Odd tongue sucking habit, PLEASE HELP!
It sounds strange, but whenever I sleep or am in a restful state of mind, I suck on my tongue by tucking my teeth over my top teeth and suckle. Similar to thumb sucking, and I've doing it since I was little. I'm now 20 and now I'm more worried about dental issues than ever. My dentist said I have beautiful teeth, but I've become extremely paranoid.

I've tried retainers with small pokey things to prevent my tongue, but all that did was cause lacerations and I still continued. It makes it difficult because my tongue is in my mouth and most times then not its a subconscious habit and I can't control it.

I can't find any help with this and even my dentist wasn't sure if it'd cause damage.

I'd like to if it will affect my teeth in any way, if not I'll continue and just accept it because if I don't do it I cannot sleep at night.

Please someone help with some insight, I'm at my wit's end.
I meant tucking my TONGUE over my top teeth.
Unusual tongue habit has always been a difficult contition to treat. Your descriptions suggest tongue thrust habbit. Tongue thrust may cause anterior teeth open bite or front teeth flaring out.In addition, abnormal tongue position may contribute to abnormal breathing pattern, which may contribute to neck, upper back or chest pain.
I have few cases of tongue thrust patients successfully corrected by occlusal appliance.
Seeing a tmj specialist is advised.
THATS TRUE I HAD AN OVER BITE. WHEN THE BOTTOM STICK OUT MORE THEN TOP CORRECT?

Ive also been sucking on my tongue since a child and at the same time play with my hair when I had hair. Im surprised when I googled Tongue sucking versus thumb sucking there were not comparison or explanation. I do suck my tongue when I am relaxed or hungry.
My dentist said I have perfect teeth so wouldn't some damage have been done by now since I'm now 20 and it started when I was like 6?
I am 38 and also suck my tongue.  I've been doing this since I was a baby. My dentists always says I have a beautiful bite and I have never had a cavity. It seems like it helps me to relax especially at night or right before falling asleep. I never dreamed anyone else in the world had this habit or even heard of it for that matter. I only started becoming curious about it when the show My Strange Addiction came on the air. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person that has this odd habit.
I'm 25 aand I also suck my tongue...my doctor says I have a cross bite..andd I really don't like the llook and feel,becos it gives me jaw pain and then headache.besides that,I really want to leaarn to stop this habit,its embarrassing.how do I stop. Btw,m surprised that other peopple also experience wat I am.
I'm 27 and I've been sucking my tongue since I can remember.  I've tried to stop but when I do at night, I don't sleep well and I just start subconsciously.  I got braces about a year ago and I thought (well, hoped) that it would make me stop buuuuut unfortunately that was a lost cause.  Glad to hear that someone else does this too!  Good luck, everyone!  =)
I'm 34 and I have been sucking my tongue since my parents got me to give up the thumb at age 3. I had a lisp and slight over bite. Both are gone now. I quit sucking my tongue when I had it pierced at age 16. I was actually unable to contimue sucking it the way I did, I would fold the tongue upward and suck the tip toward the back of my throat, kind of like i could swallow it. Well four years ago when I removed my tongue jewelry for various reasons I started up again immediately, without even realizing it. Up until now its been an occasional thing but the past few weeks ita been constant and very intense. It makes me look stupid and its causing sores on my tongue. Im very bothered and confused and I wish I knew why and how to stop it. :(
i have the exact same problem but the problem is that i have an open pit, i can`t pit anything normally it causes a Psychological problem, i actually feel stupid, i never knew that anyone else has it . i really need a treatment, i can`t pit anything and my face looks weird because my lower jaw does not apply to the upper jaw ,i really hate it i tried to stop but i can`t, i even tied my tongue inside my mouth so that i can`t do it but i ended up doing it. i really don`t know what to do. and i look very stupid in front of my family ,i really hate it i`m 18 years old and i suck my tongue that`s very embarrassing
Im 20 also and never thought if someone wit this same habbit, ive been doing it since i was,born even my son do it and im a business executive woman, so yes im really embarrassed by it but i can never stop no matter how much ive tried. Sucking my tougue is a way to confront myself when im going through a bad situaton or time and as much as i hate doing it where ever:-(
I say it a sigb of being a big baby......lol. This is why i hate it the most.
Im 16 and Ive also been sucking my tongue since I was a baby. Seems it's hereditary as my mom had the same problem. It is causing a wicked overbite and sometimes affects my breathing. Anyone with any suggestions?
I am 15 and had this problem all my life. I have a terribly large open bite, and my front teeth are pushed out to also cause and over bite. My lower jaw has also shifted somewhat to the right due to this. It can affect your teeth very badly like in my case. I went to get braces but it would have been pointless cause they make retainers just for this problem but all it did was cause pain cause I kept doing it.
I used to suck my tongue. Ever since I was a baby until I got a tongue guard put in my mouth which accompanied braces when I was 15. The tongue guard was in my mouth for a year. The tongue guard prevented me from sucking. I would get so frustrated at night because that had been my only way of getting any sleep. It had the same effect a pacifier would have for a baby.

