blank
My son recovered his feeling this week, which will be week 6. I think that he was helped by taking B vitamins. He took a prescription one called
Metanx. Maybe this will be helpful
Blank
Hello. :)

What was it like when your son recovered his feeling? Was it kind of gradual or spontaneous or a combination of both.

October 23 will be one month since I had my wisdom teeth out and therefore one month of having a numb lip and chin on my right side.
Blank
Hi!

I've been watching this forum for the past few weeks, reading the comments over and over because they give me hope as weird as that sounds (but I think a lot of you will understand that).
Finally feel comfortable enough to post in here...
I have all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out September 23 (almost 4 weeks ago). All went according to procedure. My bottom teeth were impacted, but there was no issue removing them, as far as I know.
I knew that something wasn't right the same day. All of my other freezing had worn off, but on my right side, my bottom lip and chin were still numb.
My oral surgeon had warned my that this was a possibility, but I (probably like many others), thought about it, but didn't really think it would happen to me.
Well, it did. I'm one of the lucky ones like all of you. Lol.
The first couple weeks, I had TONS of tingling and the feeling like a spider was crawling inside my chin. Not on it, INSIDE it, as weird as that may sound. And it was impossible to scratch! Then came the burning feeling, which is still happening often. I don't get the itchy/crawling feeling as much now, I don't think, but it's also possible I'm just getting used to it, so I'm just not noticing it as much?
If I touch lightly on my chin, it maybe feels like I can feel it a little bit, although mostly I think it's just tingles and hypersensitivity. Or I'm maybe imagining it because sometimes I'll poke my chin or lip with my fingernail and it will feel as numb as it ever was. :S
Sometimes, I'm really scared that I'll be one of the like 1 or 2% who never recover, but I'm very hopeful that I will and it will just take time.
It's scary because it's already been a month almost, and it's so hard to tell if I've been improving or not.
I started taking a B vitamin complex (although, I have to admit, the last couple days I've forgotten to take it).
I wish I knew how long this will take to heal. I just desperately want some reassurance that I will get better. Even if it will take a few more months, I just wish there was a way to Know.

Amanda :)
Blank
Hi Amanda,

Thanks for sharing. I too just really wanted reassurance that my condition isn't permanent. I think if I knew that for sure that it would be a lot easier to deal with. Up until a week ago, I could not tell that I was having any real improvement so that was discouraging. Just this last week (week 8), I started feeling cold again. I also do a pin prick test almost every day to see if the line of numbness has moved. The other day, instead of being completely numb, I can now feel the pin prick almost all over my chin. Although it is not a normal feeling, at least I can feel the prick. Anyway, just tell you that because it sounds like you are where I was a month ago, and maybe that would give you a little bit of hope.

Hello to everyone else out there as well. I appreciate the comments and updates. Like other have mentioned, friends and family who aren't experiencing this can't completely understand the feelings. Thanks for sharing everybody.

Casper-I am really impressed with your son's improvement in week 6! Certainly I will ask my oral surgeon this week about Metanx! Thank you for sharing.
Blank
this friday (10/25) will be three months since my wisdom tooth removal.  my feeling on the bottom lip is still at 60%.  i can touch my chin or trace my lips and feel it tingle.  also, when i am drinking something, i can feel a cold sensation on the inside of my chin.  not on the outside yet.  my lip constantly burns and tingles!  i notice when i chew gum, it feels worse!  i love gum, so i just can't give it up lol.  i still take vitamins (b complex and c).  not being able to feel certainly makes you appreciate the simple things in life...
Blank
Very happy to see everyone's getting better.

I was one of those who thought mine is gonna last forever, but after 8 months of terrible tingling and numbness on my tongue, I can now say that I feel I'm getting better. I have been better on months 2, 4 and 8. But on the rest of the months, specially the last three months, I was really suicidal. But now, there are moments that I can just sit down for hours without thinking about the burning sensation.

Possibly I have been here longer than many of you who joined recently, but I can certainly tell you those who have numb chin will definitely get well soon. It's only those with numb tongue who last a bit longer to get healed.

I'm now between 20-50% numb. It depends really. Sometimes I'm 20%, and one hour later I'm 50% numb. But I don't mind if there is change. I just couldn't stand the constant burning of the last three months.
Blank
Amanda,
His healing seemed very slow and gradual. There were days of tingling and days where everything was just plan numb. He noticed the numb areas getting smaller the last week or so and then all the symptoms resolved. It takes time to heal. It is hard when you are going through this. You will likely note some improvement soon.
Blank
Casper - I feel like we should have a party for your son!!!  It is sooo great to hear that he has healed completely!!!  Yay!!!!  I hope that everyone on here gets a little boost from his progress - even though their own (mine) is slower - it is certainly happening!

Curtiscraig - good to hear from you - I have been here all along with you - sooo happy your burning is improving - stay strong!!  Always believe in total healing and NEVER give up!

Welcome Amanda - hope your healing moves along quickly - but have patience - I am at over 6 months - but I am old...lol :)

Peace and patience to all :)  xoxo
Blank
I had my appointment with the oral surgeon yesterday. He did not do a cat scan like I had been told over the phone would happen. He said it would not make any difference and walked out of the room. I was pretty upset about this because I thought it would at least give me some kind of answers. What he did tell me is that he does see this happen occasionally and that it just takes time to heal. He would not give me any sort of time frame either. Overall, I was very disappointed in his matter of fact responses, and general lack of sympathy. He gave me a prescription for Gabapentin. I questioned him on what exactly this drug was, and was it is supposed to do. He said it was something that has sometimes helped diabetics with feeling loss and that there was a chance it "might" help me. When I looked up the medicine online, I found that it is used to control seizures in epileptics and is also used to control bi-polar, but also a common side effect was increased depression and incidence of suicide! I know every medication has it's potential side effects, but this side effect was mentioned over and over, and with my struggles I've had in the past with depression, I am very concerned about even trying this medication. He did not give me a lot of confidence that it would do anything to help anyway.

Anyone else tried Gabapentin?

I asked him for a prescription to metanx, which he had never heard of, but he did agree to call it in for me.

The ONLY positive thing from the appointment was that he seemed a little bit impressed that my ability to feel coldness came back about a week ago. Maybe that seemed early to him. Though when I asked him the average time he has seen it takes for the feeling to return in patients, he said, "I have no idea. I can't tell you that."

Curtiscraig-Glad for you as well that you are feeling a bit better.

Thanks blessed2bme52, you are an encourager to everyone.

Blank
blessed2bme52 - Hi friend, you always replied to my comments and never let me alone. Thank you very much for that, I can really feel less burning now, still the tip of my tongue is numb, but the area is getting smaller, I can feel it.
Blank
What are some of the exercises you all are doing for the lip and chin? I chewed gum today, and it was weird. Also, do you all chew on the affected side? I find myself using the better side more.
Blank
I went to see another oral surgeon yesterday for some more opinions. This surgeon was great, and I really wish I would have gone to him from the beginning. I told him everything that happened and then he did all the tests on me, poking my chin with the instrument, seeing if I can feel one or two pokes, touching areas of my mouth and tongue, using a very small needle to scrape inside my gums. Didn't hurt, but then he did one pinch and owww :) He also took a little swab of cotton on a stick and asked me to tell him the direction he was brushing it in on my chin. In fact, I did better on the "bad" side than the good! Haha, but anyway he said that in 8 months I have healed better than most with this situation and it seems like I have regained almost all feeling now, so that was very encouraging! Any internal tightness or little tingles will fade. He also said that eventually everything should heal 100%, as our brains will adjust to any abnormalities that may linger and perceive it as normal, but may not be technically all there, he just doesn't know. What he means by that, and what I've read continuously online, is that when nerves heal, they may heal slightly wrong. So for example, if I rub my chin, I still feel tingles in my teeth. That SHOULD correct itself he said, but there is a slight chance it never will. However, it really is nothing to be concerned about. I know I have healed tremendously this last month which I am so grateful for.

Regarding my taste issue that I've mentioned here, I got the assurance from him that it is most definitely NOT from lingual nerve damage, yay! If so, my tongue would have been numb which it was never and you don't just lose taste with that damage, it would be numb as well. He didn't completely know why I've been having taste issues (he is referring me to a doctor who deals more with that), but in his opinion, because my tongue has burning sensations, he feels it's most likely the result of two things. My nerve being bruised and it causing some weirdness in the area of where the taste nerves are (not lingual though) but it's all in the same vicinity, and heavy stress, which I have had majorly this year. He did say everything should be totally fine as time goes on and just in the last few days my taste has gotten stronger again. It's all very odd lol.

When I asked how common the situation we are all in is after wisdom teeth removal, he did say he's not gonna lie and that it is very rare, but it does happen occasionally which we see and most do heal with no residual issues. Hopefully this helps shed some light. The doctor did tell me lots more too, so if anyone has other questions, I can let you know if he answered them :) Take care and Happy Friday!
Blank
Hi All!

