Dental Health Expert Forum
Nic in tooth?? How and what to do about it??

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I went to the dentist last week for cleaning and they told me I had some gum inflamation (inflammation) so I've been brushing my teeth three times (or more) a day than my normal once a day. Today when I was brushing I saw a brown line on my tooth that I thought was just food or something, so I brushed again and it didnt come off. I have braces on so i used a toothpick(probably not the best thing) to poke at it to see if it was a stain or something. The brown line is actually a slight chip or nick in my tooth probably only a half a centimeter long. I could hardly even tell it was a chip since the braces wire was in the way and not at all deep. The chip actually curves a bit to follow the braces.

When I went to the doctor's they didn't mention it so I don't think I had it then, but what could've happened to cause it?? Was I brushing too hard, too much?? Was it caused by my braces?? What should I do about it?? Will it cause any problems??