I finally learned to get to sleep well without doing it. Even after they took it out, my tongue was trained to stay in my mouth, My advise is to seek therapy. That is the most effective treatment for this.

Other than that, there is wearing a night guard (temporary) or tongue guard (permanent). With the tongue guard, you can't just take it out...you're stuck with it until your dentist removes it. I wouldn't recommend a night guard very highly unless you have discipline/self-control.
i am 17 and i also suck my tongue! my top teeth are slightly over my bottom teeth and iv asked for braces before but my dentist thinks my teeth are fine and good! its annoying because i cant stop and its causing my teeth to push out and also become very spaced. it gets me insecure at times and i need a solution!!!!
i suck my tongue and im 12 and my mom tries to get me to stop but i do it without thinking i also did it when i was a baby.
i am 12 years old and i suck my tongue my mom has tried to stop me from **** it but i do it without thinking.
I used to suck my tongue right up until I was 28. I used to rub the labels you find on clothes and the likes and suck my tongue. It was very pleasureable but it was something I would loved to have stopped doing. Anyway I had to get my tonsils removed as I suffered from tonsil stones and now I cant suck my tongue as its not comfortable to do so since my tonsils where removed.  Its an unexpected bonus of the surgery although I sort of miss the pleasure lol
I'm 26 and I suck my tongue! I have perfect teeth and no cavities. I think my tongue sucking actually kept my teeth straight over the years. I have been doing it since I was a baby and I have an old blue pillow case that I like to hold when I'm sleepy or stressed. I don't really see a problem with it. I don't do it outside of the house and it really helps me sleep. It's nice to know that I'm not alone though!
I have sucked my teeth for years. I think it started when my teeth felt a bit furry and I would try and clean them subconsciously by sucking on them. Well, years later it has had a really bad side effect. I have developed Leukoplakia on the underside of my tongue and have had to have two very painful surgeries, under local anesthetic to remove it. Four injections into the tongue is really nasty. Leukoplakia is damage to skin cells caused by constant trauma, in my case my tongue rubbing against the side of my teeth. If Leukoplakia is untreated it can become cancerous. I first became aware of it because I had a burning sensation under my tongue. When I looked carefully, I could see a milky white patch under my tongue. I went to the doctor and found out what it was. If you have chipped teeth or sharp edges on your teeth, get your dentist to smooth of fill. On my last surgery one of the stitches developed an abscess, extremely painfull, could hardly swallow for days. I am still waiting for the results on whether its cancerous or not. Dentists are meant to check your mouth for Leukoplakia, I am not sure they do. Be aware. If you can stop yourself sucking on your teeth, do it.
I am 26 year old since I can remember myself I sucked my tongue (the kind that you try to swallow it) I do it unconsciously when I am thinking or when I am about to sleep. In addition to the sucking I like to smell things for example when I was little I had a bunny and a doll with strange hair that I liked to smell when I grew older I smelled pillows and then my sleeves and in the summers my own skin (it stills calms me). I thought I was the only one with this strange habit and since I was little my parents where trying to stop me but two years ago I learnt that both were sucking their tongues since childhood so I guess it's in the family. I don;t have any dental problems from this habit in fact my teeth are perfect and I was never ashamed for it.
i love to do it especially when i smell things i love, like the AC smell from cars, machine smell and even the smell of rain. I just can't stop myself from it. It leaves me with a dry throat and sore tongue. Im happy to know that there are other people who do this. I thought i was the only one who did this.
i love to do it especially when i smell things i love, like the AC smell from cars, machine smell and even the smell of rain. I just cant stop myself from it. It leaves me with a dry throat and sore tongue. Im happy to know that there are other people who do this. I thought i was the only one who did this.
I also have the same situation as you. But how did you stop lisping?
Wow...so many of us... my story is that when I was a baby I got a huge cold sore and was unable to eat/drink but more importantly suck my dummy! As a substitute for this I started sucking my tongue and still do to this date aged 44(cannot stop it) so relaxing.

For all those that suck their tongue to sleep...can you with a cold and blocked nose??