Aprilchristine - I am sorry your appt with the oral surgeon did not go well :(  I got the same type of response from my surgeon when I went back at 6 weeks - just a blank stare and no real answers.  He seemed almost shocked that I was having these issues and really got out of the room as quick as he could - I do think he felt bad for me, but I could see the look of panic that I might want to sue, so he really limited anymore contact with me.  His nurse also gave a shrug and blank stare when I questioned about how many patients had this issue - no one would commit to any specific answer.

I still have to go back to the same oral surgeon because he is the one that started my implant, and it needs to be finished.  I told him I was going to wait til feeling came back before I proceeded.  I don't really think the implant was the issue - I had a wisdom tooth removed at the same time and I think that is what caused the nerve damage.

Tamesa - I usually don't chew on the affected side - because I am also missing a molar on that side, if I do chew I will almost always bite my tongue.  I don't do any exercises per say, but I do stretch my lip and cheek out alot - it weems to ease some of the cramping a bit.  

Starbrite - I am so glad you had a good appointment with upbeat news :)  I am curious about the tests he gave you - my oral surgeon never tested the numbness at all - I really wonder why?  I feel like I am just a bit behind you, so everything you post is in my future :)  Right now, I would say I am about 75% healed.  The numbness is basically gone - it just doesn't feel normal.  Still have the tingling, and transfer of feeling to teeth, and the weird teeth thing ....but better than even last week :)

So to all -- my prayers are always with you - I am so grateful we have connected over this and that we can support each other :)

Peace!  xoxxo
Blank
Hi everyone, I am 4 weeks post bilateral lower wisdom teeth removal. My bottom lip and chin on the right side still feels like its gonna fall off. I am a nurse and i work 12 hour shifts.So for 12 hours I am in a cold hospital, which cold seems to make things worst.  My lip feels heavy and numb and cold and painful.  As a nurse I have not had a patient ever explain pain the way my lip and chin feels. Some days I get so depressed because of this.  How do I go on living like this. This really hurts and I feel no one understand, until I read comments on this forum. Im not suicidal but sometimes I just feel I have to make it stop.  My lip feels so heavy it makes me feel like I had a stroke, it takes a little more effort to pronounce certain words when conversing. My dentist said it can take up to a year to heal or it can be permanent.  So frustrated. last night while I was trying to sleep it felt like my teeth were a railroad and there were several little workers working last night. aches were just shooting and jumping all around.  I regret the day I went to the dentist and complained of pain.  
Blank
I had my tooth taken out 10 days ago wisdom tooth from lower right side. Within a few days I felt about 50% recovered but since last 5 days I don't see much change.

I have burning sensation on the lower jaws right side and also I feel some portion of chin numb (limited area). I went to see my dentist on Saturday and he did few tests like pinching some areas with needle. He mentioned my muscle could have been traumatized and perhaps nerves may have disturbed. He said it could take weeks, months or even years to recover.

He said I can go and see a specialist who is most likely going to ask me to wait as well. I am not sure what is going on but just does not feel good. I also noticed that I am getting pain in night little more than day and lower lip on right side is getting cracks frequently.

I know there are lots of people are struggle with the same situation. I pray it does not become part of my life.
Blank
Hi and welcome to our forum.  I am sorry you needed to join our group - but we are all here to support each other and offer encouragement.  Things will get better with time - I promise.  It is a sometimes long - not always, and slow process.  I believe those that never came back were healed quickly, so there is always hope for that - and one recent man healed in 6 weeks - it happens.  For most of us that have stayed on the forum, our healing is slower - I am almost at 7 months and I feel about 75% healed.  

If you have any specific questions, just ask - for the most part, it is nice to know that you are not alone, and we are all going through the same feelings - sometimes panic, sometimes acceptance.  Stay strong and let us know how you are doing.

Peace :)
Blank
Thank you for always being so supportive and comforting. I will be at four months November 1st. For everyone else, when this first happened to me, I was 2 months postpartum. This situation brought on crazy panic attacks for me. I was diagnosed with postpartum anxiety. BUT, having this website really helped me. It gave me assurance. I see and feel the healing that's taking place. It may be slow, but I'm getting there. And, we all will. God bless us all.
Blank
I have been following along and reading your forum for the past couple of months.  I had 2 implants on February 13th and my lip and chin have not returned to normal yet.  My dentist says to give it time but it has been almost 9 months.  Does anyone ever heal completely?  It is very depressing to get up every morning hoping it will return to normal just to se that there has been no change.   I felt like I was all alone in this but after reading your posts,  I see that I'm not alone.  

QPdoll
Blank
I am glad you have entered this site! It is so therapitic to know each of us is not alone in this horrific situation. Friends and family want to support us but they really can't fully understand what has happened and how we feel every day.

I never dreamed I would not heal in nearly five months! I think I would have sunk into a deep depression with that reality. However, although I still have the pinched feeling in the area under my lip, I no longer have the shooting "electric" bolts. I can now also maneuver eating things I had stopped eating because it was just too difficult. I still feel as though I have something wet on my chin when I eat or drink something cold.

As people around me are diagnosed with very serious health conditions, I am grateful that mine is not life threatening nor is it able to be seen. But I am aware of it every minute. I had a dream the other night that the nerve "popped" into place and I was back to normal - disappointing to wake up ;-)

I have committed to maintaining my overall general good health by going to the gym, eating well, getting plenty of rest, taking vitamin B-complex and an occasional Advil, AND praying!! In my life I have always seen things happen for a reason and I am waiting not so patiently to see why this has happened! And I am certain most of us realize the irony that we PAID for this result - often big bucks for the dental work!!

Imagine this happening without the support of others through social media. I agree that online sites can also be dangerous, but most of us would feel all alone if we hadn't found this blog. I told my family doctor about the learning and support of this community, and he was very happy for me!

I really read through everyone's posts. I feel hopeful as many recover and have also shed tears over some of our scenarios, especially our younger folks. It is a confusing journey through this situation, but I am grateful to each of you for sharing. Thank you!
Blank
Just an update. I am at 11 weeks.  A week and a half ago, I was trying to describe to my husband the feeling in my chin. The constant strangeness, often tingling and sharp jabs of pain, and burning, and how I just can't stop feeling these things constantly and how intrusive they are to my life. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I told him I didn't think that I could deal with this condition the rest of my life, if this was the case.

So last Friday I started on the metanx prescription. I can't really describe completely the difference, but although it is not gone, I can go through periods of the day where I forget about it. It just feels better, like the numbness and strangeness is wearing off, less tingling, less burning. I am now able to scratch when it itches on my chin. The Metanx is a b vitamin, but from my reading online, it sounds like a lot of the over the counter b vitamins don't have the same ability to be absorbed and used by the body.It you want to try it, beware though that pharmacists try to replace the prescription with an over the counter b vitamin that is not the same. Be sure it is actually Metanx.

My oral surgeon did say that most people tend to recover with time, regardless of what they take or don't take to help with it.

A friend of mine who was a dental hygienist for 15 years told me that she saw patients with paresthesia, but she never saw any who did not recover from it.

The fact that there are not people on this forum really who have suffered with this for multiple years leads me to believe that most recover.

Blessings all. We will get thru this!

Blank
Hello everyone! It has been awhile since my last update (Sept 6th actually wow!) I am feeling a lot better as I'm sure you guessed that already.I will be at 32 weeks this Thursday which is 8 months! I have improved a lot in the past week my tingling is less and less and the tightness is pretty much gone...just weird temperature changes like if I have wind or a fan blowing it feels colder on the damaged side. I am no longer numb at all but that was better a long time ago after the first month. It just has been this lingering tightness and tingles weird sensations that you dont normally feel. At this point I believe I am 90% healed. I could live with this forever at this point where a few months back I would be totally annoyed....your body does get used to it and starts to think its normal but to any of you that are in pain I have been there and that part is not fun and no we couldnt live like that forever as long as your not in pain consider yourself very lucky. There are people (even close family members of mine) that are in pain everyday from nerve damage and nothing really helps the pain. For us it is just weird sensations and numbness the numbing is horrible I wont deny that because your not used to your face being numb for so long it kind of makes you go crazy. I know its hard to live day to day with this but there will be an end to this all the end date is unknown but if you look at my situation I think I will be healed in full by the end of this year hopefully by my next surgeon appointment in January! He told me last time that that lingering tingling will go away it is just still healing and nerves heal sooo slow if the numbness goes away and its just tingling then you know that will go away too its just slllowww if the lip heals so will the chin its not one or the other. I hope everyone can get through this without much aniexty that I know it causes. It will get better I promise it is only a matter of time. Take care all!!
Blank
Hi Sarah.  I read your post and it made me feel like there is hope for me yet.  It might take me alot longer though since I am alot older..lol.  Just wanted to say "Thank You" or your post.  :)
Blank
Hello :) I am 25 almost 26 so anyone over 25 there is a possibility of this happening after dental surgery. I read your post that you wrote recently and it has been almost 9 months with no change? You are not still numb are you? I read on a website it could take as long as 18 months so there is still hope for you! I dont think mine is as severe because my numbness went away after the first month it has just been constant tingles and weird temperature sensations, tightness these past months. If you are still numb then I cant really relate to you there but I am so sorry if you still are I know how horrible it is. All I can say is the healing process takes forever and it feels even longer than that so we just have to have faith and wait it out I guess. It could always be worse remember that it does help a little. :) There is definitely still hope for you no doubt about it. Take care and glad I made you feel better.

