Dental Health Expert Forum
Nerve Damage?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Nerve Damage?

I went in for a crown last week (4/17) and had four shots of local anesthesia. The entire right side of my face was numb until very late that night. The next day I noticed some swelling in my cheek, and the top right area of my mouth was not responding correctly, but my dentist said not to worry about it. As of today (4/25) the swelling has gone down, but there has been little improvement so far around my mouth. Examples: my smile still looks more "fake" on one side, my pucker is lopsided, and whistling is difficult.

What happened? Is this nerve damage? Is it going to be permanent? I'm terrified. I would appreciate any information or advice. Thank you.
I would go back to your dentist and get it evaluated.  It may just be extremely sore and irritated but it should be almost healed by now.  Its been over a week.  

How do your lips feel?  Is there any permanent numbness or tingling?
Hello Dr. Tsang, and thank you so much for your reply.

My cheek still has a tiny slightly sore spot, but the swelling seems to be basically gone. My GP has told me I can take 800mg ibuprofen doses to help reduce any possible lasting inflammation that may be causing issues.

As for my lips, there is no numbness or tingling. The only issue is that I am still not able to move the top side of my lip correctly -- my smile, speaking, etc. are all a bit tilted to the opposite side. It looks and feels very strange.

I went in to see my dentist on Monday (4/21), but all I was told was that it was a bit unusual, but I would be fine. I will definitely go see him again after the weekend though.

What could be causing this? Should I be worried about it being permanent?

Thank you very much for your time.
I suppose I should have added that my cheek still feels a bit odd around where the swelling was. It's not numb, but my sense of touch in the area seems slightly dulled.

Thank you.
Which tooth was worked on?  I'm guessing there may be some residual inflammation in the area that's causing a weird sensation in the area.  Perhaps close enough to affect the nerves near the lip and causing a strange sensation.  I would say that its something you would just keep an eye on and if it worsens or lingers longer than a few more weeks, you may want to see an oral surgeon or neurologist possibly
Thank you again for your reply.

I'm sorry I don't know tooth numbers, but the tooth worked on was the second premolar on my right side.

Thank you for suggestions. I really hope this is only temporary. I will see a specialist if it doesn't get better soon.
Hey watermelon, Dr. Tsang is right. There might be some residual left that causing an intensive pain. It might have affected the nerve. Don’t wait longer, you need professional help. Consult your surgeon, the situation might become worsen.