Dental Health Community
Nerve damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Nerve damage

I am desperate for help. I recently had a dental implant on my top right, next to a root canaled tooth which had been done 20 years ago. The dentist told me to have a veneer on this tooth since it was quite yellow. After the implant crown and veneer was put in, I started to feel numbness on my top and bottom lips. I have had this numbness for nearly 3 months now. Finally, the dentist took an xray and said the root of the root canaled tooth is infected and he will perform an apicoectomies to remove the infection.Am I suffering from Nerve damage? The dentist hasn't mentioned nerve damage at all. Has anyone else had this and can help me . I am so gutted that i now may lose anther tooth. Please please can someone help. I am so distressed and can't think of anything else.
Many thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas at all.

This discussion is related to Dental nerve damage?  Swollen cheeks..
Is the same dentist doing all this work himself?  I would expect at least 2 specialists involved in the procedures you mentioned.

As for nerve damaged, where the nerve for the upper and lower lip connect is well beyond the scope of what the dentist can reach, so its unlikely to be caused by the implant.

If you don't understand your treatment, I would always suggest getting a second opinion.
Numbness of upper and lower lips is not likely  associated with dental procedures and periapical infection. Assuming one side of lips is involved, it's more related to nerve dysfunction. Seeing a neurologist is advised.