To everyone else keep hanging in there! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! (it is just a lonnng tunnel lol) By the way it is exactly 8 months for me today!
Blank
Hi Everyone!

Sarah - it is great to hear from you - thank you for coming back and encouraging us all.  I am so happy that you are almost back to normal - I know you will get all the way there :)

QPDoll- hang in there.  It may be 9 months, but if you are feeling any improvement at all - no matter how small - then that is a good sign.  I am adding you to my prayer list - and I am happy you found us :)

Aprilchristine - I too have wondered if I could tolerate the constant irritation of this nerve damage.  Noticing it every single second of every day is so exhausting - even though I really haven't had the pain in a while - the constant recognition that something isn't right is very emotionally upsetting.  BUT.....mind over matter - we WILL get through it  - it WILL get better - we are STRONGER than this stupid nerve damage - AND GOD WILL answer our prayers.    
It sounds like the Metanx is helping - that is awesome - keep us posted :)

Funinsun - it is always great to hear your updates - keep up the good attitude - I am so grateful to have this connection with you :)

Curtiscraig - how are you feeling?  Hope you are continuing on your journey to recovery :)

Tamesa - give that baby of yours a big hug and kiss - what a blessing they are - mine are all grown and I wish I could do it all over again :)  Grab every moment you can with them :)

So, I have good news to report on my healing - I am definitely better than last week - it feels better in the mornings, and then gets a little worse as the day goes on - but still better overall.  The numbness is almost completely gone and the tingles are getting less and less.  I'd say I'm about 80 percent :)  It is happening - I am getting back to normal :)

Hang in there my friends - I think of you all and pray for you each day.  Peace  :)

Blank
Hi Blessed...Thank you for your prayers...I sure could use them.  When I first had this done...there was complete numbness of the left side of my chin and lip.  In May I did get some feeling...the tingles and the feeling of something cold running down my face.  Since then I have felt some improvement in my chin area but the corner of my mouth (lower lip) still is numb.  I have trouble eating on that side because I keep biting the inside of my mouth.  It feels somewhat better in the evening right after my shower and first thing in the morning but during the day it seems to be worse.  I avoid talking to my co-workers because I am self conscience about it..I know they can't tell but it still bothers me that it isn't normal.  It will be 9 months for me next Tuesday.  I am trying my best to be patient but this healing is going so slow.  Sarah- you are right..it could be worse...one thing I am greatful for is that I never had any pain...just this annoying numbness and shock /tingles.  I am thankful for finding this site and for your support....makes it easier when others know what you are going through.  My prayers are with all of you.  
Blank
Hi Blessed, Since month 8 I feel better. My improvement happened almost overnight, like BOOM and in the morning I was much better. It took 8 months for a little improvement but I'm thankful for that. I think I'm gonna hit more than a year for complete healing.

- QPDOLL1998  - Just hang in there, it will get healed.
Blank
Hey everyone :) First of all, I am so happy to hear that most of you are feeling improvements. I will be 9 months in a couple of weeks and I am doing so much better than even last month. I would say at this point I am probably 88-90% healed. Some days are better than others, but in general I feel so much more normal now. It really does take a looong time for these nerves to heal but I can pretty much guarantee that everyone here who is still enduring these rough days will indeed heal eventually. Try not to let the time discourage you, even though it's tough not to, believe me. Even after all these months for me, I consistently need reassurance from my boyfriend, friends and family that everything in the end should be ok, but then I think in my mind too how far I've come and know that this will one day be a distant memory, for all of us. I have high hopes for everyone here and have been told so many times by more than one doctor how this is RARELY a permanent situation, just takes an insanely long time to get back to normal. Stay strong and have a lovely weekend! xoxo
Blank
I had 2 root canals on January 6,2013.  2 days after the procedure the left side of my chin and lower lip went numb.  Total numbness lasted a couple of months, but burning pain followed for several months after that.  I saw countless "professionals" who were not able to determine what caused the numbness.  It could of been an injection injury, over instrumentation of the area, overfill, or an extreme infection after the procedure.  I was placed on antibiotics a couple of days after the numbness started as well as an oral steroid.  Unfortunately, I continued to experience pain in the two teeth as well.  Eventually, I had #19 extracted and am awaiting an implant.  (titanium screw will be placed on the 15th of November)  I haven't decided what I am going to do with the other root canalled tooth in front of that, #20, because it doesn't not bother me as much.  As for the status of the numbness:  I am not totally numb any more.  Just extreme tightness discomfort if I touch or rub my lip in a certain way.  I have been reading this thread since when I happened upon it in the spring.  It has been extremely welcome.  It was very comforting that others were going through the similar symptoms.  It is a shame how unfortunate incidents happen... you don't see them coming.  The two teeth I had root canalled our my only fillings.  I have had braces and have kept very good care of my teeth.  The only reason I had the root canals done was because it sometimes hurt to bite down.  My dentist was unable to ever see any real problem so he suggested that root canals would help.  Needless to say, that did not solve the problem.  I am anxiously awaiting all my symptoms to rectify.  It has been 10 months.  I am 48 years old so I am thinking it my take a person my age a little longer(gee, I don't like that last sentence!!)  I wish all of you a speedy recovery and I wanted to thank all of you for your continued posts.  It really was a lifesaver.  Thank you!
Blank
Sorry Betsy for your troubles, but welcome as well. I hope that your symptoms will rectify soon as well.

Just an update. It has been 13 weeks for me now. I am not numb anymore. I would say the lingering tightness is what I notice the most now. I have tingling and strangeness only when I touch my chin or lip. If the tightness would subside, I think I would feel so much better. There is not pain anymore either. Overall, feeling quite a bit better.

I've been taking Metanx, a prescription B vitamin (see previous post). I also use daily a combination of essential oils from young living that are supposed to help with nerve healing. I put them on my jaw and sometimes in my mouth where the tooth was extracted.

My brother who is a doctor told me that I probably have to wait until at least the 6 month mark for it to resolve. I am hoping with these supplements that I can beat that :)

Blessings to you all.

Blank
I had an implant put in my lower left side a month ago. 5 days after my lip and chin went numb. I am experiencing tingling crawly and itchy feelings. How long till the numbness goes away?
Blank
Hi Everyone!
I love to hear good news, so I am soooo happy to hear that Starbrite, Curtiscraig, and Aprilchristine are doing better - woohoo!!!  I feel like I know you and I am rejoicing in your improvement :)

Betsy and Mariemay - welcome - no one is in this group by choice - but we are all happy to give and get the loving support found here.  We all heal at different rates - a few really quickly, and many more of us quite slowly - there is no way to know - time will tell.

I am now past 7 months - the last few days have been on the rough side - I am going to take that as good news and hope that, like  in the past it will lead to more healing.  It is frustrating and depressing, BUT....I refuse to give into those feelings, and instead focus on the love and joy in my life.  I am so grateful to have you all - thank you for sharing your stories :)

Peace my friends.  xoxo
Blank
Today I am not sure if my symptoms are actually worse or if my emotions related to them are worse....It almost feels like I am developing a slight numbness in my cheek bone just below my right eye. It seems like I feel a tingling there, and I rub my cheek and it seems to go away. How depressing.

Are you feeling any better Blessed2bme? After the rough days?
Blank
Hi All,

Aprilchristine - I have good days and bad days.  This morning my upper lip actually feels numb....I really don't get how this healing works...one step forward, two back...time will tell.  I have had numbness in my ear area and even the bottom of my chin - things change all the time.  Usually, after a strange day like that, I feel better....we shall see.  I hope you are feeling better now.

I hope the new people that have not returned are doing well - I really do think that a lot of people heal really quickly and never return - God bless them :)

I have had a lot of issues eating lately - more so than before - food falling out of my mouth and dripping down my chin - I think it happens most when I am really hungry and trying to eat too fast.  Oh well - I can only laugh it off :)

Peace my friends - have a blessed Thanksgiving!  xoxox
Blank
Hi everyone! I eagerly read all the posts even if I don't regularly respond! That's probably the case with many of us. In fact, I get the email alert when there is a new posting. Thank you so much for sharing your journeys through the healing - hopefully - process!

I am at week 22 post-surgery for the removal of the back lower left tooth. I believe it was the novocaine injection that caused my nerve damage, but it could also have been the drilling in the root of the tooth. Anyway - I am still numb and often in pain.

I no longer have those feelings of electricity throughout the area. I have the numb "twisted lip" or "fish hook" feeling all the time. I have developed the bad habit of lightly chewing or sucking on the area and have to constantly remind myself to quit. My doctor recommended a liquid gel Advil for the pain since it is easier on the liver. I still take the B-complex, but don't think it has helped during the past five months. And eating/drinking anything cold still makes me feel as though I have ice cream on my chin ;-)

Just as all of you, I have learned to live with it. I am recently retired so rarely have to speak in public anymore. But last week I had to make a small presentation and discovered I was having trouble forming some words as I spoke rapidly. I felt like Elmer Fudd - cwazy wabbit! We have to laugh at ourselves otherwise it's often too much to bear, right??

