Dental Health Community
New pain 3 days after molar extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

New pain 3 days after molar extraction

I had my # 30 molar extracted Wed afternoon, and had minimal pain the first day then no pain by yesterday. Today, Sat., I am having a constant dull pain in the site area and surrounding teeth as well as my bones in that side of my face and stiffness there almost up to my ear. There is still some swelling in the jaw near the extraction. I took good care of the site and did everything I was told. Soft foods, soup, no hot, no straw, no carbonated beverages, no rinsing, only started rinsing a few times a day starting the second day, very very gently with salt water.
I don't think I lost the blood clot, but it's hard to see. I don't remember feeling or seeing anything come out after removing the gauze and tea bag the first day. It was a difficult extraction, had to break the tooth into three parts, and have two stitches. I can see what looks like areas of black, white, grayish in the hole, I assume that's the blood clot? If I did lose the clot and was developing dry socket, wouldn't I see an empty hole?

The dentist did say I have a huge hole.

Also I was on penicillin starting a few days prior to the extraction and am still taking it. So could I still be getting an infection?

I am stumped by this new pain. Could it be from starting to chew food in the last day or so? Only on the good side of my mouth?

I go to a dental clinic and there is no one to talk to there until Monday. (today is Sat.) So any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
forgot to mention I am 56 years old and diabetic.
Pain has eased up considerably. I have been avoiding chewing, and I think that is what the problem was. I guess I'll have to stay on softer foods for a bit longer.
if for some reason the pain comes back it could be a dry socket and they are very painful. if it comes back at any time go to you oral surgeon and have them check you out. you should have a follow up appt within the next week or two. bring up that pain when you go in for that even if it doesnt come back.
thanks, meggster22. It is much better, seems it acts up only after times when I have to chew a meal on the other side. Like I said, was a difficult extraction. It also swells a bit in the jaw after each meal, like the chewing action irritates it even though it's on the other side. But the real pain is just about gone now and I can see the blood clot pretty clearly now. It's turned white. I never expected an extraction to cause this much discomfort. Figured it would only last a couple of days. Have a follow up appt. soon.