Dental Health Expert Forum
Odor coming from dental crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Odor coming from dental crown

Approximately one and a half years ago, I had a crown replaced on the upper right side.  However, after the temporary crown was put into place, a foul taste emanated from that area.  Additionally, when the permanent crown replaced it, the same taste/odor remained.

I was sent to a periodontist, who treated the gum and was given medication.  However, the odor/taste is still there!.  The crown has just recently loosened.  Please, I am deperate.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like the crown is not fitting correctly. The odor usually eminates from the bacteria that accumulates under an ill fitting crown. Get it replaced.
if the crown is loose, have a dentist remove it altogether and evaluate the condition of the tooth underneath. Bad odors ususally come from one of 4 things: a crown that does not fit well, especially at the margins (edges), decay under the crown, a failing cement seal, or periodontal/food impaction problem around the crown. see a good dentist to evaluate the problem.
Thank you so much for answering.  I intend to do so.  This problem is so annoying, and I can't wait to have it resolved!
Thank you so much for your help.  I will take your advice!
I am having the exact same problem with odor around a crown that was put on about 1 year ago.  When I went for my 6 month cleaning and checkup. I told the dentist the odor was very bad and if I touch that area or floss, it would smell very bad. I never had that problem until the crown was put on. He said your gums look fine and you don't have any cavities, just rinse with peroide and baking soda. Well, that didn't stop it.  Well, that dental office just closed up one day and was no longer in business!  Thanks to reading these comments, I realized this is a problem with the crown.

So, I called the dental office today who owned that practice who now has another dental office and I told them what has been going on with my crown that one of their dental office put on. They want to see me today! I will let you know what happens.

I had a problem previously addressed with a crown that had a bad/taste odor. Well my dentist is going to replace the crown.
He removed the crown, and worked on the tooth.  To my knowledge
the tooth was not cracked or decayed.  He put the old crown back
on, and took impressions for the new one. When I touch the crown
with my tongue, it still has a bitter taste to it.  I'm wondering
whether this problem will be resolved with a new crown.  This has
never happened to me before.  

A related discussion, Crown that smells and taste bad was started.
This has happened with 2 of my crowns and I cannot get any dentist to take it seriously.. The smell is horrible.. If I floss very agressive side to side under the cap the smell will go away for a while.. But come back soon after.. I haven't been able to kiss my husband in 2 years without worrying.. I wish dentists were more concerned with their patients real issues and not just their pocketbooks.. I'm sick of them looking at me like I'm crazy.. I know by looking on the Internet this problem obviously is happening to a lot of people.. This smell is so devistating.. You'd think a good dentist would want to find a solution..

Good luck finding some help and answers.