My family jokes at how very slowly I eat now and I am always the last one at the table. Should be an interesting Thanksgiving ;-)  I keep reading anything I can find on our situation and am constantly reassured that the majority of us will eventually heal. It is just a Long and Slow process - ARG!!

My best wishes to each of you as you celebrate the holidays with family and friends. As we always remind each other - this NOT life threatening, but is life altering. We have found each other for support, venting, information and, in a way, new friendship. Please keep sharing your experiences!!
Blank
Hello Everyone! Update time..so I am at 8 months and 3 weeks this Thursday so next week will be 9 months! I honestly can say I feel 95% healed where as last time I said 90% so I am definitely healing quick now...my tightness feels pretty much gone just little tiny tingle sensations but for the past two weeks I havent even noticed my chin and lip!! But I am having other problems right now so my lip and chin are the least of them....sheesh funny how we think one problem is so bad until the next comes along and you wish you had the last problem instead!! boy oh boy...anyways I almost healed and it has been a long road but the end is finally near!! Couldnt be more thrilled. Hope everyone heals quickly! Talk to you all soon :)
Blank
Thank you for the update Sarah. It was really good for me to hear from someone that after almost 9 month, you are still noticing some improvement. It's been hard for me because I haven't really seen much measurable improvement in the last few weeks, and I was starting to feel like my healing had halted or at least stalled.

I keep thinking that the area where the numbness was and the tingling still is should be getting smaller. The perimeter really hasn't changed at all. The only thing is that my lip might feel a little bit less tingly than the rest of my chin. This Wednesday will be four months for me. I have worried so much that this will heal. It helps a little to focus on the fact that it should heal within 6-12 months according to the medical community.

I tell you what though! I am flossing everyday and doing everything to take care of my teeth from now on! I don't ever want to have dental work done again!

Blank
I forgot to mention that this Wednesday will be four months for me. I am thankful that I do not have any pain with this anymore. I used to, but honestly since I started on the Metanx I haven't had any of the sharp jabs of pain. My Metanx prescription ran out, and instead I ordered something called neuropathy support forumla. It claims to have the same B12, but also has a few other things and it is cheaper. I've been on that for a week now. Anything that could help jump start this healing and move it along is worth trying I think.
Blank
It has been 4 months and one week since my 17 year old daughter had a nerve injury.  She had almost no tingling unlike everybody else and at the third month mark, she recovered about 30 % of her sensation.  We were hopeful for her to start seeing more recovery but since then there has been no improvement. It seems that the nerve went into the dormant stage. Her oral surgeon mentioned the possibility of nerve reconstruction surgery.  But because of her young age and the potential scars on her face, he recommended an aggressive nerve rehab.  She will start the session next week. At this point we will try anything.  We still want to believe that she would eventually recover but we are not seeing any of the signs other people at this forum are experiencing.  I know everybody here is going through a tough time.  If any of you had or know someone who had a long absense of improvement and yet recovered in the end, can you share that story?  Good luck to all of you.  
Blank
Oh, I am so sorry for your daughter! It must be so difficult for you all to deal with, but I am glad that she has an oral surgeon who is exploring more options for her. Do you mean that she doesn't have any tingling at all even when she touches the area that is numb? Mine actually doesn't tingle much anymore unless I rub my finger across it. I am hoping and praying for her recovery. Please keep us posted.
Blank
Hi Everyone...I've been busy with holiday fun, but I wanted to check in.  I have not really noticed any improvement since my last post, but I'm still believing it will happen :)  Christmas miracles for us all!!

Funinsun - it sounds like we are almost identical.  I also have some trouble speaking - I really am noticing it more now with the parties I've been going to and trying to talk to a lot of people.  Eating continues to be an issue - somehow I manage to stuff in the holiday treats though...lol :)

Sarahnumb - I am soooo happy you are almost healed!  I hope your other issues are temporary and will resolve happily.  xoxo

Aprilchristine - I am glad you are not in pain any longer - hang in there and try to enjoy the holidays!

Usagi - Thanks for coming back and updating us on your daughter - I think of her quite a bit and continue to pray for her total healing.  Please let us know what the nerve rehab is all about.  I would certainly wait with any surgery - people DO recover at 12 months - I would hate for her to go through something that time could heal naturally.  Waiting is so hard...especially at 17....please keep us posted.

Merry Christmas to all my cyber friends - may God bless you with love and hope and trust.  Peace!  xoxxo
Blank
usage: I SO want to encourage you and your daughter to have hope. I was looking online more last night just to try and find some stories of people healing from this. I found several who said that it took about two years. I even found one person who said it took seven years! But it DID eventually go away completely! That one was strangely comforting to me just because it encourages me to NEVER give up hope for recovery. I am just thinking that for those people who's recovery takes two years, surely they have days and weeks and even months where they feel like nothing is improving. I am trying to stay hopeful of that at least.

So about mid-morning, I noticed that when I bite down my teeth don't feel as tingly and strange as they did just yesterday. Oh, I hope, I hope this is an improvement that sticks! This is just an emotional roller coaster at times, but we have to hope and pray.

Thanks blessed2bme, so nice to hear from you.
Blank
Hi!!! I wanted to also check in and see how everyone is doing :) I am a little over 9 1/2 months and I can safely say now that I have jumped into the 90 percentile in healing. In the last few weeks any residual tightness has let up. It's extremely minor now, and the tingling has really subsided. The area almost feels totally back to normal and I'm hoping to make a full recovery by the year mark in February. With the way things are going, I think I just might!

usagi3841 - Thank you for updating, as I have been wondering how your daughter was doing. I really don't think she has anything to truly worry about, even with the recovery taking a long time and having those weeks where she's feeling no improvement. I too have had that and then boom!!!, overnight I regain sensations. The fact that she has gained back 30% is fabulous and could only mean more will come soon. I've read that some people heal this way and get a large amount of feeling back in one swoop instead of little by little.

blessed2bme52 - How many months has it been for you now? I hope you are feeling better and do remember that those times you feel no improvement really doesn't mean improvement isn't coming. I just had a breakthrough the other day after weeks of feeling generally the same. The healing process on this is extremely weird.

Aprilchristine - You are still in the early stages and I really feel that any extra vitamins or nerve medication, whatever they may be, doesn't truly help things. It will heal with or without. Maybe it speeds things up, that I don't know, but except for the first few weeks where I took vitamin Band then stopped, I haven't taken anything and have still been healing. I think as long as we eat well and get rest, this will fix itself in due time. The length of time is what is insane though. People with broken bones heal faster than this! lol

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing better. I go through days now where I barely think about it anymore. Yes I still feel the area is not "right" yet, but eventually you get so used to it and the pain and tingles and tightness subsides where you won't be that scared or anxious about it anymore.

Hugs to all!!! xoxo
Blank
on christmas day, i will be at 5 months.  i am still 60%.  i have been experiencing a lot of burning, tightness, and tingling.  yes, it gets worse before it gets better.  i can feel lip balm when i put it on my bottom lip, but not totally.   about five of my bottom teeth still hurt when i brush them.  when i wash my face, my chin is really sore even for the wash cloth to rub across it.  i guess it is good that i can feel pain.  i just want my feeling back!!!!  i hope i don't have to wait a year, but if i do, oh well...

season's greetings!!!
Blank
I had my wisdom teeth took out a few days ago and can not feel my lip or chin.Even thought they are num my from teeth hurt. I will say my dentist is very understanding and wants me to come back in 3 weeks to check up on me and until I get the feeling back.
Blank
Just to update. I saw my oral surgeon last week and he mentioned that there is a surgery that can be done where they take a nerve from the foot and graft it in to the nerve in the jaw. He didn't recommend it for me necessarily because I am not experiencing pain, and the success rate is only 50 percent, but I thought I'd pass that information along to anyone who is in a tremendous amount of pain still after a year. It has been four and a half months for me. My surgeon said for me to come back in six months and he is guessing that I will be "a lot better." We shall see. I do honestly feel like a lot of the tingling is subsiding, but the numbness is not completely gone yet. The tightness remains and is the most frustrating part when I am out around people trying to talk and eat. Still on my supplements, and just praying and trusting the Lord with this. So we shall see. Merry Christmas to all!
Blank
Merry Christmas everyone! Thank you for the update Aprilchristine. In my case, I wouldn't elect for the surgery but others might be willing to try. it is nice to know there are options for healing.
I still have the major tightness - the fish hook feeling - the wet chin feeling when eating /drinking something cold, and occasional pain. I don't have the electricity-like tingling anymore, but feel sensations of pressure and light touch.
A family friend is a dentist and stayed with us for a week. I hadn't told him about this situation (are many of you like me and keep it secret from most people? I don't like to talk about it much!) and he is pretty confident the nerve will heal, but when? It is now six full months!!!
I take Advil once in a while, but am now convinced I will have to adjust to living with it. For me, too, I feel it most when talking and eating around people - I feel like I sputter and spew. Those few who know the situation tell me it does  NOT show on the outside, but I feel it!
I appreciate this community so much and eagerly read everyone's post. Again, thanks for sharing the ups and downs of your healing process!
Blank
Happy New Year Everyone!!  Hope you have been enjoying the holidays! I am determined to be happy this year - nerve damage or not :)

I am at almost 9 months - I would say I am about 80%.  I felt worse for a bit, but over the last week I feel better....Christmas miracles!