It can be embrassing at times of tiredness as most of us wonder off into a trance like state of sucking our tongues and if you jaw slightly moves up and down like mine people can stare! Trying not to eat too much at lunch on a summers afternoon and start to doze off sucking your tongue...
I am 61 and have sucked my tongue all my life.  I have to force myself not do it in front of people or in public.  I didn't know anyone else in the world ever did this but me.  I'm glad to know there are others out there.
its okay I have the same habit Im14 and my teeth have pushing out  since I was 3 years old. Its hard to stop because your so use to it.Now I struggle to stop because I'm going to get my braces.
But just know that your now the only one.
I am 20 and also having the same problem, sometimes i get too carried away and when someone spots me it feels soo embarassing. I also touch my belly button sometimes when i suck my tongue. I really want τ̅o stop this, Iτ̅s so uncool!
Lol, so many people. Anyway, I started this habit soon after I was born. My parents tried to get me to stop, even to an extent of putting chilly on my tongue so I wouldn't push it back in. But the tongue has its own powerful mind :)
So I want to stop this because first my gap in the front has parted even more, at one time I had a lisp. But luckily it's gone. But now my teeth have gone even further out of my mouth. And my jaw has now shifted to the left. Now the teeth aren't corresponding with the lower and upper part. Like where the canines have their own spot at the bottom. And also now all the sucking has caused my nose to make strange sounds. Like a chirping bird, or a pen clicking. It is so annoying and loud. You can hear it in a room even if there's noise.
I really want to stop because soon I'll get my braces and all this research has shown me that it won't help. So any advice would be nice.
Besides that, I can't believe there are so many people with this habit. I also have the habit of smelling things. Like once I hit my finger on the door, and it had this blood clot smell. Which I liked very much, now I always put my finger near my nose. Even though it's gone.
And also the touching something soft for the pleasure, but I stroke my ear.

Help would be nice.
I suck my tongue and I'm 15 I want to stop because my teeth is starting to push up and my mom said that she's not gonna give me braces into I stop
My brother and sister told me to stop they said I look like a retard and begin to imitate me I tell them that its harder to stop than sucking your thumb because they both suck their thumb and decided they wanted to stop and succeeded with it ,so my brother said I'll help you and said every time you do that I will pinch you and he pinched me almost every day I still didn't stop as a matter of fact I'm sucking on it while I'm typing this paragraph. I also get pick on at school but that not what I care about its my teeth. what helps me is to chew gum but I can't buy that everyday because I'm just a kid sure my mother could buy me some but she doesn't like to waste money.
Oh and I also mess with my ears while I suck my tongue any body else do that
I do not suck my tongue and teeth, do not understand how most people have this experience ah. I think this is a habit of it, like someone sleeping to touch the ears to fall asleep.
I have it too, whenever I stop doing it just automatically goes back to the way it was, I notice tht I only do it when am thinking or when am busy and especially in my sleep. Am 19 and I have been doing it for as long as u can remember.
I'm 30 this year and have been sucking my gouge for as long as I can remember. It's increasingly become painful when I wake up in the morning and I think I bite into my tongue while sleeping because of positioning to enable me to suck it.
While I was in my early 20's I'd made major steps towards stopping by simply being very conscious and stopping myself and it really helped; I almost didn't do it anymore. Then, there was a major tragedy in my life and before I realised it, I just went back to doing it and worse than before. I want to try stopping again; it's very uncomfortable most of the time. The pain and discomfort now outweigh the pleasure. Also, my older sister does it too and it looks really weird :) I must say it's a very difficult habit to stop as unlike the finger, your tongue is already in your mouth.
i dont suck my tongue but i am only doing this research for my 13 year old brother. He used to pull under his armpit but stopped after a long time then he moved to in between his arm sometimes pulling his neck a swell. But now he  he pulls his neck mostly whilst sucking his tongue and it is very irritating to watch.
I am 18 and my dentist says that my teeth are perfectly fine (apart from some baby teeth due to breaking my jaw when I was younger).
I do the same thing - I am kind of glad that so many people have the same problem or condition or whatnot as I do.
I have started since I was a baby. I never sucked my thumb and I never had a dummy but I did break my jaw when I was in year 2.
I mainly do it when I am stressed and I also play with my hair. I thought it was because I had family issues when I was younger and it had just stuck. I do it mainly subconsciously now and it reassures and calms me down. No idea why. I go through periods when I do it and when I don't. It just depends on stress. It doesn't hurt but it can sometimes get very loud. Not many people have picked up that I do it only a few close friends who have known me since primary. I don't really care if it goes away or not as at the moment it is not causing any harm.
It pushes your teeth forward and you have to have braces
I used to suck my tongue ever since I was a child. I tried to stop but I could not. I later came across someone who had a similar problem but prayed to God and the problem stopped. That same day, I also prayed to God. Praise JESUS, I no longer suck my tongue. Your testimony will be the next if you BELIEVE. Accept Jesus into your life and have FAITH. There is nothing too hard for God to do. You can even make a vow like the way I did promising that I was going to share my testimony once the healing takes place. MAKE SURE it is a vow you can pay and pay the vow once you notice the tongue sucking has stopped.
I'm 26 and unfortunately I have had this tongue sucking problem too since I could remember. I used to have a baby blanket with soft fabric I would pet between my thumb And index finger until I fell asleep. I literally slept with that until the 8th grade. It was so hard to give my blanket with my fabric up because it helped me go to sleep. I have had braces twice because of over bites and a gap between my teeth. Unfortunately I couldn't  kick the tongue sucking habit while I was sleeping so my teeth always moved back, it was a waste of money those braces. I never experienced a lisp and honestly never knew all of you experience the same habit as myself. I thought I was the only one. Dentist seem to not have a solid answer for this either. I also had a spiked wire built in the roof of my mouth that would stab my tongue if I suck it out while I was sleeping. It got so bad my tongue would bleed so I cut it out of my mouth. When I was 22 about 4 years ago I wanted my teeth fixed once and for all so I decided to get 4 veneers on the front of my teeth it cost around 6,000$ total. It honestly made me so happy because I have tried to fix my teeth so many times and finally in two doctor visits I had the smile I always dreamed of. But my doctor explained if I keep sucking my tongue my veneers will move just like my teeth, and 4 years later I'm experiencing the change again, not a gap but a slight unnoticeable movement. Well not noticable now at least. I did get a special night retainer that has a tiny hole in the top of the retainer that keeps your tongue back at night. I used it a lot the first year but it is so uncomfortable to try to break this habit that's like asking a person to try to sleep with your eyes open, it's just to hard you'll be up all night, that's how we feel about sleeping with our tongues in our mouth! The dentist told me I would have to wear my retainer every night for the rest of my life because it is to hard to break this habit after doing it for so many years. Which is sad, I don't mind it when I would go to slumber parties when I was little my girlfriends always thought it was cute. And my boyfriend thinks it's cute as well. I don't mind doing it I just don't want messed up teeth after all I have done to try to keep them straight for longer then 4 years before there doomed once again! :(
Hello everyone!