The holidays can be stressful, so I hope you have all been taking good care of yourselves.  Hopefully, you got to spend time with loved ones and had a peaceful celebration :)  I feel refreshed and ready to take on the new year.  My husband and I bought a 30 acre farm and we'll be moving in a few months, so I will be busy, busy, busy.  I have always dreamed of having a hobby farm - and now I do  :)  Hope your dreams are coming true also my friends!

Peace to all!  xoxox
Blank
Happy New Year to Everyone.  I am happy to see a lot of people are seeing steady recovery.  I was unable to post my comments because frankly I did not have good news.  It has been over 5 months since my daughter had her surgery.  She had about 30 % recovery about 2 months ago but since then there has been no change. We tried the rehab and the essential oil that Aprilchristine mentioned in this forum.  But I believe I applied the oil in a wrong way.  It actually made it worse.  She lost part of her sensation that she regained and her occasional tinglings and pressure dissappeared.  I know everybody react differently to aroma oil.  But I applied too much undiluted oil directly to her chin, which burned her chin to the extent it made her cry.  I am not sure if it caused permanent damage to her healing nerve.  I have been searching some articles about it but have not been able to find anything.  Does anybody know?  She is now feeling she would not have further recovery.  Her oral surgeon told us the success rate of nerve reconstruction surgery after three months will decrease as time goes by.  I hope everybody in this forum will heal in full very soon and 2014 will be a better year for you all.  Please post here if any of you have recovered after a long absense of recovery.  Thank you!
Blank
Hi all,
Just came here to say that I'm taking the doctor to court. I'm not American. I will give you more details later. Wish me luck.
Blank
I'm so sorry about your daughter's experience with the essential oils! What oils did you use? Were they pure therapeutic grade essential oils from Young Living? I would not trust any other oil company. I have used RC, Peppermint, Lemongrass, and Copiapa with no problems at all. The only one is Lemongrass which seems to burn just slightly. It is also recommended to dilute them with olive oil before applying. I don't ever do that, but just use one drop of each. I put them on my jaw and in my mouth where the tooth came out. I don't put them on my chin at all. I will ask some people I know if oils could damage the nerve. I really hope that is not the case for your daughter :(

As for me, I am noticing a little progress. I am noticing the strangeness and numbness and tingling less. I could feel my fingernails on my chin when I scratched the other day for what I think was the first time.

Blank
I'm just finding this amazing group. I had 2 wisdoms teeth extracted Thursday. Still no feeling in chin and bottom right lip. The other weird thing is when I swish warm salt water in my mouth the water comes out my left nostril. Not even the side that teeth were pulled.  Anyone else have that?  I'm scared to death!  
Blank
Hello everyone :)

It's update time! First of all, Happy New Year! Hope it's going well for you so far, or as best as it could be under the circumstances.

I have wonderful news to share. I am just shy by 1 week at being 11 months and I am extremely happy to report that I am between 90-95% completely healed. All that is left now is a minor feeling of tightness and a few tingles if I touch the area, but it's very minor. Last week I had some heavier tightness again and was complaining to my boyfriend who always reassures me that every time I complain of that, more feelings return. Well, as usual he was right. A few days later it let up some and I felt more normalcy. I am definitely in the final stages and I feel that I will be completely healed by the year mark on 2/21, or maybe even a little after which is fine, but it should be sooner than later.

I just want everyone here to know that I went though EXTREMELY bad moments and last year when this happened to me it was the toughest thing I ever had to endure, which I guess I should be thankful for, but this does heal, I promise you from the bottom of my heart! As long as you know the nerve wasn't severed and you are getting feelings back, little by little as it's such a slow process, then eventually everything will be okay.

Please know that I can answer any and all questions you may have so don't hesitate to message me on here or write back as I check all the time. I probably won't update again on my progress until the year mark, unless by some miracle I wake up before then and it's100% back to normal haha. However, now I barely even notice it on an everyday basis, only when I'm sitting alone watching TV or I really really think about it and move my mouth around. What I feel now though I could live with if I ever had to...

Hope everyone is healing well. Take care! xoxo
Blank
CONGRATULATIONS! Thank you for sharing the very good news! I imagine you will never take the small things in your life for granted after this recovery. At 61/2 months now, I COULD live with the tightness if I don't heal, but hope that I continue to make progress. Your story gives me hope.
I am sad to see new folks who join the group because that means that  yet another person has experienced the pain, the terror, and desperation of this injury. But, it also means they can learn from all the prior posts and receive support from the group. I have read and re-read the past posts to learn as much as I can. I was desparate for information on what had happened to me and what to expect in the future. Even though everyone's injury is different and the healing happens at a different pace, it is good to basically understand what has happened and what possibly to expect.
My dentist has dropped me like a "hot potato" - no contact to see if there is improvement, etc. I am sad and disappointed that he changed my life and then disappeared. I was his favorite patient when I was spending big bucks there!
I wish everyone in this community continued improvement! And to stay strong and positive! Although we mostly can't control our healing, we CAN control our own attitude, right? What's that old saying: what doesn't kill us makes us stronger ;-)
Blank
Just so you know too, my oral surgeon dropped me like a hot potato as well. My dentist however has been great about it and has spent many hours talking to me about this. The oral surgeon who did this to me on the other hand, well he disappeared and stopped checking up on me after the first month. I will never ever forgive him for that, nor will I ever talk to him again. I guess if they see we don't call in, then that means we are "fine" and they don't want to deal with our issue any longer.

Truly stinks, but we are getting through it by ourselves aren't we? :) Who needs them!? lol
Blank
Congrats to Starbite
Blank
I have been reading a lot of the comments. I was getting a little depressed because my chin and lip has been numb for the past 6 months. After reading this, I feel like there may be hope for me yet. I remember signing a paper from my OS about the chance I could become numb. Wow, who would think it would be me. I haven't had my implants done yet, because I also had a total knee replacement done a month later. I'm planning on seeing if they will get started within the next month.
So sorry for everyone who is going through this. It's not fun for sure. What is the longest time someone had this numbness ? One other question, can I have my implant done even through I'm still numb ?
Blank
My aunt works for an orthopedic specialist who deals often with nerve damage. He routinely tells patients that it may take up to 18-24 months for the nerves to "wake up." I sure hope it doesn't take that long for me and others here, but just a reminder to keep hoping and being patient.
Blank
This is really so great to hear because even though I am doing very well and close to being all better, I am almost at a year and probably won't be completely 100% in just one month. Thanks for sharing :)
Blank
Starbrite, I was wondering if you still experience any tingling feeling in your chin just randomly without touching it? I am just wondering because the random tingling and bubbling feeling seems to have stopped for me a few months ago, unless I touch my chin, then I feel it. I am wondering if this means the healing has stopped or if some healing can still take place? Does that make sense?
Blank
Aprilchristine - I am sorry for my delayed reply. Yes the oil my daughter used was pure therapeutic grade essential oils from Young Living; Thieves.  I am sure it was my fault to not follow the directions.  I am hoping it did not cause any further damage. I also was told by our oral surgeon that it takes many adults 2 to 3 years to recover from this type of nerve damage. One of my coworkers had this damage when he was in mid 40s and it took him two years to gain 80% back.  He said nothing happened during the first year and his dentist warned him that his nerve might never heal.  Yet even he has seen improvements.

StarBrite310 - Thank you very much for your encouragement and I am so happy to see you are in a steady recovery. I am confident that you will be in full recovery very soon.

blessed2bme52 - It is awesome that you are at 80%.  It give me hope for my daughter.

curtiscraig444 - I have been reading your posts and was happy to see you started seeing improvements.  I see that you decided to take your dentist to the court.  Is it because you are close to the time limit for the Statue of Limitation?  Good luck to you.  Please keep us posted with the progress.  I am thinking about following your way.

Bahas - My daughter had her nerve damaged about the same time you did yours.  I am sorry.  Have you had some improvements in the past 6 months?  I noticed everybody hea differently.  I am believing it is a matter of time.

I have been at this forum for almost 6 months and noticed most people have been getting better.  This gives me a hope.  I hope everybody here will recover in full in 2014.  
Blank
Hi Aprilchristine,

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I mainly only feel the tingling now if I touch that area of my chin. I no longer feel tingling on it's own, and the bubbling for sure left me long ago. Maybe once in a great while I think I feel a little tingly in my chin without me touching it, but nothing like I felt in the early stages. I do still get the occasional itchy feeling in my chin which always brings me a happy feeling of hope, only now I am able to scratch it away with no issues :) I felt like passing out a few times in the beginning when it would be soooo itchy with those crawlies and nothing to relieve it. Horrible feeling! I'm sure you remember it well.

Really my only complaint these days is the residual tightness that seems to linger, mostly I feel it in my teeth (canine especially). Although a billion times better than before (and getting better with every passing month), it still bugs me :( I am hoping and praying that it will correct itself soon.
Blank
Hi All!

It has been awhile since I posted, but I have been keeping up with you all and praying for your recovery.  I have been going through a change that I can't really describe - for the last 2 weeks or so, I feel like I have an over-abundance of feeling in my gum and inside lip.  It is like I feel too much instead of it being numb - and it hurts a lot at times - like the routine biting of my lip and cheek that I have grown used to - is almost unbearable.  I really don't know what to make of it, but I guess it is about healing.  I need to go to the dentist soon, but I hate the thought of having my teeth cleaned when my gums are so sensitve.

Bahas - I have not gone forward with the final stages of my implant yet - I told them I did not want to do it until the numbness was gone.  It will be a year in April - I suppose I will have to move on the next step soon.  Maybe it will help me from the constant biting of my tongue, cheek if I get the tooth in place.

To everyone else - hang in there!!!  Even though currently I feel over sensitive and strange - overall I know I am healing and so will you.  Everyday that goes by is one day closer to feeling "normal" again - but don't waste your days waiting - take hold of your life and live each day to the fullest!  It is a blessing to be here and get your support and offer you mine - we are a community - no one is alone in this  :)   Peace  xoxo
Blank
I wrote back in December about numbness after root canal.  At the time I was awaiting implant of tooth number 19.  I was extremely nervous at the prospect of the implant because I thought the numbness could get worse.  Well, thankfully it did not!!  I am now at the one year mark.  My most major symptom is the terrible tightness.  It feels like you would like to stretch your chin and lip out!  I no longer have nerve pain...just doesn't feel "right"  The progress as been so s-l-o-w I really couldn't tell any difference day to day.  Just after some time would pass and I would feel a little better.  To the posters above regarding implant surgery, as long as you have a fine periodontist that you trust he/she should be able to stay away from the nerve.  Mine did cone xrays to see precise placement of the nerve.  As it is, I feel about 80% since my dreaded root canal back last January.  I continue to pray for additional healing.  Some of your comments about healing taking 18-24 months has been very encouraging.  Thanks!  I will report back as soon as I have additional progress to report!
Blank
usagi3841, Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry about the experience with Thieves oil. I wouldn't blame yourself for this at all! I use that particular oil on myself and my children a lot in the winter time just to try and prevent us from the flu. I apply it directly to our skin and never had any problems. It must be that your daughter had some sort of unusual reaction to it. I really doubt that you did any further permanent damage to the nerves. You didn't report on how your daughter is doing, so I assume she is the same. I am praying for her recovery as well.

For me, yesterday and today my numbness seems to be a little less intrusive to my thoughts. I don't know if that means it is improving or I am just getting used to it. I say that a lot... anyway, we just keep waiting and hoping. And the stories of healings that took longer than 6 months are very encouraging for that.
Blank
Hello everyone! Glad I found this forum, I have read literally every post on your as I am in the same boat as everyone else here...

It seems as though my alveolar nerve was damaged as only my lip and chin are numb, not my tongue.. So far it's been 5 days since surgery and I'm still completely numb. I am hoping this will heal over time as many of you say.. So i guess it's time to just sit back and wait!
Blank
Joey19, I highly recommend seeing if you can get your dentist or oral surgeon to prescribe you a short dose of corticosteroids. I was completely numb the first 4-5 days and only starting having any tingling at all after I had been on the steroids for two days. You need to get any inflammation down as quickly as possible to reduce damage to the nerve. Here is an article on it that I showed my dentist. It involves dental implant surgery, but it applies here too. Also the article recommends being on ibuprofen for three weeks following the steroid treatment, which I missed and wish I had followed. All the best to you.

http://www.oralhealthgroup.com/news/mandibular-nerve-neurosensory-impairment-following-dental-implant-surgery-management-and-protocol/1001604108/?&er=NA
Blank
I had my medical court date yesterday. It was held at the forensic department of the health ministry building in my country. It didn't go well actually. the doctors didn't believe what I told them. It was like the doctor who did this to me had spoken to them already or maybe they were friends or something. I don't know the verdict yet, but they kept interrupting me during my defense and after 10 min asked me to leave the room. I'm a little scared they give the verdict in favor of the doctor. I haven't been able to sleep last night. It's 7 am in my country now that I'm writing this.

To those who don't know me, this happened to me 11 months ago. I went to this doctor for extraction of another tooth. When she finished extracting the first tooth, I got up to leave the room and pay at her secretaries desk. but then the doctor came after me and told me now that my right side is numb she can extract the impacted wisdom tooth in that side as well. so she took me back to the chair but after 5 hours she didn't manage to extract. she just stitched me up  sent me to another professional doctor. the second doctor did manage to extract it but told me I may never regain my sense because of the severity of the wound the first doctor caused. I am still numb on my right side and suffer from terrible tingling.
Blank
Hi All,

Curtiscraig - I am wondering if you got the verdict yet?  I am so sorry that they didn't seem to listen to you - how horrible after everything you have been through.  I hope you will continue to be strong and remember that the best revenge is for you to live your life and not let them steal anymore of your happiness.  Hugs and prayers for you.  xoxxo

Joey - welcome, I hope you are feeling a bit better already.  Those first few weeks are retched, but you WILL get through this.  :)

Betsy - thanks for the implant update - it comforts me to hear that you didn't get worse after you continued with the implant.  I am looking forward to having that molar back!  

Everyone else - hope you are doing well.  I have seen an improvement in the last week or so...the severe pain is gone again - thank God!!  I really feel like the affected area is shrinking - my front teeth don't seem as tight as they were - not totally normal, but on their way  :)

Peace my friends - stay warm if you are in the freezing north like me - be grateful if you live in the south - unless of course you are in one of those crazy areas that is experiencing unprecedented strange weather  :)  xoxo
Blank
It has been nearly 5 weeks since I had all four wisdom teeth removed and suffered nerve damage where just my left side of lip, chin and gum line were left numb.  I have most of the feeling back in my lip but my chin is still very numb.  For the past week or so the tingling, stinging and throbbing has subsided but now I have constant tightness in my chin and lip.  When I move my lip and chin I still feel a slight tingle.  I'm just wondering where I am in the healing process.  I also experienced TMJ so I had a lot of pain the first 3 weeks opening my mouth and chewing.  I still have not fully recovered from it either...I still have some pain when I fully open my jaw and when I move my lower jaw forward in an underbite position.  

I started going to a Chiropractor on week 2 who also does electronic acupuncture which did help me a lot with both the TMJ and the nerve damage because she was able to tell with the acupuncture tool that my nerve damage is not permanent.  

I'm also a Plexus Ambassador so on day 1 of my surgery I started taking the Plexus Nerve Health which contains a patented formula that helps regenerate new nerve endings.  I'm taking a full dose of it still and so I'm not sure what is helping my nerve damage more...Plexus, Acupuncture or time...or a combination of all three.  (:

Does anybody know what the different feeling sensations mean during the healing process?  My chiropractor said that the tightness and lack of severe tingling and throbbing is a good sign.  Do you all agree with that?
Blank
Hello all. Today is 5 weeks since I got all 4 wisdom teeth extracted. I was awake for my surgery but didn't feel a thing. Felt like I was in there for 20 minutes and that's it. Unfortunately, surgery took just about 2 hours. My bottom teeth were so impacted, OS had difficulty taking them out and said it was the worst he's ever done and he's definitely in his late 60s. The top 2 teeth came out within 10 minutes they were a breeze. I had a tough recovery, but everything except 1 thing is fine. And that is why everyone else is posting: My chin, lower tooth, and lower left side of lip has that numb sensation. I DO feel the tingling but mostly when I tap my tooth. I also had the burning sensation on the 2nd week, with tingling occuring mostly when I touch the area or at night. Recently, I've been getting really itchy around my chin. I'm going Monday for a second opinion from my dentist because OS has told me twice that all feeling should be back within a week. It's been 5 weeks like I said. Any opinions out there? I do feel a little better but I just can't believe something like this actually takes so long.
Blank
Hi,
I just got all 4 impacted wisdom teeth extracted nearly 10 hours ago, and while at first my entire mouth/chin felt numb, now it's just my left lower lip/chin. I wish you all a Refu'ah Shaleimah (Hebrew for "complete recovery"), and I have to thank you all for the forum, which I've been reading slightly obsessively between switching guazes. I sincerely hope that my numbness goes away, although my surgeon did mention before the surgery that my tooth was on the verge of touching my nerve, although he also assured me that "they were growing in such a way that removing them should have minimal risk." I guess I'll keep y'all updated. Thanks again!
Blank
~ 1 YEAR UPDATE ~ Separated in two posts because of character limits

Hi everyone! I cannot believe I have finally made it to the one year mark. As promised, I am writing another update on my current nerve damage status. I'd been thinking about what I was going to say on this big update for awhile now, whether I want this to be completely positive, or whether or not I want to actually be entirely honest, as I've always been, and not sugar coat anything.