All of my life I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I didn't know what my tongue sucking was called but on a radio show this morning I heard it's called Tongue Thrusting (good to know it has a label) it results from weening children off breast feeding. I am 22 years old and I've been sucking since I was a child, can't remember never sucking.

Anyway I finally found the solution to my sucking habit. I noticed a lot of people are seeking solutions and I want to share what helped me stop sucking. This sucking is almost an addiction to me, in fact it is an addiction. I noticed that the urge to suck my tongue can be overwhelming and so I learnt to tell myself that this urge will pass and not to give in to the momentary pleasure. Just remind yourself that the urge will pass and it does pass. All you have to do is that once you catch yourself sucking stop immediately, and trust in this process. Just stop sucking immediately and remind yourself that the urge will pass and that you're the one in control, not the urge. Them remove your mind from the issue of sucking, think of something else to distract yourself. Whenever the urge comes just repeat the process. The urge to suck my tongue always passes, keep reminding yourself that the urge will pass and eventually the urge won't come. Do not dwell on your tongue sucking as a problem. do not focus your mind on it, ignore the tongue sucking and eventually the thought of sucking will leave you.

I must say that like most addiction, tongue sucking never really leaves. If you give in to it again, it'll come back in full force. I noticed that after I successfully stopped sucking and I went through a traumatic experience, I turned to sucking to calm me down, almost like some people turn to alcohol to drown their sorrows. It never really goes away because its a pleasure you can call up by yourself. When I stopped sucking the urge never came on its own. I notice that I was the one that sought the pleasure of sucking. I have stopped sucking so many times that I have become a master of it. I realised that I could control it at will.

The longest I have gone without sucking is 3 years but I messed that track record on my own. Once you follow my advice and realise that sucking is an urge you can actively control, it'll be easy to stop sucking once you decide to. Do not see your tongue sucking as a problem you have to deal with, it is a part of you that you can control simply by not giving in to the urge to suck. I see my tongue sucking as a unique gift, the pleasure and bliss it gives me is on the same scale as orgasm only, it isn't sexual and it lasts much longer.

Yes you can stop sucking! The only tool you need is the serious desire to stop sucking your tongue and follow my tips above. Good luck!
I have this problem too. People look at me crazy because i don't even know i am doing it. I think it has something to do with daydreaming and stress! while at least for me...