I've decided to express both ways, because I want people who are currently healing within their 1 year point to truly understand where I am at, 365 days later…the good and the bad.

My nightmare began on February 21, 2013, a day that I will never forget for the rest of my life. Sounds dramatic, a bit OTT? Well, I probably would be laughed at by most, and while people deal with much worse in their life, our small group who have suffered from this know that, although it was never a life threatening mishap, it was a life altering mishap, a very traumatic one…for me at least.

I have written many times on this website throughout the year, mentioning the moments where I was feeling horrible, and those moments where I had breakthroughs and was feeling happier.

How do I feel today? 365 days later? Honestly, I really don't know, but let me explain what I mean by this…

The healing process from what we all now know as INFERIOR ALVEOLAR NERVE DAMAGE, is a strange and extremely slow one indeed. I don't think any explanation is needed on this and everyone I'm sure agrees. Healing is SLOWER than a snail.

Lets cut to the chase for one second and answer the million dollar question before I proceed. Am I healed at the one year mark? The point in time that almost all doctors have given us when we certainly didn't heal in full at 6 months. The one year mark waits for us in bright, shiny lights and we all can't wait to hit it!!! Well my online friends, I've hit it! Today is the big day…and my answer is, no! I'm not 100% healed.

Dun, dun dun! Lets play the sad music now for a moment…why am I not healed in full? My doctor said it should be healed at 12 months! What about those horror stories where if you aren't healed in one year then chances are you will be stuck like this for the REST OF YOUR LIFE??? AHHHH!

Okay cut the sad music. No, I'm not all healed and while I'm not going to lie, it does scare me a lot, I have healed a TREMENDOUS amount over the past 12 months. So much so that I can't truly complain, nor would that be fair to those who haven't healed as well as I have.

However here is the deal of where I am at on February 21, 2014!

LIP
• My lip has thankfully lost a lot of the residual numbness in the past month or so. It is still not all there feeling wise, please understand this, but now when I run my finger across it, I can feel my finger much more normally. When I put lip gloss, or chap stick on (I hate lipstick so…) I am starting to be able to feel the stickiness from the product better and can feel the outline of my lip of where it needs to go. Also, kissing my boyfriend, or someone on their head or cheek, now feels more normal to me, however it does feel less sensitive in that area, and like a "blank" spot if that makes sense, but this has gotten a lot better with every passing month, so I'm happy.
• LIP TESTS: I urge everyone to try this out. In the shower with the hot water running, I want you to run your wet finger over your wet lip just on the areas that are normal and do not have nerve damage. You should feel tickles, especially on the top lip, but focus more on the bottom and the side that wasn't damaged. Now try it out on the damaged side. Depending on how bad the nerve damage was for you, you probably won't feel those tickles and tingles. This is something I have tested on myself almost everyday for a year. While I do feel more tickles now than I have felt in months prior, it is still not right and nowhere near the normalcy of the other side. Whether or not these feelings ever come back as strong, I still just do not know. Of course I have also done the temperature test on my lip and while I can detect hot and cold very easily now, it is still not as strong as the other side. So coldness isn't has cold and hotness isn't as hot.

TEETH/GUMS
• Out of anything that was damaged, this has been the worst spot for me. Starting with severe and constant teeth pain when this first happened, it has been the one area that still feels the tightest. My front tooth and the one next to it have regained practically all feeling. The tooth that is still bothering me is my canine and the gum below it. If I push on the gum there, it hurts a bit. Yes, the pain and tightness has DRAMATICALLY loosened over the months and keeps getting better and better, but as I said earlier in this update, I'm being totally honest here and so I have to say that it is still on the tight side and still annoys the h e l l out of me. I sometimes wanna knock that tooth out thinking it will relieve pressure on the nerve. Who knows if it would!
• Brushing my teeth and flossing feels almost totally back to normal, but I do feel the slight differences when comparing to the other side. Nothing that bothers me though.
• TEETH TEST: I put water in my mouth or any liquid and run it against my teeth to see if I not only feel the temperature, but the actual liquid. Although not as prominent as the normal side, it feels better every month.

CHIN
• First thing I have to mention when it comes to the chin are the tingles. YES, YES, and YES. I still feel tingles when I touch my chin (only, not on its own anymore), however they are not as strong as they once were, but still are definitely there. I feel like when I rub my finger on my chin to feel the tingles, the tingling is the extra feeling that's missing from the chin, lip and teeth. I dunno if it's in my head or not, but I honestly believe when I feel the tingling, everything feels 100% back to normal. I hope I make sense on this and maybe others feel this way too?
• Pain in the chin area, like say from a blemish, is still mild. I feel pain, but it's more distant than it would be on the normal side. Same with temperature. I do feel temperature and even burned myself (not seriously) a few months back on my chin from a hot drink, but again it's still distant. However, this has reaaaally gotten a looooot better in the past couple of months and seems to continue getting better.
• CHIN TEST: Ice cubes!!! Put an ice cube on your chin to make sure you can feel it and how long it takes to feel the coldness. I personally am able to feel coldness on my chin better than hot for some reason. Also, I have poked my chin with my eyebrows tweezer to see the level of pain from that side to the normal side. Lastly, a powder puff...for us girls! When I put on my face powder, the puff always felt weird on my chin for months. It now feels totally normal :)

Continued in next post…
Blank
So all in all, I am gonna say confusingly enough that there is still a bit of numbness, however I'm not sure if I can call it numbness, because it's not really numb! LOL, maybe you guys know what I mean! That's why I said I'm not really sure how I feel. I've gained sooo much feeling back and can feel and detect things like before this all happened to me, but it's not exactly the same yet...

Percentage wise of where I'm at? I'm so bad at this because who really knows. Maybe 90-95%? But some days everything gets so tight again that I feel it dips below those high percentages, and then more feelings return days later that it goes back and forth in my mind of how close I am to 100%. It's frustrating!

Occasionally I still get the very itchy chin, but I have no problem scratching the itchiness away. Plus the itchies make me sooo happy now because I know it's still healing and the nerves are continuing to spark back up. I also have been feeling sharp pain in my jaw area near the molars. Anyone feel this too? That to me is also a great sign! So I definitely think I am still healing. Recently I've read this type of injury can actually take up to 18 months to heal, and possibly even 3 years according to what a very prominent plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills recently told me! My dentist (not Oral Surgeon) also told me that he had a patient who had it take 18 months and that we all shouldn't set a timer on this. Everyone heals differently. The body doesn't truly know time and that it is now 365 days later where it says to itself, "Ohhh! It's a year! Now I will be all better!" Just doesn't work this way :)

I do hope my update sheds some light on things and how you may be feeling at the one year mark. It surprises me when I've read on here about others who healed a supposedly 100% after only like 6-8 months, but then again there was just no way their situation was as severe as mine was, obviously. I still take comport in reading (see link below) that what happened to me was most likely a nerve that was partially severed. If the nerves are partially severed, there will be an initial complete numbness, followed by a gradual return of sensation.There will probably be a residual numbness like "pins and needles" that could take a long time to wear off, perhaps 12 months or longer.

Longer is the KEYWORD!!!

Read more here: http://www.****.com/numb-tongue.html#ixzz2tvDFsucL

This is exactly what I have been enduring, so I still have a lot of hope that one day I will feel 100% back to total normalcy. It's definitely closer than further away and I have to say, I'm rather pleased with how far I've come in my healing. Could it be better? Of course, but I still am holding out hope and most days, especially when I'm busy, I don't even notice it anymore. It's only when I'm watching TV or driving that I truly think about it or notice the lingering altered sensations.

Thanks everyone for reading and I wish you well. I'll be back of course continuing to update as the days and months go on. Feel free to ask any questions :)
Blank
Sorry, they filtered the website I wanted everyone to take a look at. Just type in Numb Tongue or Numb Lip from Nerve Damage in the search on Yahoo. It's the first site that comes up!
Blank
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to share your progress!! I read and REREAD everyone's posts for information, support, and understanding! Only those of us in our small blog group understand how this nerve damage has affected us physically and mentally. No one - my family or friends - asks me about it anymore and I rarely bring it up. But at eight months post surgery, this injury still plagues me. Of course I am living my life fully, but the twisted feeling on my lower left area is always with me! Actually most of what you are experiencing is also my story. However, I have never mentioned that my adult son had his four wisdom teeth pulled about 10 years ago and has NEVER regained the feeling from the same nerve damage. But he has  learned to live with it.
Most days I go about my life, ignoring the situation as best I can. And some days I am really MAD! Of course that doesn't help, so I try to ignore it and continue telling myself the mantra: THIS IS NOT LIFE THREATENING ONLY LIFE ALTERING.
I need to get back into my dentist for some work but just can't do it right now!! I can't imagine having an oral injection at this point. I use a Sonicare tooth brush and a water pick to try to ward off additional dental decay, etc. I have always been a "dentalphobic" and now sometimes I think it was a premonition ;-)
Everyone, please continue to share your progress and concerns. And, again, thank you StarBrite for your lengthy communication. I learned from it and appreciate the time you took to tell us your story!
Godd bless all of us during this journey!
Blank
You are very welcome! I am so glad you enjoyed reading my update. Regarding your son, I am sorry he has gone through this as well, but I do have a question. When you say he never regained the feeling after 10 years, do you mean he is still completely numb? No feeling returned at all? Did he improve at least a little?

And where would you say you are at percentage wise?
Blank
My son is completely numb in his bottom left chin and lip. The feeling has never returned. He says his affected area is NOT like the twisted or fish hook sensation that I have - he has no feeling. He does not have the tingling or "wierd" chin sensations that I have. I am also fortunate that I did not ever have the painful teeth and gums that many of you experience. My son also had some bone fragments come through his gum in the early months. It seems we all experience this devastating situation just a little differently.

I am not sure how to guage my percentage of healing since this has all evolved over eight months now. And the feeling changes along the way. i used to get those strong lightening bolt feelings throughh the area, but not any more. I don't have pain anywhere either, and I no longer feel as though my chin is wet when I drink something cold. The best description of my current status is as though someone has twisted my chin and lip. Although everyone swears they can see nothing when I speak, I feel as though I am still deadened from novicane in that area. And when I talk too fast, I can sort of sputter at times ;-)

Please continue to keep us posted on your progress!
Blank
Hello everyone,

I`m writing you from Romania...I`m very glad I found this community as I am starting to freak out about this weird numbness I have.

I had my down right wisdom tooth extracted 15 days ago.Previously, I had a CT on both down right and left wisdom teeth to see exactly the nerve path. The surgery lasted almost 90 minutes as the tooth was impacted.

Since then, beside the pain and a short bleeding in the first days, I have this numbness on the right side of the lower lip, right half chin and gum. Since the first day after the surgery I had this tingling on the numb area, sometimes very intense. I could eat only on the left side.

In the last week, I have also this burning feeling on the numb area. Moreover, my 4 front teeth hurt and the pain is constant but bearable. the good thing is that i started to eat a little bit normal, but still on the left side...I cannot open my mouth very wide.

I emailed the doctor, and he said the numbness is normal. He mentioned he had patients experiencing numbness from 2 up to 6 months,and my surgery was not a simple one. He specified that the nerve was not cut, only mechanically scared during the extraction, as the tooth was impacted.

I am starting to loose patience with this numbness. I very nervous that it could affect my life and all my activities.

I just want it to go away and have a normal life, not to think every second on this weird numbness...

Blank
NumbRomania,

One things that stand out to me in your story is the fact that you have felt tingling in the numb area from the first day. That is a very good sign!! I felt no tingling at all in the numb area for at least the first week. Tingling=healing, in my opinion. I think that you will heal. It will just may take a while.
Blank
Thank you for the reply April,

I hope it will be as you mentioned...It`s been 18 days since the surgery and the main feeling now is the pain in the front teeth and some tinglings in the chin, together with the burning feeling. The numb area is still "tight" and I feel almost nothing (just a small pressure) when I touch it with an object...

I must say that the down area of the cheeck (where the wisdom tooth was positioned) is still a little inflated (but it`s hard when I touch it). Probably the bone is still affected. The doctor said that during the recovery, the inflated area puts pressure of the nerve and this is one of the reasons of being numb. I don`t know what to say...

Regards.
Blank
The quicker you can bring down the swelling the better for the nerve. See if your doctor will prescribe a short course of corticosteroids, or at least be on 800 mg or Ibuprofin regularly for at least 2 weeks. These are things I wish my oral surgeon had told me! The teeth being painful and the burning is expected, but should go away. At least mine did.

Sorry you are going through this!

Blank
Thanks for the tips April.

I had for 2 weeks Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid) and Aulin (for pain). It prevented any infection and the swelling evolved quite good. Now it`s barely visible. For the swelling I used also ice, especially in the first 2 weeks.

It`s not the swelling or the pain, but the numbness is the unease factor....Thank you for the support.

Blank
Hi again,

Today I`m 3 weeks from the surgey. I still have half lip, chin and gum numb. here is a weekly summary of the feelings:

Week 1 - swelling (very big in the first 2-3 days), pain in the surgery point, NUMBNESS, tight feeling on the numb area, tinglings, I couldn`t close my mouth properly because of the swelling, I couldn`t eat properly, I couldn`t sleep on the right side.

Week 2 - less swelling, less pain, NUMBNESS, tight feeling on the numb area, tinglings, burning feeling, I could close my mouth and eat properly, but only on the other side, front teeth pain, weird feeling on the right teeth (close to the removed wisdom).

Week 3 - very small swelling, no pain on the wisdom tooth surgery point, NUMBNESS, tight feeling, tinglings (like someones points you with a needle), burning feeling (on the lips), FRONT TEETH PAIN, the weird feeling on the right teeth reduced a bit, I can eat on both sides, but I avoid the right one as the gum in the surgery point is not 100% healed.

I marked on an image the numb area (I`m not the guy in the pic :):
http://postimg.org/image/fc5qfpcnd/

I`ll try to come with a weekly update.
Regards.
Blank
I don't think I have won the case. There has been no call from the judges, meaning they verdict wsn't in my favor. The doctors didn't believe Im not feeling well. This burning and tingling is killing me. I was only feeling a little bit better in month 8. Now It's one year, I ca't believe this.
Blank
Have any of you guys/gals had Jaw surgery or is everyone just experiencing this from wisdom teeth extraction?
Blank
Is there anyone who completely got healed? My wisdom teeth were impacted and had to removed them surgically. It was done in November 2011 and to this day the tingling and burning sensation continues. Doctors did say this tingling sensation is good and can take up to 6 months or more. The burning sensation did lessen after a year but its still not gone completely. The only thing that helps is chapstick! I am still waiting when this will be over. Did any medication help you?
Blank
That is a great question! Many of us have reported our ongoing progress and it happens in varying degrees - some more than others. I am now at a little over 8 months and still have a significantly tight and somewhat numb area between my lower left lip and jaw. My suspicion is that I won't have much more healing, but miracles do happen!!
Has anyone totally recovered from this nerve damage? If yes, how long did the healing process take?
Best wishes to all of us on this blog. ONLY we know the physical and emotional toll this injury takes on us since it mostly does not show on the outside!
Blank
on march 25, i will be at 8 months.  i am still numb.  i am probably at 70 - 75% now.  i still feel tingling and tightness from time to time and most of all, it's annoying.  i will be glad when it's over.  i hope my feeling returns by the year mark.  i will give another update soon!  i hope everyone feels better soon!
Blank
Hi!

It`s been exactly 1 month since the surgery.

I still have the numbness, but I also feel a small improvement, as I think a recovered 10-15 % of the feelings. I make this "toothbrush test" by touching the numb area with the toothbrush, and I feel it just a little. However, the lip burning is getting stronger and also the tightness...

I try to be optimistic...

Good luck to everyone with the recovery.
Blank
Hi,

Boy am I glad to have bumped into this forum, finally people who understand what I'm going through. I had my bottom right wisdom tooth extracted. Developed a dry socket, tight numb bottom lip with some severe tingling, painful at times. When I would try to explain how I felt to people around me I could tell that people would be thinking extracting a tooth can not possibly be that bad, my boyfriend would feel bad for me but still could not understand my predicament .

I'm on my second week hopefully I don't have to go for the whole year with this dis comfort. I need my mouth for work in a legal back ground where I have to do a lot of talking.

Just trying to be optimistic!
Blank

It`s 5 weeks since the surgery. I am still numb, but there has been a very slight improvement since last week. Now I think I am 30% recovered on my chin, but my half lip is still numb. The tinglings reduced significantly, although there are moments when they are quite annoying. I most obvious feeling is the TIGHTNESS and when I touch my chin it tickles a little, so it`s probably starting to heal.

@Liznumbs: I understand perfectly how you feel. You have all my support. Good luck in you recovery!
Blank
Here I am again. 8 months out now. Still the numbness and strangeness lingers. So frustrating. I haven't seen much progress in the last few months. The only difference I have noticed is I can put on lipstick without missing my lip and getting it on my chin.

I sliced the tip/side of my finger in 2011 and I notice that the area isn't tingly anymore like it was for a few years. So hopefully, this chin numbness will heal as well.

I also read somewhere that people who have nerve pain in their jaw sometimes undergo a procedure where they damage the nerve on purpose in order to alleviate the pain. It causes the numbness, but they said it usually only lasts about two years.

Guess all this to say that I can't give up hope yet for recovery. Just having to live with it for now.
Blank
Hi April,

Thank you for the update. Don`t give up hope. I`m pretty sure you are on the right direction with the healing.

For me, It`s more than two months from the surgery. The feeling I have is quite unusual. The numbness reduced significantly (I feel when I touch the lip or chin with my finger or with an object), but the area is very very sensitive when touching (intense burning feeling). I feel it also very tight (which it bothers me a lot).

Also, when I clench my teeth, it feel like an electric impulse in the chin an down-right teeth.

I hope the progress will continue....

Good luck to everybody!
Blank
Viewing 201-375 comments:
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dental Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity